Using Social Media To Locate Deadbeat Tenants

Bearto

Re: Using Social Media To Locate Deadbeat Tenants

Post by Bearto »

Social Media is a wonderful tool I think.... I didnt have to go to far into it and already have some of the information I was looking for which I will verify over the next few days.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Deadbeat tenants are able to get away with commtting fraud against landlords bc the police and prosecutors do not prosecute for bounced cheques. In the US writing a bad cheque means you go to jail.

Never let anyone move in until you have the deposit and 1st months rent paid for in cash or by certified cheque.

These deadbeats have ripped off 7 landlords in the past 2 years. All landlords need to be aware of this scam as there are other tenants out there comitting this type of fraud.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2448454815/
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Many people let their cats run wild to crap all over their neighbors yards, wreck paint on cars
cats go to the bathroom on cars ?
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Read the whole sentence, bc that's not what I said. But since you ask, they prefer to spray the tires and fight on the hood. Since I don't allow cats anymore, my neighbors are much happier w/o the crap in their kid's sandbox. Sounds like you let your cats run loose to bother the neighbors, but that's for another thread.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Here you go...

A tenant from hell Micheal Keaton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxrE-Gz2cc
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Charles Whitman II
Board Meister

Post by Charles Whitman II »

As a landlord, what does the ex-tenent owe you money for? I assume before you let anyone move in you get first and last months rent and a deposit. Doesn't pay rent? kick 'em out. keep deposit. wreck the carpet? keep deposit. more damage than deposit covers? that's what insurance is for. This seems to be more an effort to shame someone who owes you some coin, than to settle a contract dispute....
"If you're going to be crazy, find a way to get paid for it, or they're gonna lock you up." - HST
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Charles Whitman II wrote:As a landlord, what does the ex-tenent owe you money for? I assume before you let anyone move in you get first and last months rent and a deposit. Doesn't pay rent? kick 'em out. keep deposit. wreck the carpet? keep deposit. more damage than deposit covers? that's what insurance is for. This seems to be more an effort to shame someone who owes you some coin, than to settle a contract dispute....

In BC you cannot collect first and last. You can collect a half month's rent for a deposit, and the first months rent before they move in. You have to file a claim within 15 days before you can keep a deposit longer than that. If you keep the deposit longer than 15 days without filing a claim, you have to pay the tenant double the amount of the deposit. A half month's deposit doesn't go very far to replace flooring or repaint.

You can rent a half million dollar asset with a tiny deposit, pay rent with rubber cheques, cause damage, and tell the landlord to go screw themselves. Many landlords lose thousands of dollars bc they don't know the system, and this only encourages deadbeats to cheat the next naive landlord.

As far as kicking them out, if you do it the legal way with a Sherriff/Bailiff, it will take months.

Nowhere in your post do you acknowledge any tenant responsibility. Tenant wrecks the place? Then "that's what insurance is for". No it isn't. Insurance doesn't cover tenant damages, some of which is often deliberate. Why shouldn't the tenant pay?

Contract disputes are collected through the courts, and landlords who do so are following the law. If someone who cheats me actually has enough of a conscious to feel shamed, so what. They brought it upon themselves. Maybe it will teach them not to do it again.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

1669 wrote:
bank account # and address, driver's licence #, SIN #, etc etc. If they refuse to complete the application in full, they should be rejected. Good tenants understand the screening process is meant to weed out bad tenants, and anyone who refuses is hiding something and should be rejected.

Sorry buddy, if you think someone is hiding something by not sharing sensitive information that can be used to rip me off blind you're mistaken. I don trust you anymore than you trust me and what guarantees do i have that this information wont end up in the wrong hands. Further more, you have no legal right to ask for a sin number. None.

When I see these questions I walk away.
Charles Whitman II
Board Meister

"In BC you cant...."
I am a property owner and landlord.
To move into anything I own it's first, last and 1/2 for deposit.
You ain't got it, you don't get it.
Don't pay the rent on the first... 48 hours buddy, you're homeless.

Screen your tenants.

PS - never needed a cop or bailiff to remove a tenant.
"If you're going to be crazy, find a way to get paid for it, or they're gonna lock you up." - HST
Charles Whitman II
Board Meister

PS - Bank account number and SIN are none of the landlord's business.

Previous two addresses, length of occupation and references on the other hand.....
KTMC

Post by KTMC »

Well 1669,

As being a previous tenant and now a landlord myself, I don't agree with providing SIN and Bank info. I will NEVER give my SIN out to any application. Don't rent to me, fine. Bank info I can get for you when we sign the papers.

In another note, in my younger years I lived in a lot of rental places and I have had great landlords and not so great landlords and I have gotten property managers fired because of wrongful doings. I even had one landlord gift me the money to put on the downpayment to buy his house. It didn't start as a rent to own situation but it turned out like it because we where good people.

I have had a lot of issues trying to find a place to live with my little 9 lbs dog. I had no problems providing references for the dog, including past rents and vet info or even encouraging the landlord to meet the dog. But I have also seen a lot of place to rent that smell like cat pee that you would NOT BELIEVE! And they still want to let cats live there but oh, not my little dog. And another thing that I absolutely hated was the discrimination because my husband and I where a young couple with a child. I hated that even though we both had good jobs we where still turned down because of our age. Like I've said, we have been good renters and even offered to pay 50/50 for appliances and take care of the yards. We always cleaned, top to bottom when we moved out and rented carpet cleaners and I have Always gotten my damage deposit back.

I have also had horrible tenants that absolutely ruined my other property. DD doesn't come close to covering the damage and there where no animals involved in this, unless you include the people. References checked out, Bosses, etc and they where still no good, dead beat people and they weren't young either. I have just never understood the idea of wrecking someone else's stuff. Clean up after yourself, take care of your, or other people's things and pay your rent (yes i Unfortunately had a couple instances where I could not pay my rent on time) but I always paid when I could, and again always got my DD given back to me even with a kid and a dog in the house lol.
Dear Life, I have a complete grasp on the fact that you are not fair... So please, quit teaching me that lesson!
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Sorry buddy, if you think someone is hiding something by not sharing sensitive information that can be used to rip me off blind you're mistaken. I don trust you anymore than you trust me and what guarantees do i have that this information wont end up in the wrong hands. Further more, you have no legal right to ask for a sin number. None.

When I see these questions I walk away.[/quote]

I have every legal right to ask for a SIN # and and you have every legal right to refuse and to rent somewhere else. Rip you off blind? I'm the one putting his property at risk. I'm always happy to pass on this kind of tenant.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Charles Whitman II wrote:PS - Bank account number and SIN are none of the landlord's business.

Previous two addresses, length of occupation and references on the other hand.....

It is the law that a tenant must provide post dated cheques, so yes, bank account # is the landlord's business. The landlord has the legal right to ask for a SIN #, and the tenant has the legal right to refuse to give it. If you want to rent my million dollar house, and you dont want to giv me your SIN #, then I say keep looking for a place to live.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Charles Whitman II wrote:"In BC you cant...."
I am a property owner and landlord.
To move into anything I own it's first, last and 1/2 for deposit.
You ain't got it, you don't get it.
Don't pay the rent on the first... 48 hours buddy, you're homeless.

Screen your tenants.

PS - never needed a cop or bailiff to remove a tenant.

I like your attitude, but unfortunately the tenant can go straight to the RTA and get an order forcing you to return the last months rent. I also prefer to evict myself, but if you use force, and the tenants call the police, you could wind up in a cell.
Too bad the most effective methods are illegal.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

KTMC wrote:Well 1669,

As being a previous tenant and now a landlord myself, I don't agree with providing SIN and Bank info. I will NEVER give my SIN out to any application. Don't rent to me, fine. Bank info I can get for you when we sign the papers.

In another note, in my younger years I lived in a lot of rental places and I have had great landlords and not so great landlords and I have gotten property managers fired because of wrongful doings. I even had one landlord gift me the money to put on the downpayment to buy his house. It didn't start as a rent to own situation but it turned out like it because we where good people.

I have had a lot of issues trying to find a place to live with my little 9 lbs dog. I had no problems providing references for the dog, including past rents and vet info or even encouraging the landlord to meet the dog. But I have also seen a lot of place to rent that smell like cat pee that you would NOT BELIEVE! And they still want to let cats live there but oh, not my little dog. And another thing that I absolutely hated was the discrimination because my husband and I where a young couple with a child. I hated that even though we both had good jobs we where still turned down because of our age. Like I've said, we have been good renters and even offered to pay 50/50 for appliances and take care of the yards. We always cleaned, top to bottom when we moved out and rented carpet cleaners and I have Always gotten my damage deposit back.

I have also had horrible tenants that absolutely ruined my other property. DD doesn't come close to covering the damage and there where no animals involved in this, unless you include the people. References checked out, Bosses, etc and they where still no good, dead beat people and they weren't young either. I have just never understood the idea of wrecking someone else's stuff. Clean up after yourself, take care of your, or other people's things and pay your rent (yes i Unfortunately had a couple instances where I could not pay my rent on time) but I always paid when I could, and again always got my DD given back to me even with a kid and a dog in the house lol.

I rent to dogs but won't rent to cats anymore. Cats cause huge damage to flooring, and the only way to get rid of the ammonia/urine odor is to tear out and replace all of the flooring, and seal the subfloor or replace that also.

Even older tenants with good jobs can be deadbeats. Most professional landlords will run a credit check. If they have bad credit and have missed payments, they are not worth the risk. Tenants with good jobs and an R1 credit rating are the best. If a tenant refuses a credit check, you don't want to rent to them anyways.

Return to “Central Okanagan”