Fledgling

Re: Plows ready to roll in West Kelowna

Post by hotrocket »

Call 1-866-353-3136 to complain after regular office hours
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

OMG...WHAT A NIGHTMARE IN GLENROSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be complaining...this is UNACCEPTABLE :purefury:
T. Rawlin
Fledgling

Post by T. Rawlin »

I have been very impressed with the workmanship of the Zamboni drivers from AEL/HMC. I guess with the NHL strike, there were enough unemployed hockey rink workers for HMC to be able to scoop up some highly experienced staff for their crew. The ice surface on our roadways has never been so lovingly maintained as it has this winter.

I am really enjoying how the mirror-like finish is making our roads sparkle and shine. It is rare to see Zamboni drivers perform at this level of excellence. The District of West Kelowna staff should be commended for hiring such an amazing rink maintenance crew, and putting them to work on our roads. Another few days of this type of road maintenance, and I'll finally be able to use my luge or bobsled to get to work.

It really makes my winter great to not have to endure the awful sound of metal scraping on asphalt when following a plow. Even better, they're not throwing any sand on the roads, so I do not have to suffer getting that nasty grit all over my car. I can appreciate the skill and dedication it requires to ensure that the blade never makes contact with the road surface. It takes a deft hand and great finesse to just remove the snow without harm to the ice beneath.

There is a real community spirit building as our roads turn into recreational zones. It is heart-warming to watch the little kids skating on my street, and see the older folks catching a few ends of curling in the evenings after supper. Thanks, HMC, for bringing the community together in this way. May your Zambonis never rust!!!
KingCreole
Board Meister

Post by KingCreole »

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Here in Casa Loma we haven't seen a plow in our area this year, period! And it's not as if our taxes are dirt cheap here. Just a joke.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

I live on the rez and the roads here are plowed, salted and sprayed almost more they they need it. :sillygrin:
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Don't tell them. Yep, main roads done, sidewalks done and the plow has done my neighbourhood road twice already this morning.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

totally uncalled for./Trip
hotrocket
Fledgling

Post by hotrocket »

OR it may have something to do with the fact that the DWK contract does not include plowing on WFN land. So the reason those areas and roads are getting plowed is becuase the new contractors are not doing those areas haha. nice. I have the feeling the DWK complaint line is all lit up this morning!!
shelly01
Board Meister

Post by shelly01 »

Thank you also for the realistic road updates everyone. Now I know what to expect when I head out shortly. Stay safe, everybody!
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sweetjjp

Post by Sweetjjp »

Think it will be a different tune when there is a serious accident because the roads were not done like they should be.

With living up in Glenrosa it is to be expected to have more snow. Main roads AKA bus routes were always done. Not at all this year. It is horrible. You will soon see that people will have to walk further to get to the bus stops because the buses can't make it up Bluejay Rd. The fact that there are no sidewalks up here makes it harder for parents to walk their children to school and be safe.

I guess it is there is their way of saving money
westbank07
Fledgling

Post by westbank07 »

There's no such thing as 'snow removal' in West Kelowna, just snow 'shifting' from the road to the driveways and sidewalks :smt111
KingCreole
Board Meister

Post by KingCreole »

Well the cavalry just came through on our street....

hotrocket
Fledgling

Post by hotrocket »

T. Rawlin wrote:I have been very impressed with the workmanship of the Zamboni drivers from AEL/HMC. I guess with the NHL strike, there were enough unemployed hockey rink workers for HMC to be able to scoop up some highly experienced staff for their crew. The ice surface on our roadways has never been so lovingly maintained as it has this winter.

I am really enjoying how the mirror-like finish is making our roads sparkle and shine. It is rare to see Zamboni drivers perform at this level of excellence. The District of West Kelowna staff should be commended for hiring such an amazing rink maintenance crew, and putting them to work on our roads. Another few days of this type of road maintenance, and I'll finally be able to use my luge or bobsled to get to work.

It really makes my winter great to not have to endure the awful sound of metal scraping on asphalt when following a plow. Even better, they're not throwing any sand on the roads, so I do not have to suffer getting that nasty grit all over my car. I can appreciate the skill and dedication it requires to ensure that the blade never makes contact with the road surface. It takes a deft hand and great finesse to just remove the snow without harm to the ice beneath.

There is a real community spirit building as our roads turn into recreational zones. It is heart-warming to watch the little kids skating on my street, and see the older folks catching a few ends of curling in the evenings after supper. Thanks, HMC, for bringing the community together in this way. May your Zambonis never rust!!!

This is seriously one of the funniest posts :) :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

I sure hope everyone is taking the time to let the DWK know about this....Keep calling, writing etc.

This is totally unacceptable and the District is wanting a 3% tax increase......up their a$$es I say.

Roads Maintenance (8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday to Friday) 778-797-2225
Email [email protected]
After hours and holidays 1-866-353-3136
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

My road was not bad at all. I am up in Glenrosa. I headed into town around 11am and saw 3 truck working the area of Old Okanagan Hwy. All the streets down there were clear and the highway was fine.
Everybody thinks their street should get priority.
I say settle down and give these guys a chance.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Central Okanagan”