Messy long weekend campers at Spring Lake

rugbyguy13

Re: Messy Long weekend campers at Spring Lake

Post by rugbyguy13 »

I have partied in the bush for about 8 years. Yes we made a huge mess every time, drunk people do that. But we always cleaned up before we left. Three years ago we went up the weekend before may long to check out our favorite site and found it covered with tree clearing debris and bottles of bar oil and garbage from the workers covering the forestry camp sites. Me a 4 other went up 3 days before the long weekend to clean up the mess. Also 2 random people joined us to help with the clean up. Not only was there a high fire potential with all the debris we also had collected 6 large garbage bags of waste. So don't automatically assume young kids partying means a mess will be left behind.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The easy solution is to A) clean as you go so there is no mess to speak of when you leave or B) don't go to places like this that are otherwise pristine and f..k it up.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I'll call you out on that Rugbyguy. Those trees were fell to reduse the deadfall/bugkill on your/our campsite. The chipping crew came later. You may have caught the days in between.The trees in and around the campsites fell are for everyones safety .
nicsgrayy

Post by nicsgrayy »

What you people do not seem to understand is that noone went and cleaned up after us.. we did ourselves.. but good one.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ba++le wrote:What you people do not seem to understand is that noone went and cleaned up after us.. we did ourselves.. but good one.

Hmmm, then where did the video of the guy that cleaned up what you apparently missed come from?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Bretbaby wrote:I am often in the backwoods quadding, camping, etc. and that's terrible, people are PIGS. I hate seeing that sort of thing since it's so beautiful back there.

He should've video'ed the faces and vehicles/licence plates a bit better....... :dyinglaughing:

He did it's on youtube
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

I would just like to let you know, that the mess got cleaned up BY PEOPLE WHO WERE CAMPING THERE ON THE WEEKEND, I was one of the many campers theres, and there was numerous vehicles leaving with garbage bags packed into the back of their vehicles, it's a bit hard for the 10-20 people to clean up, after probaly 80+ kids who don't care. The people in this video are cleaning? can't you people see that, its a bit unfair to point fingers at just a small group of people left camping... when they were staying longer just to clean up after people.. Followed by Tuesday when 3-5 people went up and cleaned. You people call us irresponsible and disgusting? yet the entire time we planned on cleaning it.. Who wants to clean after a 4 day bender... Get real. Majority of the people cleaned up after them selves to be totally honest. It was the kids which WAS A HUGE amount that came up there just to cause problems and make a mess.. Maybe before you start pointing fingers figure out who cleaned and who made the mess. The longer video with the older kids... They Cleaned it was all the younger trouble maker, west side kids that were uncapable of cleaning up after themselves. Wednesday there was over 20 of us that were going to go up and clean, BECAUSE WE HAD IT PLANNED ALL ALONG, our behaviour? Yet again like i've said, before you start pointing fingers and saying our behavior is disgusting, open up your eyes, mayvbe even your mouth and ask if its going to get cleaned.. the guy asked and it happened. we arent small minded, we are capable of cleaning up after our selves. PS. Don't tell me youve never partied in the bush at a younger age and not cleaned up, you're the small minded one acting like you're so high n mighty.. :discodance:

Throwing everything in a pile and burning it and then leaving the fire unattended is not cleaning up IMO!
Responsible campers leave the spot the way they found it, you clean up before you leave!
Majority of you cleaned up??? Really??? Then why was it such a mess when everyone left?
Sorry but when I was younger I didn't bring couches, recliners or spray paint with me when I camped and we took all our crap with us when we were done! Same as I do today! You guys are a bunch of pigs and should be ashamed!
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Ba++le wrote:What you people do not seem to understand is that noone went and cleaned up after us.. we did ourselves.. but good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msBK7YaU ... r_embedded

Then why is James taking a load of your crap to the dump?
Slick Lizzy1
Fledgling

Post by Slick Lizzy1 »

I'm sure if the crappy campers hadn't been caught there was no way in h%ll they would have returned four days later to clean up. Who camps like that?
To bad the conservation officer hadn't drove through the mess during the weekend, they could have had a hay day.
Why should people have to clean up after irresponsible campers at their own expense?
Hauling their crap to Glenmore and paying the tipping fees is just not right even if some people care for our backyards and want to keep them clean for the next visit.
rugbyguy13

Post by rugbyguy13 »

logman wrote:I'll call you out on that Rugbyguy. Those trees were fell to reduse the deadfall/bugkill on your/our campsite. The chipping crew came later. You may have caught the days in between.The trees in and around the campsites fell are for everyones safety .

Wow I haven't been "called out" since the 90s, anyways there was very little bug kill when I was there in the winter to go ice fishing. The 150 or so trees were removed and all the limbs we left behind. Once we were finished gathering all the DEBRIS it was a pile 8 feet high and about 20 feet around. And they were not there recently because there is a 20 to 30 foot mud hole right off the main FSR that keeps the trouble makers out till June when it dries up. Guess what, it was not disturbed. What makes me a little bit upset is you seemed concerned about the trees and not the fact that garbage from lunches, smoke packs and chew tins. I'm pretty sure they had a BBQ because there was multiple burger boxes, bun bags and empty condiment containers. But 2 good things came out of the situation, I met some new friends and they left enough half empty bottles of bar oil to run my saw for a season of cutting for my wood stove that heats my house.
bhamilto

Post by bhamilto »

The BC Conservation Officer Service is very interested in speaking to anyone who may have witnessed this environmental vandalism or has any information as the the identification of the culprits responsible.
If you are one of the people involved in this incident, we would like to hear from you and specifically hear of your plans to clean up what remains of this mess and return it to the pristine condition that it should have been left in. It is time to "step up to the plate"!
Please contact: CO Mike Stern @ 250-490-8204 or CO Bob Hamilton @ 250-490-8211 of the South Okanagan Zone.
Ruby209

Post by Ruby209 »

The mess is 100% cleaned up, but you dont see anyone taking videos of THAT, do you? One minute this is a top story on CHBC, but now that its cleaned up, its no news at all. Maybe there should be a follow up to show that it was indeed cleaned up, by some of the campers who camped there, including myself.

And to refer to something above saying why was James taking garbage down if the mess was cleaned up....He was told the mess was 80% cleaned up and that the rest would be done the next day, and it was HIS choice to go up there and take a truck load of garbage down. If he left it, it would have been cleaned the next day, just like he was told, and just like the rest of the stuff that he did not take down.

All that matters is that Spring lake is 100% clean now. Its sad and stupid that it was left in such a state by so many people, but at least it was cleaned up. Mostly by people who camped there and DIDNT leave their mess, but we took responsibility to clean up everyone elses.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Ruby209 wrote:The mess is 100% cleaned up, but you dont see anyone taking videos of THAT,

Then grow a pair, man up, and call the Conservation Officer as mentioned in the post before yours. After all, if it's cleaned up then surely you'll want to verify that with them.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Ruby209 wrote:The mess is 100% cleaned up, but you dont see anyone taking videos of THAT, do you? One minute this is a top story on CHBC, but now that its cleaned up, its no news at all. Maybe there should be a follow up to show that it was indeed cleaned up, by some of the campers who camped there, including myself.

And to refer to something above saying why was James taking garbage down if the mess was cleaned up....He was told the mess was 80% cleaned up and that the rest would be done the next day, and it was HIS choice to go up there and take a truck load of garbage down. If he left it, it would have been cleaned the next day, just like he was told, and just like the rest of the stuff that he did not take down.

All that matters is that Spring lake is 100% clean now. Its sad and stupid that it was left in such a state by so many people, but at least it was cleaned up. Mostly by people who camped there and DIDNT leave their mess, but we took responsibility to clean up everyone elses.

I'm glad that you clean the area up! Why did it take you days to do so? Would you have gone back if this wasn't top new?
sidewalker
Fledgling

Post by sidewalker »

Well I didn't watch the video and I didn't even reaqd this thread all that carefully, but I've been to countless broken bottle recreation areas over time, with babies, puppies, etc, and I've always wanted to just give teenagers a broom and a shovel for xmas.

So but if this relates to partyers actually going back and cleaning up, man, my hat is off to all of you and you have my respect and trust. Try not to damage too much stuff as you move forward in life!!

Can't change what folks think of you, only what they ought to.

Return to “Central Okanagan”