Plows ready to roll in West Kelowna

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Plows ready to roll in West Kelowna

Post by gardengirl »

I agree. There has been a lot of snow in a short period of time. Webber is ok, my street is ok, hwy 97 is fine.
I remember times when Argo was doing it that 4 days would go by without seeing a truck.
The roads are slick, no doubt, but the snow removal guys are doing pretty well trying to keep up.
There are people who are over confident, those ones blast past you like it's summer. There are also those who are white knuckled driving 20mph on the highway. Neither of these groups should be out there. They are both a danger to other drivers.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

good darlin...not here though...
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

gardengirl wrote:I agree. There has been a lot of snow in a short period of time. Webber is ok, my street is ok, hwy 97 is fine.
I remember times when Argo was doing it that 4 days would go by without seeing a truck.
The roads are slick, no doubt, but the snow removal guys are doing pretty well trying to keep up.
There are people who are over confident, those ones blast past you like it's summer. There are also those who are white knuckled driving 20mph on the highway. Neither of these groups should be out there. They are both a danger to other drivers.

I DISAGREE...it is a nightmsre, as so says the district.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Yes, the roads are bad. No doubt about it. However, the snow removal company can only do so much.
There has been 2 snowfall warnings in 2 days. Kelowna is no better do not have the same snow removal guys as Westbank.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I just know has not been an issue since this year....just saying
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Catz wrote:I just know has not been an issue since this year....just saying

We have been here over 12 years. This is far from the worst I have seen.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Difference of opinion from someone who has lived here for 22 years ...

wolfen_one wrote:We have lived on Webber road for 22 years and have not seen it as poorly maintained as it has been this year. I personally am equipped with a heavy four wheel drive so have not had a problem but........ I'm very concerned for children walking to Glenrosa elementary when the road has only one lane semi-plowed and is a skating rink for cars. Accident waiting to happen!

With Argo, this school bus, city bus, and sidewalk lacking road with pedestrian traffic was always one of the first to get done.
Glenrosa road not a wholle lot better!
Overall rating on the first week of the new contractors services......wait for it......F-
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

its there job to get the job done,when the job needs to be done,thats what there supposed to do.SO DO YOUR JOB
WE ONLY NEED THEM TO STEP UP ONLY 10-20 DAYS OF THE YEAR in the winter
there guys wine that they only have a few days year to make money,and when its time to step up ,find any ecuse in the book
why the job does not get done
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I live off a major bus route (school buses too) and this is the first time I have seen it this bad. Yesterday I won't *bleep* about because it was a lot of snow in a short period of time. But other snowfalls this year they have been slow.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
pwjm

Post by pwjm »

Being slow is one thing... but they KNEW the snow was coming on several occasions. They didn't apply the liquid magnesium or prepare for it in any way.

This boils down to them hoping and waiting to see if the snow won't be as bad as forecast so they can save a buck.
nicolewallis9

Post by nicolewallis9 »

deleted
Last edited by nicolewallis9 on Jan 9th, 2013, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Shovel your snow complaints this way
by Wayne Moore - Story: 85580
Jan 9, 2013 / 5:00 am

The District of West Kelowna wants to know what you think about snow removal in the municipality so far this winter - is it good or bad?

The snow removal contract in West Kelowna was awarded to AEL. They took over from Argo Road Maintenance Dec. 7 of last year.

"I think it's fair to say there have been some transition issues. We noted that would probably be the case given the takeover date of Dec. 7, in the middle of the snow season," stated DWK Chief Administrative Officer, Jason Johnson, at Tuesday's council meeting.

"It is important that, as residents come across complaints or concerns about snow removal, that they make those complaints directly to the District of West Kelowna. We are using this as a learning experience moving forward and how best to address residents' concerns and ensuring they get the service the contract calls for."

It has been admitted that there have been numerous complaints since AEL took over the contract last month, however, council agreed the company has been forced into a steep learning curve.

"I am sympathetic they took over the contract Dec. 7 and we went right into a significant snow season," says Councillor Rick de Jong.

"I recognize they haven't had a lot of breathers, but we do have some issues."

Mayor Doug Findlater acknowledged there have been some positive comments but added those people are in the minority.

"The contractor is learning the community. There are eight trucks on the road at any one time which I think is significant," says Findalter.

"You don't say this very often, but we encourage complaints so we can identify what the problems are."

Council is expected to be updated with how many issues have been brought up and how the contract has been going at its next meeting on Jan. 22.

A representative from AEL is expected to be in attendance.

In the meantime, people are asked to contact the municipality directly with comments, issues or complaints regarding snow removal in the municipality.

Comments can be sent to [email protected], 778-797-2225 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or 1-866-353-3136 after hours.

Findlater reminded residents that all emails are answered, however, phone calls will not always be returned.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

wolfen_one wrote:We have lived on Webber road for 22 years and have not seen it as poorly maintained as it has been this year. I personally am equipped with a heavy four wheel drive so have not had a problem but........ I'm very concerned for children walking to Glenrosa elementary when the road has only one lane semi-plowed and is a skating rink for cars. Accident waiting to happen!

With Argo, this school bus, city bus, and sidewalk lacking road with pedestrian traffic was always one of the first to get done.
Glenrosa road not a wholle lot better!
Overall rating on the first week of the new contractors services......wait for it......F-
[/quote]
Teaps
Board Meister

Post by Teaps »

Just had the plows roll through Glenrosa side streets, essentially placing large AND HEAVY snow boulders at the top of everyone's driveway. What a joke.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Since my last my post they have improved a lot. Still a ways to go but C+ for effort.

Return to “Central Okanagan”