Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

WhatThe

Re: Did students get out school to attend a Warriors game?

Post by WhatThe »

Wait a second here joe, - Who are you to say what is right or wrong for my child?
When I was that age my mother took me to see the queen of England in new Westminster, my brother was military honor guard, and i missed an entire day of school. Was that wrong? Are you saying that if a parent agrees to let a kid go to a hockey game so It enriches their lives it's wrong?
Seriously, what is your problem?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

AshleyLS99 wrote:Again, we only live once. Why not give these children an oppurtunity to cheer on LOCAL hero's who may not otherwise have a chance to ATTEND a Warrior's game. Let's not forget there are more than a few - less fortunate families out there who may not see a warrior's game a neccessity or appropriate way to spend their hard earned dollars when they're already having a difficult enough time putting food on the table.

It's about equal oppurtunity. Commradary.

Believe it or not - schools budget out days for 'out of school' activities or field trips. A number of classes head to the pool for a 'fun swims' - nothing more, nothing less. Just fun. Because children still deserve a chance to have fun.

Deserve??? Oh maaaaaaannnn ...

Yeah, like they deserve expensive tech toys and they deserve the latest $100 sweater and they deserve booze or drugs their parents buy for them and they deserve to skip school if it isn't fun?

What warped thinking.

They deserve an education. Learning to spell :127: is a good start towards their future lives as functioning adults.

Going to watch a hockey game is not an education. They can turn on their TV to do that - and not at taxpayer expense, either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

I for one applaud our school board in attempting to create well rounded young citizens by expanding their horizons and turning the neighbourhood into the school. The fact that it is a win win relationship makes it better. It’s possible that locking them in their stale little classrooms will produce the best possible person but I doubt it.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What warped thinking.
Nope - children DO deserve to have a little fun. School is more than 4 walls as is education.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

*try again without the off-topic personal attacks/Jo*
MommyOf2
Fledgling

Post by MommyOf2 »

The Warriors also go to the local elementary schools many times during the year and play in the gym against the kids or even the teachers and the students get to watch and cheer on whoever they want to win.Its alot of fun and I think its great my son got to go yesterday to see them play a real game on ice.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

WhatThe wrote:Wait a second here joe, - Who are you to say what is right or wrong for my child?
When I was that age my mother took me to see the queen of England in new Westminster, my brother was military honor guard, and i missed an entire day of school. Was that wrong? Are you saying that if a parent agrees to let a kid go to a hockey game so It enriches their lives it's wrong?
Seriously, what is your problem?

Now that was an education seeing the Queen! Hockey games are played everyday from Sept.1 till May. The game should not be played during the day during school time. They can go to Warrior's games in the evening. Not during learning time. What about the Okanagan Sun or an Okanagan Challenge game?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Fancy wrote:Where does the number "6" come in? I didn't read that anywhere. I'm assuming a whole class went.

I counted the number of posters. Pretty easy.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

MommyOf2 wrote:The Warriors also go to the local elementary schools many times during the year and play in the gym against the kids or even the teachers and the students get to watch and cheer on whoever they want to win.Its alot of fun and I think its great my son got to go yesterday to see them play a real game on ice.

Probably during gym time. They are teaching skill development for the game of hockey and promote the team. I have no problem with that. Lots of local minor sports do that.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

averagejoe wrote:
Fancy wrote:Where does the number "6" come in? I didn't read that anywhere. I'm assuming a whole class went.

I counted the number of posters. Pretty easy.
And you're basing your opinion on how many parents agree with sending their kids to a game (knowing that not all posters here are parents or probably not have kids that were involved) with who posted?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They can go to Warrior's games in the evening
You've said that before but fail to respond to the obvious "not everyone can afford it".
ktowncichlids

Post by ktowncichlids »

Im with you Average joe,

I remeber when MBSS started doing their hockey course for highschool credits. I think its a joke,

I think it's also a joke school wastes time on hockey.

I think its highly unfair the school only focus's on hockey and football.
i raced motocross, You think I get any credits for my sports? Especially when I learned a lot more then you would from a hockey team,
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

ktowncichlids wrote:I think it's also a joke school wastes time on hockey.

I think its highly unfair the school only focus's on hockey and football.
i raced motocross, You think I get any credits for my sports? Especially when I learned a lot more then you would from a hockey team,

Golf as well - and there's more. And you've learned a lot more you say?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

*try again without the off-topic personal attacks/Jo*
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
gloryniights

Post by gloryniights »

Oh for f%&# sakes... some people are so bitter they will complain about anything, they are CHILDREN! In elementary school I spent FULL DAYS making crafts to bring home to my parents.

They aren't missing calculus to go to a three hour hockey game. Which to me sounds like was an entire afternoon dedicated to physical education (walking to the rink, watching an active sport), good on the schools with the amount of overweight/obese children we have.

GOD FORBID, we give children something to get excited about and tell their parents about. How would a parent deal with being told a story over getting the usual 'Nothing..' when asked what they did that day. /sarcasm

I can't wait for my son to get opportunities like this to get out and enjoy things like that - me and his father hate hockey so I don't really have plans to bring him to one. If his school will, score!

:nyah:

Return to “Central Okanagan”