Is West Kelowna ugly?

eMeM
Übergod

Re: Is West Kelowna ugly?

Post by eMeM »

My comprehension is just fine, thanks. I caught the part about "driving through" but you didn't elaborate so one could only guess at what you meant. That's why I asked for clarification. *removed*
Last edited by Jo on Mar 29th, 2014, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I know it's been beat to death, but....

The last 2-3 kms down to the bridge could be one of the most breathtaking vistas in the Country, beautiful grassy fields dropping to the lake and Kelowna nestled in on the other side of the beach, even the new bridge is visually attractive to some degree. The flip-book billboards are one of the worst eyesores ever perpetrated to an otherwise incredible "reveal" as it's the first good look at the lake you get after coming through WK.

Every time I drive by there I make a point to not read the billboards and even imagine a nice rampage with a chainsaw and carefully placed shaped charges leveling the whole lot of them in one fell-swoop, freeing that incredible vista up for everyone who uses that bridge into Kelowna.

The rest of WK... Well it's a highway through several communities that have grown together via urban and retail sprawl. There has been no cohesive thought process to it's planning and it is certainly one of the uglier stretches of Highway 97 through the Okanagan. There are certainly some beautiful areas in WK, most take advantage of the view, but you don't see any of it from the hwy. Basically it looks like a long strip mall between Peachland and Kelowna, and reminds me a lot of some areas of Surrey (sorry WK, it had to be said)

I think much of the problem is most of it grew up as a bedroom community for Kelowna, so it gets treated like a red-headed stepchild. Had WK acted like, and been raised as it's own town instead of a place for Kelowna-employed people to sleep, it probably would have come out looking much different and better. Not joining the Municipality/City of Kelowna was a good step towards this, naming it West-Kelowna just confirmed that's it's basically a suburb of the big-show across the bridge.

I think WK is unique in the Okanagan, no other town seems as tied to another as WK is to Kelowna.
On a different forum
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Short answer, yes.
KTMC

Post by KTMC »

Yes I agree West Kelowna leaves much to be desired. Where are the TREES!?? I live in Glenrosa and thank god we have trees. In the newer developments there is nothing but houses literally on top of houses. And when I go visit friends in Shannon Lake I feel like "Why can't Glenrosa be this nice?" I feel that Glenrosa has been severely neglected by the municipality and there is only so much that the average blue collar family can do here. I hate having the 6 foot weeds in the ditch where in the other communities the landscaping is being taken care of. I'm sure we all pay the same amount of taxes. Mind you, the community of Glenrosa is beautiful and I have a magnificent view of Okanagan lake, Mission Hill Winery and parts of Kelowna from my house.

I think Westbank looks like a long stripmall and yes, comparable to Surrey. I don't understand why new commercial office spaces are being built when we can't fill the old ones or the newer ones have never been filled! I think the WFN and the council need to get together and plan how they want Westbank to look like instead of being like, "Oh here looks like a good place to build an empty building!" And talk about neglect of the communities, what the F is with the money going into Boucherie when the council can't even come out to our areas and build sidewalks (a line on the road isn't a sidewalk) and more streetlights. I have 2 streetlights on my road (Webber) I think if the municipality was serious in getting people to stop watering their grass and stuff, I think they should grant incentives to home owners who change their yards into water free or what is the technical term... Arid landscaping instead of 9/10 people having a dead lawn for most of the summer. I think that would be a huge step into creating a nicer looking community.

Don't even get me started on the billboards. They cover one of the best drives on the whole hiway!... Okay enough said....
Dear Life, I have a complete grasp on the fact that you are not fair... So please, quit teaching me that lesson!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

KTMC wrote:Don't even get me started on the billboards. They cover one of the best drives on the whole hiway!... Okay enough said....

That I agree! And there's like 200 of them, even an electronic one now, and in a curve. Worse place ever to advertise!

Remember how the same government (MOTI) is going after the farmers in Oliver who have one, yes ONE!!!! single sign in a field on a quiet stretch of road because it "disrupts" the landscape?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I don't feel the billboards make driving unsafe because drivers should know HOW TO DRIVE and not let a inanimate object cause them to crash themselves into something. What are we fireflies that can't stop looking at the light? Now as far as them ruining what could be a jewel of a view, they certainly do that.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Hmmm wrote:I don't feel the billboards make driving unsafe because drivers should know HOW TO DRIVE and not let a inanimate object cause them to crash themselves into something. What are we fireflies that can't stop looking at the light? Now as far as them ruining what could be a jewel of a view, they certainly do that.

Do you have time to read them all as you drive?

One alright, but 50 of them is like throwing a bucket of mud at us and they ALL lose their effectiveness.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

matai wrote:
Do you have time to read them all as you drive?

One alright, but 50 of them is like throwing a bucket of mud at us and they ALL lose their effectiveness.

I grew up in a city of millions and millions of people and distractions everywhere you look. I learned to focus on the road. I understand that some are attracted to the beautiful blue light, but I say, don't go near the light!
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Rose Thompson

Post by Rose Thompson »

Just a quick answer: yes.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Yes, but the people of WK allow it to be.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Sure would be nice to see a street sweeper. Dusty, dirty and not very attractive streets. Guess I should have bought in the snooty part of town.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the billboards are a good thing if not for them the half *bleep* meatheads that can barely grasp the concept of driving would be staring at the view instead of driving some people don't need more distractions
Sammygirl1

Post by Sammygirl1 »

canvan wrote:Probably the ugliest place in BC. Can't believe i got sucked in to moving to this over priced hole. Please nobody get offended it's just my opinion.

It is WHAT YOU MAKE IT!! I bet you think the 'people' are unfriendly too.....If you don't like it, move back to where you came from. We don't need people like YOU around here. It is the best place to live in the world....and yeah, it may cost more, but it is worth every penny. AND if it is so BAD....what are YOU doing to make it better? It is all about CHOICES.

Return to “Central Okanagan”