Is this against the law?

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Is this against the law?

Post by gardengirl »

Catz wrote:There is sweet old couple that goes collecting, give to them, and they are amazing :sunshine: :hailjo:
This dingbat is not.

I agree. The couple which comes out and collects cans is very nice.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
pattergrub
Fledgling

Post by pattergrub »

wow!! i find this forum absurd!! For one thing it is physically impossible to reach illegal speeds in such a short distance. for another the guy is trying to make an extra buck or two from your trash - big deal. Maybe instead of complaining online you should stop and talk to the guy. He is not a creep if you would take two seconds from your all important life and get off your butt to ask him you would realize this!!! Give your a head a shake -
satisfaction is the death of desire!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thanks Shawner - put me in the right direction.

West Kelowna by law:

4.1.10 No person shall scavenge Garbage or Recyclable Materials, whether placed out for
collection at Residential Dwelling Premises or deposited at a Recycling Depot or the
Landfill.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

pattergrub wrote:wow!! i find this forum absurd!! For one thing it is physically impossible to reach illegal speeds in such a short distance. for another the guy is trying to make an extra buck or two from your trash - big deal. Maybe instead of complaining online you should stop and talk to the guy. He is not a creep if you would take two seconds from your all important life and get off your butt to ask him you would realize this!!! Give your a head a shake -

Well, you obviously haven't seen the guy on my street.
Speed aside, what about driving on the wrong side of the road?
As for my all important life, I was outside in my yard when the guy raced up to my house and started pawing through my bin.
I was going to ask what he was doing, but he raced off to the next house before I got there.
It has also been established that what he is doing is against the local bylaws.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

gardengirl wrote:
As for my all important life, I was outside in my yard when the guy raced up to my house and started pawing through my bin.
I was going to ask what he was doing, but he raced off to the next house before I got there.

You must have a huge yard if someone drove up, stopped, got out of his car, rooted through your recycling, got back in his car, and drove to the next house before you walked from your yard to your recycling.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:

FreeRights wrote:You must have a huge yard if someone drove up, stopped, got out of his car, rooted through your recycling, got back in his car, and drove to the next house before you walked from your yard to your recycling.

He does not get out of his car. He drives up on the wrong side of the road, leans out his driver's side window and tips the bin toward him to look inside. It is creepy.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

gardengirl wrote:
He does not get out of his car. He drives up on the wrong side of the road, leans out his driver's side window and tips the bin toward him to look inside. It is creepy.

Fair enough.

It doesn't sound creepy to me ... just really, really lazy.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Darlin06 wrote:We don't throw them away. We are giving them away to help someone who needs extra cash...Taking them in won't make or break us so if we have extra we help. We help a needy family every Christmas, how is that any different?!

Is he a weirdo cause he doesn't wear a suit or drive a BMW...Or dig for bottles cause he needs money...Get over yourself! Don't judge a book by its cover!!

We don't throw them in the recycling...We hand them to a person.

No one said this man was a weirdo in regards to his clothing or car style. I do not want people scrummaging through the garbage in my part of Glenrosa!! How hard is that to understand???

There are about 4 people up here who legitimately collect bottles/cans. Why can this person not do the same instead of rummaging in peoples garbage? That is disgusting!

Good for you on how you help people. I wish more could and/or would.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

prairieflower wrote:
No one said this man was a weirdo in regards to his clothing or car style. I do not want people scrummaging through the garbage in my part of Glenrosa!! How hard is that to understand???

There are about 4 people up here who legitimately collect bottles/cans. Why can this person not do the same instead of rummaging in peoples garbage? That is disgusting!

Good for you on how you help people. I wish more could and/or would.

That's the problem. It's okay for people to do what they have to do to get by, just not around you (and others who apparently have an issue with it).
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I think what is most disturbing about this is the [apparent] lack of any compassion for people less fortunate. It is likely this person has issues that are preventing him from being employed on a full time basis, whether they be mental issues, drug dependency or otherwise. It appears he is trying to scratch some kind of income from retrieving cans from peoples recycle bins which is a hell of a lot better than wandering around parking lots, by day and night, waiting for an opportunity to break into cars or commit some other kinds of crimes against persons and property to support himself. I say give the guy a bit of a break and like was suggested by some contributors, make an arrangement with him to separate out pop cans for him. If you don't drink beverages from cans, chances are a civil exchange of first names and some discussion about your concerns would solve the problem. An offer of a hot cup of coffee on a frosty morning, as a prelude to introductions and discussion might yield amazing results. To simply say that one is irritated by someone such as this rooting through your recycle bin seems a bit mean spirited at first glance.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

I must say, I would rather have someone going through my recycling in the hopes that they find something, as opposed to driving about and having them just standing on street corners, staring at you in your vehicle and not doing a thing to help themselves...If I was in need of extra money, I'd be looking for cans myself...

Whatever his reason is for doing this, is none of my business. I just help him out every now and then. I also support the bottle drives that the local schools have had...

I don't find him creepy in the least bit...And as one poster said, its hard to reach crazy speeds when driving from my house to the neighbours...

Regardless, if its uncomfortable for you, talk to him. Put a sign on your bin saying there are no cans...Don't know what else to tell ya...
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Treblehook wrote:I think what is most disturbing about this is the [apparent] lack of any compassion for people less fortunate. It is likely this person has issues that are preventing him from being employed on a full time basis, whether they be mental issues, drug dependency or otherwise. It appears he is trying to scratch some kind of income from retrieving cans from peoples recycle bins which is a hell of a lot better than wandering around parking lots, by day and night, waiting for an opportunity to break into cars or commit some other kinds of crimes against persons and property to support himself. I say give the guy a bit of a break and like was suggested by some contributors, make an arrangement with him to separate out pop cans for him. If you don't drink beverages from cans, chances are a civil exchange of first names and some discussion about your concerns would solve the problem. An offer of a hot cup of coffee on a frosty morning, as a prelude to introductions and discussion might yield amazing results. To simply say that one is irritated by someone such as this rooting through your recycle bin seems a bit mean spirited at first glance.

I don't see anything to indicate a lack of compassion for the less fortunate. The behaviour of this guy is disturbing to people.
That is evidenced by the number of people who have commented here. If there was not something odd about it, no one would be talking about it.
What he is doing in the daylight makes me wonder what else he is doing. Is he going into people's yards at night? Is he breaking into cars?

I know a number of people who collect cans, I know them to talk to and have no problem helping them out.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

Maybe you should try talking to this guy...As opposed to getting all defensive, approach him and ask him if he'd like some cans...You might be suprised!

There's nothing creepy about people looking for cans...You see lots of them stopped along roads all the time looking in ditches and such...I don't understand how his behavior is disturbing...What about the people who walk from gas station to gas station with their shopping carts full of cans??

By saying that he could be going into yards and breaking into vehicles is just blowing things out of proportion...Have you witnessed this? Probably not...He's in need of some extra cash...

Like I said before, at least he's helping himself...Sure he doesn't come to your door and ask, but some people feel absolutely insecure and depressed about asking for help...Its never easy to admit you need help...
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Stay off my property...I have seen him, have tried to approach him and he drives off...fast...break...fast...break...can over...fast...break...
I have kids that play in the driveway, thanx.
The older couple...no issues with...
I get helping others, trust me.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

What he is doing in the daylight makes me wonder what else he is doing. Is he going into people's yards at night? Is he breaking into cars?

Wow. Paranoia is alive and well.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Central Okanagan”