Feral cats

ddiiaanne
Übergod

Re: Feral cats

Post by ddiiaanne »

I am so tired of the many stray cats hanging out in my yard. They dig in the garbage, they cry and cry and cry. They're probably very hungry but I can't start feeding all the strays in the neighborhood.

I do have some compassion for them...especially the newest tiny kitten who's joined the group of about 4 of them who are always lurking around.

But enough now! What can I do to chase them away for good?
Doing what I can, with what I have, where I am.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

ddiiaanne wrote:I am so tired of the many stray cats hanging out in my yard. They dig in the garbage, they cry and cry and cry. They're probably very hungry but I can't start feeding all the strays in the neighborhood.

I do have some compassion for them...especially the newest tiny kitten who's joined the group of about 4 of them who are always lurking around.

Moth balls tied up in the feet from pantyhose (so they wont try to eat it). Works for skunks, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

ddiiaanne wrote:I am so tired of the many stray cats hanging out in my yard. They dig in the garbage, they cry and cry and cry. They're probably very hungry but I can't start feeding all the strays in the neighborhood.

Can you not get traps and then relocate them to the SPCA?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

Triple 6 wrote:

Can you not get traps and then relocate them to the SPCA?

SPCA will not take feral cats...and will not do anything if you live on WFN land. Sadly we have many feral cats living next door.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

donnaleelee wrote:SPCA will not take feral cats...and will not do anything if you live on WFN land. Sadly we have many feral cats living next door.

I didn't know that about the SPCA, but makes sense. So if you live on WFN can you contact them? They should since it's their land, be able to trap the cats and have them fixed? they won't. sigh. I'm sure you've tried. I have no suggestions for you. sorry.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

Try TRACS, they took in some feral cats in my neighbourhood years ago. Mama cat had 9 kittens, and they were all caught by a neighbour. We adopted 2 and they kept mama, the rest went to TRACS in Glenrosa. Not sure if she still does take them in.
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

Triple 6 wrote:
donnaleelee wrote:SPCA will not take feral cats...and will not do anything if you live on WFN land. Sadly we have many feral cats living next door.

I didn't know that about the SPCA, but makes sense. So if you live on WFN can you contact them? They should since it's their land, be able to trap the cats and have them fixed? they won't. sigh. I'm sure you've tried. I have no suggestions for you. sorry.

BINGO....nobody will do anything and the owner of the cats (who says they are not her's however live at her place) just thinks its a big joke and lets them keep breeding. They poop, spray and get into everyone's garbage....guess someday I'll move when I win the lottery...lol.
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

southernfrau wrote:Try TRACS, they took in some feral cats in my neighbourhood years ago. Mama cat had 9 kittens, and they were all caught by a neighbour. We adopted 2 and they kept mama, the rest went to TRACS in Glenrosa. Not sure if she still does take them in.

Worth a try but I doubt that they will end the neverending cycle of this particular person doing this over and over....sigh.
ddiiaanne
Übergod

Post by ddiiaanne »

Discouraging situation....
Doing what I can, with what I have, where I am.
Tlee19

Post by Tlee19 »

It's so sad that these cats are treated so poorly when it's the fault of an irresponsible pet owner...
At Critteraid we work with feral cats, the younger they are when captured the better chance they'll have at trusting humans and eventually being a family pet.

All the contact information can be found at http://www.Critteraid.org
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Thanks for posting Tara_! Hopefully the op can get in contact with you!
srk

Post by srk »

Well, I am in the same situation as the thread poster, but on my property there are 60+ adult feral cats and just counted at least 16 new kittens that are almost impossible to catch. We rent a bunch of property and when a tenant decided to ditch out on us last second, they tend to leave their cat, which started this problem.. I have brought SPCA kittens in the past, they now decline my kittens I catch due to them having no more space. My only option is to bring "CERTAIN" kittens to the pet store Purple Sea Horse in rutland, which is a heck of a drive for me, for them just to pick the cutest kittens out of the batch to try and sell.. I have been thinking about catching and relocating the adult cats but I do not want to drop this problem on someone else or have the heart to have the chance of them not making it up in the hills... I wake up to my vehicles having paw prints all over, my back deck is a mess because of these cats. Not to mention to waking up to the female cat whine when they are in heat directly underneath my bedroom window at 4 A.M. It is out of control really. People tell me just to you know get them spayed, but I do not have that kind of money. It's just terrible.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I have adopted a feral cat .The woman I got them from had the humane society help with shots and neutering. They are all volunteer. The SPCA just wanted to destroy them cause they could not sell them. Puppy Pimps.
Peace be with you.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

kibbs wrote:I have adopted a feral cat .The woman I got them from had the humane society help with shots and neutering. They are all volunteer. The SPCA just wanted to destroy them cause they could not sell them. Puppy Pimps.

Lets try again.Ha.
How much did you pay for your feral cat from the Humane Society?
So do you keep your feral cat outside in a barn perhaps?
If it was a true feral cat then the SPCA can not sell a cat that is dangerous.
CameraShy

Post by CameraShy »

I have been rescuing cats for 10yrs, and I think I can help. I have a 14 acre farm, with some newly built enclosures that would be great for housing a lot of these cats. I will need some help with the cost of the spaying/neutering, but I will contact SPCA, TRACS, and Critteraid as well. These poor little creatures are suffering because of the one person in 100 that lets their animals roam around un-fixed. My email is [email protected] I can come and pick up any of these guys that you can trap (in a humane live trap of course!) Let's get this problem solved and show those "people" that we will not allow this to happen!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”