Is West Kelowna ugly?

John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Is West Kelowna ugly?

Post by John500 »

Yes its ugly. especially the "down town" area with a highway going thru the middle of it. Bypass downtown and make it a peoples place.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

DashFiveGuy wrote:
The question asked by the OP is whether West Kelowna is ugly or not, not does it have great neighbourhoods with down to earth people. I haven't driven on every street in Glenrosa so sure there could be nicer areas I haven't seen yet but to say the majority of it is nicer homes is a bit of a stretch to say the least.

"Nice" is completely subjective. I didn't say expensive or high-end. I said "majority nicer homes". In my opinion Glenrosa is very much that.

In context to the OP, West Kelowna, like all things, is made up of its parts. You cannot fairly comment on one without addressing the other.

Is West Kelowna Ugly? As a whole, no! West Kelowna is a gem. There are areas that some might feel are less attractive and therefore you may say ugly. Ugly to some is beautiful to others though.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

.[/quote]

The question asked by the OP is whether West Kelowna is ugly or not, not does it have great neighbourhoods with down to earth people. I haven't driven on every street in Glenrosa so sure there could be nicer areas I haven't seen yet but to say the majority of it is nicer homes is a bit of a stretch to say the least.[/quote]

Are you for real man??????
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

"I see some light...I'm on some kind of a highway...I'm breaking through... SIGNS! IT'S A FIELD OF SIGNS! THEY MUST BE GOING DIRECTLY TOWARDS THE LAKE!"

And that would be West Kelowna! :dyinglaughing:
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Ugly is relative. Spend a week exploring a place like Beaumont TX.

The vote on amalgamation didn't go my way but I still tend to think of both sides of the lake as just one large metropolitan area with some very unique neighborhoods. None are ugly. Most are quite beautiful.

The West Kelowna downtown (Westbank) seems to have suffered the most from hollowing out as businesses are attracted by the "pave paradise and put up a parking lot" opportunities offered by the local F.N. But, handled properly, Westbank could probably be turned into a lovely residential area.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
cpl

Post by cpl »

ya...its ugly
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Both West KLo and KLO are overall ugly, but it has it's nice parts. Vancouver. That is a beautiful city.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Its not just West Kelowna thats ugly. I would say that the entire core of the Okanagan Valley from Osoyoos to Vernon is ugly. Once you get past Vernon, it gets a lot nicer. First of all, I never really liked the arid landscape, but the main reason I think the area is ugly is because its being neglected. The most ugly thing is the new developments. They are just so barren and I don't know how the people living in them don't die of heat stroke. The developers seem to think that its a good idea to cut down every last tree in the area of new developments and just let weeds and Siberian Elms grow all around the houses. Black Mountain in Kelowna is a perfect example of this. I think the Okanagan has the potential to be a beautiful place if only more people cared about how the valley looks.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

If Penticton cleans itself up, it could easily be the nicest lookin town in the valley.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Took a drive tonight and I feel like its gotten worse.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I like the view from West Kelowna better than from the Kelowna side.

You can either live on the pretty side, or look at it.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

The view from Quails Gate is one of the best in the whole area including the Kelowna side. Unfortunately driving through west kelowna really shows off the ugly. Not to much redeemable about it. Almost disgusting.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

Hmmm wrote:The view from Quails Gate is one of the best in the whole area including the Kelowna side. Unfortunately driving through west kelowna really shows off the ugly. Not to much redeemable about it. Almost disgusting.

What is it that's (in your opinion) ugly? All of West Kelowna with your above exception or just bits and pieces?
Granted, there is a lot of sprawl and (IMO) a lack of cohesion between WFN and DWK but I think in time and with cooperation it could work out well for all interested.
I've heard of some innovative and fresh ideas re: land use and landscaping that have me excited and hopeful for the future of DWK and WFN. I hope we have forward thinking people on both councils that are willing to try something new to benefit our communities.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

eMeM wrote:
What is it that's (in your opinion) ugly? All of West Kelowna with your above exception or just bits and pieces?
Granted, there is a lot of sprawl and (IMO) a lack of cohesion between WFN and DWK but I think in time and with cooperation it could work out well for all interested.
I've heard of some innovative and fresh ideas re: land use and landscaping that have me excited and hopeful for the future of DWK and WFN. I hope we have forward thinking people on both councils that are willing to try something new to benefit our communities.
Did you read where I said "driving through"? So the ugly part would be what you're driving through and seeing. It is ugly. I know there are many areas of West Kelowna that are beautiful. The hwy through it unfortunately really shows off the ugly. To bad really.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

A huge improvement would be to flatten the TSA gas bar and strip mall. At least cover the lime green sign and graffiti again. I know some developer owns it and it's for sale but come on. It's ugly!!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”