Brownface - why is it seen as racist?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Zoso
Übergod

Re: Brownface - why is it seen as racist?

Post by Zoso »

I wonder if the cartoonist that drew or voiced aladin was the same race as aladin or is there a bigger issue here . How many aladin costumes were made that year ? Every other kid was one !
So sick of this pc garbage .
Strong and free
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Zoso wrote:I wonder if the cartoonist that drew or voiced aladin was the same race as aladin or is there a bigger issue here . How many aladin costumes were made that year ? Every other kid was one !
So sick of this pc garbage .

Your missing the whole point here. I am not a pc supporter, yet I am pleased to shove this back at JT for all the name calling and politic correct speak he has been throwing at the Canadian public, as I believe many others are.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Prolly she will vote for JT :/ - what a shabby piece of work
https://globalnews.ca/news/5944673/edmo ... sentenced/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 25th, 2019, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cross posting
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I have read that Jesus was not white but instead he was black or brown.
For decades he has been portrayed as white. So is it racist to dress up in blackface as Jesus?
As for Aladdin we also do not know what his ethnicity was. Was he a fictional character or a real person?
It would appear that the PCs are playing fast and loose with this topic which shows how desperate they are to get re-elected. If this is all they can come up with I can not imagine how they could possibly govern our country. I say shame on the Conservatives for making this an election issue.
Waste not
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Grandan wrote:I have read that Jesus was not white but instead he was black or brown.
For decades he has been portrayed as white. So is it racist to dress up in blackface as Jesus?
As for Aladdin we also do not know what his ethnicity was. Was he a fictional character or a real person?
It would appear that the PCs are playing fast and loose with this topic which shows how desperate they are to get re-elected. If this is all they can come up with I can not imagine how they could possibly govern our country. I say shame on the Conservatives for making this an election issue.

Jesus was a Jew, so likely of middle eastern appearance (think palestinians, not the lighter jews). Yes he was usually portrayed as lighter/whiter, blue eyes, a little blondish sometimes etc.
I was curious about Aladdin too, so I did a little homework on it. The story apparently originated in China, so he would have been chinese I suppose. The story migrated back toward the middle east, and got popularized more in Arabia. Now back in those days most indigenous Arabs were fairly dark, not the lighter Arabs of today who are actually more likely of Turkish (lighter skinned extraction). but there are still many dark skinned indigenous Arabs.
So I hope that answers your question. Certainly it seems that Disney made Aladdin much loved and more acceptable (lighter) than if he'd been protrayed as a dark skinned indigenous Arab boy.
It really is kind of silly to make it an election issue, although Canada could certain do some more discussions on racial perceptions, and how minorities seem to be not very happy I guess with some of our odder cultural habits like dressing up, or making cartoons based on people from other countries.
You can look up photos of indigenous Arabs, they were pretty dark, so Trudeau was not that far off.
Laurane

Post by Laurane »

I got a prize for my Blackface costume when I was 7......crossed the Pacific (dateline) on a ship and the party was a dressup deal. My father blacked my face with shoe polish so I could be an Arab and wear his special red Fez cap.

The polish made me sick so I had to leave the party and have a bath to wash it off......it was not fun, but the Captain came to our cabin to give me candy and a trophy for my efforts.

Blackface Bad ™ [icon_lol2.gif] Candy good......

Bunch of nonsense - but PC is coming back to bite those social justice warriors who have far too much time on their hands worrying about silly little things and not enough time working and producing. Most folks don't have energy to go digging up old photos of those they don't like.

Wouldn't vote for a Liberal even if it was the only choice, but I sure don't consider Trudeau's "acting ability and costuming" his greatest idiocy - he has far more serious problems. His poor kids.
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

This snowflake generation cries over everything. Ohhhh no you're racist if you don't want Ariel to be black. But want the cartoon to stay the exactly the same.....blah blah blah. How am I a racist if I want it to be the same as the original story line? People really need to lighten up. It was a costume party, what's the big deal? Now if you'll all excuse me, I'm gonna dust off my copy of Blazing Saddles and have a laugh :)
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”