Construction noise versus orchard cannons

1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: Construction noise versus orchard cannons

Post by 1nick »

1 device for every 2 hectares.My figures are for the device adjacent to my home.
They have 2, thee other is at thee opposite end of the vineyard and considerably less obtrusive(for me anyway)
showtime76

Post by showtime76 »

We net our vineyards but its labour intensive ( like everything in farming hence why we buy so much produce from places that have cheap labour ) and the netting needs to be replaced every 8-10 years which is a big cost. We would use propane cannon's but as many people say it can be annoying. Oh and I understand why people use them btw and still would never rule them out of use in our future.
fluid power

Post by fluid power »

No cannon blasting was heard for years. But now the cannons are very much heard way over here on my end. It never would have crossed my mind when I moved here. My husband has lived in this house for 29 years and says he didn't notice them until the last couple of years, too

Yes, I agree. I had never heard cannons until several years ago. I believe this may be a new-ish tactic for these vineyards.

I think if Farmers want to implement new tactics that are extremely disruptive into an area , it should have to pass some sort of review including public input.

Side note, Does anybody know how long agriculture has been using cannons for?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

For those who have issues with these orchard cannons, should maybe come up with a solution that works for both fruit growers and themselves.
As cost effective (these cannons) as well as removing birds that eats away from fruit growers product.

Come up with that you may hear silence over the orchards & vineyards.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”