Where can I get brake rotors turned on the Westside?

Shawner
Fledgling

Where can I get brake rotors turned on the Westside?

Post by Shawner »

Never had to have it done, what shops would be open tomorrow (Saturday) where I could get a pair of rotors re-surfaced?

Thanks
xlauvawke
Board Meister

Re: Where can I get brake rotors turned on the Westside?

Post by xlauvawke »

canadian tire maybe?

Edit: What vehicle?
My name is John, my opinion is my own and no other.
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

Dodge Caravan
barnstorm55
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by barnstorm55 »

Turning rotors is generally a thing of the past. The rotors installed on your " Caravan" are barely worth the price of the pads which drag them to a stop. The time to remove them, set them up and turn them is not worth the price. Besides, they would be so thin you wouldn't get 20,000 k before they warped if they aren't already. "Splurge" and spend the $ 60.00 on a new set.
Spelling? Grammar? Dilligaf? Mmmmmmmm...Turkey water.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

I wonder what rotors would cost for a Hnnda?
barnstorm55
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by barnstorm55 »

Cheap like borscht for most models. Problem is; you get the rotors off and find the bearings need repacking or replacing.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

This thread needs to "STOP" I need a "BRAKE" from all the insanity.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Rotors for a Ford Escape (at a service shop) $95 ea. I know they would be a lot cheaper buying yourself but still not what I call cheap.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Last edited by johnhenry on Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

I have to say that the two most important parts of a car........an engine to get it going and BRAKES to stop it!

Rotors and brake jobs are the best investment you can make on your car in my opinion and going to pick a part for used rotors doesn't make much sense to me. Your have to have calipers to determine whether they have perhaps already been turned once.
They may be warped or scored and the odds of getting a good usable set that are better than the ones you are replacing are fairly slim.

What is your life worth or those of your family and friends?

Gear down on hills....those letters and numbers on your automatic shifter aren't just for looks and you can triple the life of your brakes and rotors by not riding your brakes down many of the inclines around the valley.
LT1_9C1

Post by LT1_9C1 »

"Gear down on hills....those letters and numbers on your automatic shifter aren't just for looks and you can triple the life of your brakes and rotors by not riding your brakes down many of the inclines around the valley"

Taking it out of overdrive going up and down hills is fine.
Dropping it into second, be sure to be going under 60 kph and don't exceed it. Watch your RPM.

Using your automatic transmission as a means of braking can be very hard on it and heat it up fast.
Also, it doesn't just put wear and tear on your transmission, its hard on your engines rings and valves do to RPM.

Cost of rebuilding motor $3000 plus.
Cost of rebuilding trans $3000 plus.
Cost of brakes and rotors Under $500.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

I'm not talking about coming off Anarchist mountain in low gear...........
I'm saying that gearing down on places like coming out of upper Mission residential areas, Princeton Ave in Peachland, etc on a daily basis. We are not talking about leaving Elkhart Lodge and using the transmission down to the overpass.

Everything in reasonable fashion. Three different certified mechanics have given me the same information over the years.

Slow down, gear down and you won't have to use your brakes all the way down the hill the way I see some people.

By the way my car has 209,900 KM on it and it is maintained and no transmission or engine problems.
barnstorm55
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by barnstorm55 »

Sound advice regarding using the transmission, auto or manual, to conserve the brakes watchkat. Like you, I have 213,000 kms on my 1500 series truck. The rear drums and pads are original with about 20 % life left and I put in new discs and pads on the front for the first time @ 180,000 kms. That is a combination of city and highway miles. I have no issues slipping it into 2nd at 80 kph going down a hill and into 1st at about 20 Kph if need be. I see a lot of other drivers ride their brakes most of the way down some of our hills.
LT1_9C1

Post by LT1_9C1 »

Right around 200,000km's is when alot of parts start going. If they haven't been replaced. Your mechanic will tell you to gear down because you are paying his wages to fix your fine automobile.

Continue to shift your automatic like a manual. Slowly your rings will deteriorate and you notice your vehcile starts using more and more oil in between changes. Watch your exhaust at 80km and 2200rpm when you gear down it may be hard to see an blue smoke due to the speed your going. The transmission will not slip when slowly wearing out. Slipping is internal failure of a mechanical part. In your cases you will notice going down hill you vehicle picks up as much speed as if it was in neutral which is loss of transmission compression. A good test is to take a drive out to Beaver Lake Road. Sit at the light midway up the hill. See if your transmission holds you there without having to put on the brake or give the vehicle throttle.

Its funny watching people hammer there brakes coming down the hill past Glenrosa. I usually pump my brakes up to 5 times letting air pass through the calipers to cool my rotors and pads. Watch your RPM, check your manual, and don't use your 4 speed auto like it's a 87,000 pound semi with a jake-break.
laurensawyer
Board Meister

Post by laurensawyer »

to answer the original question, a good place on the westside to get your rotors machined is either harolds or howards garage i believe. Right across from the botttle depot behind crystal glass

Return to “Central Okanagan”