Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by Ranger66 »

It’s about what is good for the student today not what you did in your past. I have seen school trips to 7-11’s where they all got free milk (chocolate if they preferred).
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bubalouie wrote:Who cares if they walked, ran, jogged or were taken in a school bus..........I am betting that a good majority of them never ever get to a game.........again good on the Warriors and the school district.........
If you're so concerned that it's hockey, maybe you should approach the Sun or whomever else and get something arranged.........

Catz wrote:I think that is a great idea. The more these kids can watch sports, the more they want to play, the healthier they will become.

I think it would be a whole lot healthier if their parents played with them instead of foisting them off on the school system for their physical fun and education.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Ummm...I play and entertain and educate my kids all the time.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fercryinginthesink

I did NOT mean you. I said "parents". When I mean you, you will know without a doubt.

Too many parents do not spend quality time with their kids doing things with them - like tossing a ball around in the backyard or a park. Everyone is too much into themselves to bother with raising their kids and they think society's job is to provide "fun" for their kids. I maintain it is not society's job to raise people's offspring. If they are going to pop out children, they should be prepared to raise those kids - in every sense of the word.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I really don't see what has changed in years and years. Kids are taken on field trips and some enjoy the benefits of trying/seeing something not available to them. Physical edcuation/gym has always been part of the school system for as long as I can remember so why is it a big deal now?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fancy wrote:I really don't see what has changed in years and years. Kids are taken on field trips and some enjoy the benefits of trying/seeing something not available to them. Physical edcuation/gym has always been part of the school system for as long as I can remember so why is it a big deal now?

To my way of thinking, there's a difference between going to watch a game and partaking in physical education in school. If they were going to the arena to play a game, that's different. If they were going to the pool to go swimming or learn some life-saving skill, that's different. If they went to the museum, that's a learning experience just like going to an art gallery is when it is coupled with a lesson in history or art and might also include some hands-on stuff. But just to watch a game? If a child is obese, watching a game isn't going to make him/her less obese. Add to that some junk food from the concession and it actually adds to the obesity. Strap on some skates and play some hockey - now that would be better! Flood a rink in the back yard and play some hockey with the neighbourhood kids and now you've got adults AND kids getting more fit and sitting around less - and having fun doing it, too.

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

parenting, hockey, playing with your kids instead of the school...now this...like I said child hood obesity is huge...

Maybe I should ask...should my tax money be getting kids interested and engaged in sports to promote healthy living, and PREVENT life long issues?
Ontario has wanted to put labels on food because of the amount of money it is costing the health care system. Then they implement something like this to get awareness and you think it is a joke?

Pick a defence and stick to it instead of thinking of yourself.........what is in the best interest of the kids!!!

At the end of the day, we need to get kids interested and into active activities for the future, whether it be swimming, soccer, hockey or running or gymnastics...let them explore and learn and grow.
Last edited by Catz on Oct 24th, 2012, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I'll give those of you who see a hockey game as a waste of educational time a legitimate reason to get on a rant...the number PG and PG 14 videos teachers show to kids without parental consent. This one gets my goat big time. This is a tool that is used especially often during report card writing times and just before holiday breaks. Now this to me is much more deserving of wrath than kids walking to a hockey rink to see what a real game looks like, sounds like, feels like...
Last edited by coffeeFreak on Oct 24th, 2012, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

my son got to watch last yr during school hrs...and BOOM !! he started playing street hockey with his friends...now a bunch of kids come play in front of our house almost everyday after school...it's very nice to have and hear these young tweens outside playing in the fresh air ....this is Canada and Hockey is in our bloodline :) and addressing the comments I have read, it is NOT my full time job to play with my kid....they NEED to learn social skills..it's a very healthy thing :)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nobody said anything about it being a "full time job" playing with your kids.

There's parents who make it a "no-time job" to do anything with or for their kids. And there's others who plan their kids' days so full of outside activities and classes and sports and spend their time running them all from hither to yon and spend no time with their kids as a family - just a taxi service that eats on the run from a drive-through window and on to the next kid's drop-off place.

Has the age-old concept of "family" and "family values" gone the way of the dodo bird? If so, that's sad. When do kids do homework now and who is at home to help them with it and monitor that it gets done - and done well?

Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

westside105 wrote:my son got to watch last yr during school hrs...and BOOM !! he started playing street hockey with his friends...now a bunch of kids come play in front of our house almost everyday after school...it's very nice to have and hear these young tweens outside playing in the fresh air ....this is Canada and Hockey is in our bloodline :) and addressing the comments I have read, it is NOT my full time job to play with my kid....they NEED to learn social skills..it's a very healthy thing :)

In all my time in Kelowna I have driven by maybe two street hockey nets on the road,,, we had em out all the time. They barely got put away properly because someone thought the game would be starting up again after supper and it usually did with at least a few kids. I see basket ball nets in some yards but not all that many either, if kids were playing street hockey instead of texting all the time they would get back to the outdoor spirit we had before electronics took over. Its good the school is introducing sports and I hope lots of kids ask for a net and a stick for Christmas.
We had floor hockey teems and bowling when we were kids, when that wasnt happening the street was the play ground. Also it slows the cars down, haha.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

*try reposting on topic and without the personal attacks/if you see an off topic post REPORT IT/Jo*
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yeah Roadster the kids just LOVE it !! the "net" is always ready for some action :) and I am an *older* stay at home mom...drive a crappy old car, don't own a cell phone (the money can be spent on other things IMO) live in a small home, all for our kid...the kids play hockey (they also trade hockey cards) after school and homework is done after dinner cause he aint allow out after dark...he's doing awesome in school and doesn't have FB, a cell phone and very limited time on the family computer...this whole Hockey thing was a godsent to my son :) it's the total dinner table talk every single night..

but I respect your opinion Grammafreddy, but please give some parents a wee bit of credit...some of us are "old school" too..
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Sports, or any extra-curricular activity, can be extremely beneficial to a child for many reasons. There are only so many required mandatory graduation course credits (48), the rest are electives (28). So what difference does it make to anyone what a child decides to do? Some, who like music and perhaps want to be a music teacher or a symphony conductor, will take band related courses. They will miss school to play at the seniors center, travel to festivals, and before they go the WHOLE school will file in to the gym to hear them play (during school time). Even the brains and the jocks must attend. How is a hockey game any different? It must be eye opening for some of these kids who have never seen a hockey game, certainly watching a game is not any less "active" then sitting in a class all day. It also shows them that if they dream and excel at something, there are rewards.
Scholarships and awards are available not only to children who excel in academics but also to those who choose sports, fine arts, and applied skills. As for credits, what is the difference what a child chooses as an elective? Sports, yes you can get credits for not only playing but coaching and officiating as well. http://www.bcschoolsports.ca/pages/publ ... iption.pdf
There are several programs that support children who dream big and aspire, not just financially but in ways that, sadly, I feel some of the posters on here have no clue about.
Kids who belong to an academy are generally expected to maintain a certain grade point average as are those granted permission to miss school for school sanctioned or extra-curricular events. A lot of kids do homework in a car, on a bus, in hotel rooms. These things teach them responsibility, no work, no play.
Lots of parents "work" for these advantages as well. They go to watch, some travel with them (as chaperones or supporters), pack groceries to save costs of eating in restaurants, do fundraisers (baking etc).
It is my opinion that the more we expose our children to, the bigger their decision pool becomes for them, and they can make more satisfying life choices by having their eyes open to the world around us.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Catz wrote:parenting, hockey, playing with your kids instead of the school...now this...like I said child hood obesity is huge...

Maybe I should ask...should my tax money be getting kids interested and engaged in sports to promote healthy living, and PREVENT life long issues?
Ontario has wanted to put labels on food because of the amount of money it is costing the health care system. Then they implement something like this to get awareness and you think it is a joke?

Pick a defence and stick to it instead of thinking of yourself.........what is in the best interest of the kids!!!

At the end of the day, we need to get kids interested and into active activities for the future, whether it be swimming, soccer, hockey or running or gymnastics...let them explore and learn and grow.

I never said this was a joke. I don't fool around and joke about educating children. Nor do I joke about the garbage food people eat and feed their kids these days. Childhood obesity is huge because their parents are hugely stupid and selfish. Childhood obesity borders on child abuse.

What is in the best interest of the kids?

Parents who parent. Parents who actively participate in life with their children instead of fobbing them off on the school system or society to raise. Parents who make time to cook nutritious meals not feed them drive-through garbage and pre-packaged prepared microwave crap. Parents who teach their children compassion for others and good manners. Parents who are not afraid to say "no" to their kids.

They don't need society or the school to raise them. Kids need their parents to be there for them.

Return to “Central Okanagan”