Mission Hill Development - What's Up?

Zanie57

Re: COUNCIL MEETING SEPT 20 - MISSION HILL TO GET FINAL APPR

Post by Zanie57 »

[quote="GoStumpy"]I see nothing but positives coming from this project.

The only downsides are EXTREMELY short-sighted, and that is construction-related, which we all know is just whining.

Every other 'complaint' can be handled as time progresses, to IMPROVE our area :) (water, roads, etc...)

DOWNSIDE
water shortage - already shortage of water - where do they propose to get MORE
waste disposal - already a limit of residential waste - where do they propose to dump their WASTE
toxins - construction, ongoing operation - air, land, water
congestion - safety of residents - already no sidewalks or bikelanes and dangerous to walk
security - WHO can afford to fly in and fly out without being seen by the public Yeah a heli pad is cool - WHO uses them
community spirit - we have all supported Mission Hill and been very proud to be living under the bell tower and the world reknowned winery - if this goes through - most of the community will not be supportive

There exists a balance between development and nature in all 'progress and development'.

THIS proposal should not be stopped just because the residents do not support it -

IT SHOULD BE STOPPED BECAUSE IT WILL PUT AN ADDITIONAL STRAIN ON AN ALREADY STRAINED ECOSYSTEM

THAT IS WHAT WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT

NOT THE IMMEDIATE AFFECT ON THE CURRENT POPULATION - BUT THE LONG TERM AFFECT ON THE VALLEY'S ABILITY TO PROVIDE CONDITIONS THAT WILL ALLOW FUTURE GENERATIONS TO COME TO THE OK VALLEY AND APPPRECIATE THE NATURAL BEAUTY AND HOW MAN HAS LEARNED TO LIVE PEACEFULLY WITHIN THAT NATURAL BEAUTY.

JUST BECAUSE PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT HAS BEEN THE STATUS QUO FOR SO LONG DOES THAT MEAN IT IS RIGHT

HOW HAS PROGRESS AND DEVELOPMENT BEEN WORKING OUT SO FAR

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN
DOES THAT REALLY MEAN YOU SHOULD

GRAMMA IS STILL CRANKY - WHEN IS ANYBODY GOING TO SEE THE POINT
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Just to let you know ... it's impolite to yell and that is exactly what you're doing by using capital letters.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:Just to let you know ... it's impolite to yell and that is exactly what you're doing by using capital letters.

It is also contrary to forum rules.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

When the residents of Mission Hill purchased their property, this is the risk they took. They KNEW there was acres of undeveloped property on Mission Hill. What did they think was going to happen?

Whenever I've purchased a house, I've always looked around the property too see what could possibly built or changed around me, that may effect my residence.

Kind of like buying a home with a beautiful lakeview, but with an empty lot between you and the lake, and then complaining that a 5 storey mega house was built to block your lakeview.

The people of Mission Hill bought their properties in an unfinished development. That's the risk they took on their own. Not a lot of sympathy here.
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

I think this proposed development is a good thing for West Kelowna. Our commercial tax base is going to increase (instead of going to the Indian Band) which, in turn, will help provide for the much need upgrades to our roads and services. I agree with sassybee....people should look ahead before they commit to buying a property.
Last edited by maxx on Sep 15th, 2011, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

can someone set up a poll of for or against this development?

seems the OP is leading people to believe that the community as a whole doesn't want this project to go ahead
Zanie57

Post by Zanie57 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Just to let you know ... it's impolite to yell and that is exactly what you're doing by using capital letters.

MY apologies for all caps - I didnt' realize it was yelling

In the old days CAPS were used to emphasis a point

sorry
gramma
Zanie57

Post by Zanie57 »

nickd wrote:can someone set up a poll of for or against this development?

seems the OP is leading people to believe that the community as a whole doesn't want this project to go ahead

Excellent idea - i already mentioned it to Kelly of Castanet

Hear the people - ALL of them

gramma
Zanie57

Post by Zanie57 »

nickd wrote:can someone set up a poll of for or against this development?

public polling - what a concept

asked at castanet already

good luck
gramma
Zanie57

Re: Mission Hill Development - What's Up?

Post by Zanie57 »

Answer: Obviously, invironmental concerns are not the real issue here; they are just be dredged up to increase the opposition to this project. I suspect people are smart enough to see through this game.[/quote]

Obviously - NOT really

I am part of the ever falling middle class - we are not the rich and famous - and there is no what is good for the gander is good for the goose in our thoughts

Reality is that development in all it's shapes and forms PUTS a strain on the ecosystems, social systems and lifestyle in general.

Previously - people thought we could build forever - we CAN'T.

Just because there has already been development in the area - does that mean the flood gates are open - everybody do what you want

Somebody has to stand up and speak - not for the rich, not for the famous, not for the powerful

For people like me who have worked all their lives to raise families and now finally we have a chance to relax and enjoy the fruits of our labours. It has taken us decades of hard work to get where we are and WE are not seasonal residents. We are still working class residents.

Why should my voice not be heard - Not for my sake - for the sake of the future

Open your eyes - read what you can about urban sprawl - look up david suzuki, look up anybody you believe in and learn what 'progress and development' has already done to lives and lifestyles of people all over the world

Open your eyes
Open your minds
Open your ears

Don't listen to me - educate yourself

BE REASONALBE - BE SENSIBLE - PLEASE
Zanie57

Post by Zanie57 »

Fancy wrote:
hockeyfan1970 wrote:I'm getting same feeling on this as I get when people purchase near an airport only to turn around and complain. When did Mission Hill start-up, was the residential area same then as it now. More than likely not, so they are expanding should not be surprise to the neighbours.

I remember back when they put in that bell tower, and the noise the neighbourhood made than.
A whole lot of difference between purchasing a home near an airport and a residential property in a residential area. Do the math.

Just because it happened once - does that mean it's okay to happen again

Mission Hill as it is conforms to the region - Mission Hill as it is proposed DOES NOT conform to the community

Much different than moving in next to an airport and then complaining about it
Zanie57

Post by Zanie57 »

Treblehook wrote:Perhaps I could quite rightly be accused of being a s#*t disturber here. For that I apologize, but it just irks me some when people pull out the invironment cards [like threatened water resources] when it suits their agenda to do so. Do these gravely concerned citizens have underground sprinkler systems, lawns, shrubs and the like that use up this valuable resource. Do they fill big swimming pools and hot tubs, or do they all have the Arizona landscaping with rocks, etc that require no watering?

Actually - no - our street has specific schemes that encourage dry landscaping, not sure who has pools - I don't and won't, our yard is an urban garden in the back and so far the front is in it's natural state - we will do dry landscaping. We limit our water consumption inside the home as well.

Most people are well educated and commited to protecting the water supply, not just here but everywhere around the world.

Water is OUR most valuable resource. There is a limited supply. Those are the FACTS not my opinion
Zanie57

Post by Zanie57 »

[quote="GoStumpy"]Everyone in the area got a notice in the mail many months ago about the council meetings, open house at Mission Hill

I have been living in this house for over a year

I have received nothing in the mail from city notifying me of their rezoning plan
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Zanie, coming across as a vigilante NIMBY almost never works. It is clear you live close by, you don't want this thing near you and you are trying desperately to rally support from the wider community by dreaming up reasons why the project is a bad idea.

Your reasons are contrived, trite and not well thought out.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
mycomments

Post by mycomments »

I have been to a few meeting about new developements. Not only this one but also the one for the old site of Lakeview Elementary School. No I don't live in one of the new houses built there either, but when I ask the questions, "Where will they get the water from on a strapped sytem already". Or "how about the sewer taking on more volume". The answer is always the same. They will deal with it when need arises. Where they plan to expand Mission Hill Winery is a residential area. Not a place for a hotel. I am sure the ones who bought there was because it is zoned for that.

Return to “Central Okanagan”