Warning! Smith Creek Flume Trail

ktowncichlids

Re: Warning! Smith Creek Flume Trail

Post by ktowncichlids »

I am told the signs hung in Smith creek were scanned and printed and hung privately and Regional has no idea about them, I can't say I know any dirt bikers that have ever done this, Props to mtn bikers!

Also, After more digging I found out from people in talus they have seen a few hikers and mtn bikers putting logs across trails near tallus/smith creek,
fluid power

Post by fluid power »

ktowncichlids wrote:Also, After more digging I found out from people in talus they have seen a few hikers and mtn bikers putting logs across trails near tallus/smith creek,

Being a mountain biker myself, I can't imagine wanting to place logs across the trail. In fact, I usually stop to remove them. In my opinion, the logs that are placed across the trails and in the corners are really annoying but not really a deterrent to anyone. It would be very interesting to talk to whomever it is placing the wood on the trail to find out what it is they think they are accomplishing by doing that.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Anyone know what's going on in Smith Creek? Someone has gone through considerable expense to widen and grade the dirt road. Is development coming?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Was wondering the same thing Poindexter. Stopped and talked with a couple walking their dog a few weeks ago and asked them. He mentioned that all the equipment being used belonged to the Lewis's who own one of the ranches at the end of Smith Creek Road. He speculated that the Lewis's had also bought the bible camp property adjacent to the large field. The couple I spoke with were of the opinion that the plan was to renovate the bible camp property to some sort of camp ground/dude ranch/hotel/B&B and making the road easier to navigate was part of the plan. They were also of the opinion that the work was being done on their own but I would think RDCO or MoT would need to be involved at some point.

Anyways, this is all speculation at this point. This couple also mentioned the field is owned by a developer and they wouldn't be surprised to see houses on it one day. I sure hope not!

Went up to Feel the Love Sunday afternoon and there were quite a few trees down over the trail both on the way up and down. I cleared two out of the way but the rest were too big. I imagine after the storm Sunday night that there are even more.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I was under the impression that development on those properties was hindered due to the fact the the first hairpin off the pavement is on private property. Maybe just a legal easement agreement was made? If the the Lewis family bought the bible camp property for a private venture that is great. They certainly have the financial means to do the road upgrades.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Hope you're right Steve-O, saw them cleaning up the bible camp with the same equipment used to level and grade the road.
So chances are that's all that's happening.

Logman, I had heard the same thing. I also heard they had another alternative for the access road but they needed the owner of the last house on Doucette to sell so they could punch it through there. Hopefully that guy never sells because I'd imagine the developer would be first in line to snap the property up.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

A warning for those walking their dogs between Smith Creek and Talus Ridge. My dog was attacked by two coyotes this morning. He was not hurt as I was able to scare them off but they did manage to pull out a bit of fur.
I have seen coyotes up there many times but this is the first time I have seen them to seemingly aggressively attack. They usually just run off. Scared the crap out of me though. Guess I'll be cutting my walks short for a bit.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

That's pretty scary mrs.b I hope you're carrying bearspray.I've hiked all over that area,cougars and bears are abundant this time of year.
DDsports

Post by DDsports »

This is ridiculous! People there are no problems with the Smith Creek flume trail! It is wide and capable of all activities. If anything the most dangerous thing here is the careless people that speed extremely fast on the trail! (Dirt bikers/Quakers) I have spent many hours on these trails and in my opinion the people that maintain them have the most seniority who are the mountain bikers. Dirt bikers have the biggest attitudes! I have ridden some of the Smith Creek trails where I see mountain bike jumps dipped up side down by dirt bikers!
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

The last windstorm dropped some more trees across the trails. Be aware when you're riding and watch for these as they are not in the best of places.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
dayton

Post by dayton »

How far along, if I can get my jeep by there I will chainsaw then out of the way and bring the wood down to the bottom for any one who would want it for fire wood. Unless everyone's is agenst this.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Their are several down pretty much the full length from Smith Creek to Talus Ridge. I saw that one was cut a couple of days ago but it had been cut prior to the last windstorm. I have seen 4 wheel drive vehicles up there but I have no idea how they get up there. Anyhow, if you have the ways and means I am sure many would be appreciative.

Return to “Central Okanagan”