Fire truck going around for food donations!

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Fire truck going around for food donations!

Post by fall »

If they are not trying to put people on the spot by going door to door catching alot of people off guard then I dont know what I would call it. Turning up the intensity and getting in peoples faces for donations? There are drop baskets almost everywhere you go is that not enough and every Christmas function held requests donations. What kid doesnt like a fire truck and sirens!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Seriously? Bah humbug? Something they do every year? It's hardly a surprise and you're welcome to say you've already donated, turn your lights off and pretend you're not home or drop one can of food into the box. You're the first person who has been negative about it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fleshfailures
Board Meister

Post by Fleshfailures »

You're complaining that the fire department is trying to help the food bank for the holidays? Really? They do this every year, and I've never seen them drive fast.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

No Im not complaining about them trying to help the food bank everyone and everywhere is trying to help it seems which is great. I would rather see the Salvation Army ringing bells at your front door for donations of money that way they can buy items as needed. Hopefully they do get alot though and not just canned beans and pasta sauce.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:No Im not complaining about them trying to help the food bank everyone and everywhere is trying to help it seems which is great. I would rather see the Salvation Army ringing bells at your front door for donations of money that way they can buy items as needed. Hopefully they do get alot though and not just canned beans and pasta sauce.

They are outside almost every liquor and grocery stores.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Having read through fall's previous posts, this is exactly what one should expect.
I see why Santa gives out coal to some people
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

They are outside almost every liquor and grocery stores.[/quote]

And food drop locations for food are nearly everywhere you go not to mention schools workplaces and every event in December, my point being is it really necessary to be going door to door and if they do then why dont the Salvation Army start something similar. If I recall it was last year that people were complaining about Christmas kettles and bells being rung all over and one major retailer banned them until it made news and people were in an uproar over that.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't go to school and don't go to functions. I and all my neighbours, friends and family love the fire truck coming through the neighbourhood. They provide a real service and don't infringe on my privacy at all. I like helping people and I choose to donate to the food bank through the fire department. You don't have to do anything. The fire department is non-denominational/not affiliated with any religous group - some people like that.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Fancy wrote:I don't go to school and don't go to functions. I and all my neighbours, friends and family love the fire truck coming through the neighbourhood. They provide a real service and don't infringe on my privacy at all. I like helping people and I choose to donate to the food bank through the fire department. You don't have to do anything. The fire department is non-denominational/not affiliated with any religous group - some people like that.

You must go to grocery stores and the mall and countless other places that have donation bins, they do not provide a real service because if you are going to donate your going to donate whether it be to a drop box or someone knocking at your door at dinner time unexpected ( not everyone keeps track of when they are going to be at your door ) there is no lack of other options. The fd may not be affiliated with any religous groups other than maybe an ego group (some not all) if there is such a thing but what does it matter it goes to the people who need it. Set up a truck at various locations and flash the lights and sign autographs and take pictures for the kids that way, donate the money from the diesel that they burn to the cause!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fall wrote:You must go to grocery stores and the mall and countless other places that have donation bins, they do not provide a real service because if you are going to donate your going to donate whether it be to a drop box or someone knocking at your door at dinner time unexpected ( not everyone keeps track of when they are going to be at your door ) there is no lack of other options. The fd may not be affiliated with any religous groups other than maybe an ego group if there is such a thing but what does it matter it goes to the people who need it. Set up a truck at various locations and flash the lights and sign autographs and take pictures for the kids that way, donate the money from the diesel that they burn to the cause!

Wow, I just can't believe you have an issue with the fire department doing a community service like this (yes it is a service). Please phone them and complain to them you don't like them burning the diesel but I hope they don't listen. I'm not a kid to stand in front of a truck to get my picture taken but I still love the fact they get out into the community to help others. My shopping habits aren't your concern but I don't like shopping at the mall and I like places like Quality Greens and I don't donate to a drop box as I am always in a rush when I'm out. I know the fire department is coming around and it's a lot easier for me to pack up a box or huge bag and give it to them. It's festive, fun and a great way to help others.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Thank you, Fancy :sunshine:
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Wow, I just can't believe you have an issue with the fire department doing a community service like this (yes it is a service). Please phone them and complain to them you don't like them burning the diesel but I hope they don't listen. I'm not a kid to stand in front of a truck to get my picture taken but I still love the fact they get out into the community to help others. My shopping habits aren't your concern but I don't like shopping at the mall and I like places like Quality Greens and I don't donate to a drop box as I am always in a rush when I'm out. I know the fire department is coming around and it's a lot easier for me to pack up a box or huge bag and give it to them. It's festive, fun and a great way to help others.[/quote]

Yes it is a service that helps their image and not necessary with every other option available, just saying they could donate hundreds on burnt diesel instead and still get their publicity by setting up at various locations. You may not be a kid that idolizes firefighters and get your picture taken and the whole 9 but you did mention your neighbourhood and kids loved it! your shopping habbits are not my concern or care but you mentioned you dont do or go to certain places. how much of a rush could you possibly be in when out and about, you seem to have time to burn on here! you may know they are coming around but not everyone does. I would think it would be easier at any grocery store to buy the items and drop them at the door on the way out, they all have them you cant tell me you dont pass several anytime you go shopping. and your still helping out others. Its like donating without all the attention and recognition!
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

trolling, trolling, trolling... :127:
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Anyway my last post this is kind of ridiculous, started as the fire truck driving around with lights, sirens speed walking door to door didnt know what was going on, found out, thought do we really need them going around with all the other donating options if someone wants to donate they will and know where to do so!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

fall wrote:If they are not trying to put people on the spot by going door to door catching alot of people off guard then I dont know what I would call it. Turning up the intensity and getting in peoples faces for donations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgP0aUKlmNw
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”