Video Billboard

Teaps
Board Meister

Video Billboard

Post by Teaps »

I don't mind a video billboard along the highway at all, but the positioning of it is *bleep*!!!!!!! It's DIRECTLY in front of you as your heading towards bridge hill and it's flashing once every few seconds. If there was a driver with epilepsy...BAM....Siezure, leading to accident leading to possible death because of lack of ability to brace ones-self. Way to go WFN...Way to show your retardedness once again...
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Re: Video Billboard

Post by RR24K »

So that's were it went. It was out by duck lake (Ellison Lake). Well enjoy.
hampster1
Fledgling

Post by hampster1 »

roadrunner24k wrote:So that's were it went. It was out by duck lake (Ellison Lake). Well enjoy.

love that "Well, ENJOY!!!"

I dont see what the big deal with it is? If your such a bad driver that this fixed sign would cause you to be in a accident, Then you probably should not be on the road to begin with :coffeecanuck: Its almost a scarey thought looking at the poll castanet did, And see it showing that most of the people think its a hazard. The people that clicked yes, I would consider the hazard.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

hampster1 wrote:
roadrunner24k wrote:So that's were it went. It was out by duck lake (Ellison Lake). Well enjoy.

love that "Well, ENJOY!!!"

I dont see what the big deal with it is? If your such a bad driver that this fixed sign would cause you to be in a accident, Then you probably should not be on the road to begin with :coffeecanuck: Its almost a scarey thought looking at the poll castanet did, And see it showing that most of the people think its a hazard. The people that clicked yes, I would consider the hazard.

I just dislike all billboard's. IMO they are visual pollution. Has nothing to do with being distracted.
hampster1
Fledgling

Post by hampster1 »

Agree! However this was not about the appearance of them, or if there nice to look at. Its about if you think its safe having a digital one! And if you think its a hazard
Last edited by hampster1 on Jan 22nd, 2009, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCambell
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JohnCambell »

I feel it is potentially a hazard. When you coming from Westbank you notice it from quite a bit back. Then it keeps changing, so your eye is drawin back to it, then back to the road, then it changes again, your eye looks again, and so on.

I wouldn't say it will make me smash my truck up, but between being there and not, you can't really say that it has absolutley no effect on peoples driving, that's for sure.
hampster1
Fledgling

Post by hampster1 »

JohnCambell wrote:I feel it is potentially a hazard. When you coming from Westbank you notice it from quite a bit back. Then it keeps changing, so your eye is drawin back to it, then back to the road, then it changes again, your eye looks again, and so on.

I wouldn't say it will make me smash my truck up, but between being there and not, you can't really say that it has absolutley no effect on peoples driving, that's for sure.

That is part of being an "AWARE" driver. Your aware its there but thats all you should note, because your eyes are on the road and everything else thats around! But the probleam is not you and me, or the billboard. Its all the "n" drivers and people who cant process things quickly, That it then becomes a big hazard, so people are right in that sence
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Teaps wrote:I don't mind a video billboard along the highway at all, but the positioning of it is *bleep*!!!!!!! It's DIRECTLY in front of you as your heading towards bridge hill and it's flashing once every few seconds. If there was a driver with epilepsy...BAM....Siezure, leading to accident leading to possible death because of lack of ability to brace ones-self. Way to go WFN...Way to show your retardedness once again...

I do have epilepsy it does not work that way. The few seconds that you see that sign will not cause a seizures. In cases were you would have a seizure with that short of exposure you would not be permitted to have a drivers licence.
As for drivers that do not have epilepsy if you are so easily distracted you should not be driving as well.

As I said in a earlier to make short it's just eye sore "that all"
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Rather than asking if the Bill Board is a hazard, Castanet should have had the poll question ask if the Bill Board is just a really stupid idea, and an eyesore, or is it a nice addition to BillBoardLand.... err... West Kelowna.
bystander
Fledgling

Post by bystander »

Billboards not only suck, they are poor advertising value. I would love to see them banned.
eremenko911

Post by eremenko911 »

It definitely will not make me crash, but it will however burn my retina's out! Especially when your eyes have adjusted to the dark in that patch before the billboard. I hated driving home from Vernon at that spot because it is a distraction and hurts your eyes. But now of course they had to move it to route I take regularly.I would consider it to be worse than HID headlights, because not only is it bright but it flashes. :photoop:
WFN clearly just needs money which is why they feel the need to put the billboards up, but really, as if drivers were not bad enough already... There are laws for distracting lights on a car. Like neons. So why don't we just put strobe lights every kilometer of bridge hill! That would be just as much fun driving in. rate0:
hampster1
Fledgling

Post by hampster1 »

Having driven in metro Vancouver at night b4, you don’t usually notice them as much, because there in well lit areas, and the added light pollution makes it seem not as bright. In this case we have a generally very dark section of road as it is. One should defiantly write a letter to the WFN, and tell them how wrong it is of them to allow this on there property, and get 10 000 signatures on a potion and submit it to the highway department, asking for a ban on highway billboard advertising within 150 feet of the highway!
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Post by blondewithbrains »

This billboard is no more distracting than people on their cellphones while driving...to me that is more dangerous than the billboard...Yes its bright, but over time you will learn to shut it out just like all the other ones...

I can imagine this thread if the advertisement on it was for the Saxx underwear!!! LOL!!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

hampster1 wrote:love that "Well, ENJOY!!!"

Just wait until you have to drive toward it at night. It is just too bright. There should be a sensor on it that dims the sign a bit at night. Just like driving into a set of high beam headlights. As someone said it used to be along Duck Lake. I am very glad to see it gone from here.

[quote'"bystander"]Billboards not only suck, they are poor advertising value. I would love to see them banned.[/quote]

They are banned!! The only place that you will ever see them is on native land. I am not sure what laws there are preventing them anywhere else, but only reserves have them. The westside are not the only ones. There is the ones in Winfield, as well as all of the boards at the top of the hill as you are approaching Enderby.
i_ski

Post by i_ski »

I hadn't seen the sign until last night and OMG the thing is hideous. It lights up everything. It's absolutely a distraction. I'm literally sickened by it's existence!

Return to “Central Okanagan”