Double Fatal

Triple 6

Re: Double Fatal

Post by Triple 6 »

What does being a small town have to do with pics on fb? I'm shocked at the amount of alcohol and smoking from bongs photos.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Triple 6 wrote:What does being a small town have to do with pics on fb? I'm shocked at the amount of alcohol and smoking from bongs photos.

Oh crap, I took your post 180 deg the other way. Shame on me.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

I understood it. And I'm still not shocked. Is it not blatantly obvious to us now that the teen culture involves using drugs and alcohol for most of our youth? And that we give them the license to drive right around the time they are beginning to use these drugs? And of course, this is also when they are getting more freedom as they grow up.

This has been in the forefront of my mind, as it has also greatly affected my family.
And it brings back the worst memories for me, from over four decades ago. A fatality in the family, just 17 years of age.
Now THAT was shocking.
Things have changed since back then, but not so much drug and alcohol use among youth, but in flaunting their right of passage into adulthood all over the internet with photos and videos and you-tube postings...parents buying their booze for the grad bush party, or allowing them to party 'safe' in their basements, helping them to plan the party, invite friends, and basically conspire with their children to commit a criminal offense.

Way back, we used to hide these things from our families, lest we get in trouble, or embarrass them, or shame the family name.
Kids don't think about that these days, and most of them don't have their lines drawn, and even if they do, they will cross them if they are not strong enough to stand their own ground and stick with their own value system. And what do we think the likelihood of this is, when the peer pressure is combined with an immature brain and alcohol or drugs?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:That sounds like the telephone game.
But yes, alcohol is not meant for youth.
It can be a very nasty drug.
I wish more kids would learn this before they use it.

Whether or not alcohol was involved, this is a very very sad circumstance for a lot of people.
Let's keep it polite.

Alcohol is not meant for youth and neither is any kind of mind altering drug like pot!!! Nonetheless, there is such a huge ground swell of people who think it a great idea to legalize another substance as "harmless". Scary isn't it?
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Triple 6 wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:I had opportunity to view one of the victim's Facebook pages. I'm saddened to see the flaunting of much alcohol and immaturity.

^This^. Shocked as well.

I was VERY temtped to mention the same thing myself but decided not to lest I start the inevitable flame war. Sadly "flaunting of so much alcohol" is a pretty accurate description for what was is posted on her FB page.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I am saddened by the loss of so many young lives lately, no matter the reason. There was suicide, alcohol and hopped up vehicles in my day (I'm 50) yet nowhere near as many fatalities.

It makes me wonder what has changed?

:(
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:Things have changed since back then, but not so much drug and alcohol use among youth, but in flaunting their right of passage into adulthood all over the internet with photos and videos and you-tube postings.. parents buying their booze for the grad bush party, or allowing them to party 'safe' in their basements, helping them to plan the party, invite friends, and basically conspire with their children to commit a criminal offense.

Parents "helping" to kill more kids ... yuppers ... "They're gonna drink and do drugs anyway, so ..."

Most kids are going to find booze and party whether its legal for them to do so or not. I would much rather have that teenage drinking occur under my watch (or that of another parent) to ensure no violence, rapes, choking on vomit, drunk driving etc happen. A safe place with adult supervision.

For the most part, my parents knew where I was. They were the ones that dropped me off and/or picked me up from these parties because they didn't want me drinking and driving or accepting a ride with a drunk driver.

I would rather my child was honest about where and what they were doing so that I can do whatever I can to make it a safer experience for them. My daughter attended. I provided the ride there and home. I provided water, pop, and food to lessen the chance of overindulgence and spoke with her regularily thru the evening to check on her.

Did anyone else have "sanctioned" wet grads? We did. A location was selected in the bush (actualy not far from the usual party place) parent volunteers served food, several uniformed RCMP with cars who let us in and prevented us from leaving until morning sober, and two paramedics complete with bus. Nobody got hurt, nobody got sued, we all had a great time. Bonfire, copiuos amounts of booze.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

blizzard wrote: I don't know any facts about alcohol involvement, but I do know that the driver swerved for a cow, over-corrected, and lost it. Excessively speeding.

Interesting that you know there was a cow , and yet don't know about booze. Call me a cynic , but I think the cow story is actually a bull story.
keeny
Fledgling

Post by keeny »

Treblehook wrote:
Alcohol is not meant for youth and neither is any kind of mind altering drug like pot!!! Nonetheless, there is such a huge ground swell of people who think it a great idea to legalize another substance as "harmless". Scary isn't it?

Last time you heard about a car rollover where the only intoxicant involved was marijuana? Last death from just smoking marijuana? The only thing that's scary is that politicians allow the black market to continue to thrive.

But that's neither here, nor there.

While it saddens me that we lost 2 young lives, not wearing seat-belts, and the strong possibility of drinking and driving, combined with poor conditions, typically only has 1 outcome.. What possessed these kids to be so reckless is beyond me (save the typical young adult feeling of invincibility). Hopefully the 2 survivors make a full recovery, and are able to spread the tale of their experience to influence other young people to think critically.

Condolences to the families.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I am still saddend by this...best wishes for all involved.
TyrianQuill
Board Meister

Post by TyrianQuill »

My heart goes out to all touched by this.

Many times it is difficult for grown-ups to watch as youth come into contact with one of hard facts of life which is the choice each of us has to be the learner or the lesson; actions do have consequences.

Respect of: tools (be it a fork, a talent, a vehicle or fire etc…), life (self’s others and all) and consequences is many times a tough and painful lesson to learn.

Hopefully more will learn than be the lesson.

And I will add in here that, if you care, in humble my opinion, it is parents and community’s responsibility to interpret and convey this hard reality… before it is too late for the youth to realize it.

Becoming a responsible respectful productive human animal is not an easy journey.

As far a laying blame goes I will say, I and we each, still have much to learn and the only place a person is perfect is in their own feeble mind. The only time one should judge is when looking into a mirror.

This tragedy is just that… a tragedy, now what can we each learn from it?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place (George Bernard Shaw)
blizzard

Post by blizzard »

delete
Last edited by blizzard on Oct 21st, 2012, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Hate to say it , but Teens don't learn from these things. My son lost a friend in a drunken crash. Guess what him and all of his friends did the very next weekend ? If you answered " they went out and celebrated his life without drinking " you would be wrong.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

TyrianQuill wrote: 
My heart goes out to all touched by this.

Many times it is difficult for grown-ups to watch as youth come into contact with one of hard facts of life which is the choice each of us has to be the learner or the lesson; actions do have consequences.

Respect of: tools (be it a fork, a talent, a vehicle or fire etc…), life (self’s others and all) and consequences is many times a tough and painful lesson to learn.

Hopefully more will learn than be the lesson.

And I will add in here that, if you care, in humble my opinion, it is parents and community’s responsibility to interpret and convey this hard reality… before it is too late for the youth to realize it.

Becoming a responsible respectful productive human animal is not an easy journey.

As far a laying blame goes I will say, I and we each, still have much to learn and the only place a person is perfect is in their own feeble mind. The only time one should judge is when looking into a mirror.

This tragedy is just that… a tragedy, now what can we each learn from it?

Awesome post...thank you.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Perhaps we need to extend the graduated licencing program , AND start enforcing the Zero Alcohol stipulation. I used to live across the street from some "cool" parents who let their kids throw parties all the time. The police attended many , and things got out of control a few times. I remember watching the kids hurling bottles at the cops , surrounding the cops who were making an arrest , and then threatening to sue when they got pepper sprayed.
What always amazed me (in a bad way) , was as the cops were breaking up the party , lots of kids (who had been drinking) were getting in their cars (with N's) and driving away. The cops had the road blocked so no more could get in , but were letting everyone out. Personally , I think every one of them that drove away should have been checked and ticketed if they had been drinking , and arrested and charged if they were over .08
There is not much of a deterrent when the chances of getting caught are so low. I think that a 1 year licence suspension , and impound / forfeiture of the vehicle might make teens think twice about risking their life , the lives of their friends , and the lives of Every Single Other Person out on the road .
I don't really care if my statements offend anyone , including the families. I doubt the families are reading castanet right now. Anyone else who's position is that heavy handed enforcement is wrong , must have something to fear.
My 22 year old son has lost his licence twice now (for various reasons) , and I feel much safer out on the road knowing he is not.

Return to “Central Okanagan”