Destruction of Rose Valley Trails

Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Destruction of Rose Valley Trails

Post by Steve-O »

Help build a turtle jump! That just sounds awesome. I know riders in Whistler claim to jump over the bear that lives there but no one has ever claimed to jumped a turtle. Likely the turtles are too slow.

Not sure what trash you are trolling about LM. Bikers I know will pack out more than they pack in. One trip up Smith Creek I met some 4x4er's having beers and a fire at the first look out, nice guys but next ride up we cleaned up the empties they left behind. You get some in every crowd LM.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. It has served its purpose, I was able to connect with several other concerned Rose Valley users and there is now a meeting scheduled with the district to discuss the improvements being made to the trail system.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

As it has been years since riding the Rose Valley network I can only go by what
I've read here.
I sure hope it is not like the travesty that has been done to the
area off of Gillard FSR or beyond Stewart Rd. above Crawford,
But I fear that it is..
If you do not have the skill to ride the terrain, find more suitable terrain, don't build
a bunch of structures to help you over it!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Rose Valley is likely as you remember Dirtybiker, except with a few more trails. There are no jumps, stunts, teeter totters or what not built up. All the technical challenges are from what Mother Nature has to offer, hence our objection to the steps cut into a number of chutes and pitches.

logman may try to paint a picture of disrespectful mtn bikers up there with chainsaws cutting down swaths of timber but in respect to RV, nothing could be further from the truth.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

:rate10:
logman wrote:Ignore me like you ignore the rules. Once again shows the ignorance of the mountain bike community Respect the people that built those trails?

Respect is the key word.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'm actually embaressed by some of the dirtbiking trails that I had a hand in building.
Trails where there was no trail before.
What started out as Expert class, single track cross country/ bush bash terrain
now has turned into roadways you could take a truck through.
We originated it as a spot to challenge ourselves to the extreme.
Hikers and Horseback riders discovered some of them and flagged them, then cut and altered Them to make it easier.
Along comes Mr. Quad and pushes it through even more. Then Mr. 4X4 figures he can jam and ram his way through.

Next thing you know a mere few yrs later.
Destruction of our back-Country.

We did learn over time to
1) Keep our entrance and exit points very obscure and remove any flagging that may have been placed, as well as moving said enter/exit points as needed.
2) Stick to exhisting trail networks for the most part so as to not wear out our prime spots.
3) Don't blab about where we ride. :147:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

3 very key points.

Here is a youtube video of the Rose Valley Trails in question. The first few minutes in particular rides over areas that now have stairs carved into them. Its too bad GoPro seems to give such a fisheye view and you don't get a good feeling for how steep some of these areas really are. Now with the stairs, what was once a challenge to ride is downright dangerous and feedback from hikers is that the stairs were not necassary and has made a few spots for them even more difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BID4dhLNV4A
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Why does every minority feel they have the right to overtake, oust, or supersede all others? Tail walkers, dirt bikers, trail bikers, ATV'ers, and in some places, muggers, all seem to think all rules everywhere should be made for their group? Why won't minority accept the fact and be glad they are allowed in the first place?

It was after all, a 'hiking trail' first was it not?

j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Don't know Jim. Some of the early posts on here say that it was a dirt bike/4x4 area back in the day. I wasn't here back then. Now its off limits to motorized vehicles and open to hikers and bikers. Again back to the early posts, changes were made that made some portions of the trail inaccessible to mtn bikers, even dangerous, and we are now meeting with RDCO on how to keep these portion of the trail open to both user groups. It has always been my experience up there, both as a hiker and as a biker that both groups respect each other and we are working with that in mind. No one is trying to supersede anyone. It is a beautiful area and however you climb up to the top, your reward is a terrific view of the Valley.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Steve-O wrote:Don't know Jim. Some of the early posts on here say that it was a dirt bike/4x4 area back in the day. I wasn't here back then. Now its off limits to motorized vehicles and open to hikers and bikers. Again back to the early posts, changes were made that made some portions of the trail inaccessible to mtn bikers, even dangerous, and we are now meeting with RDCO on how to keep these portion of the trail open to both user groups. It has always been my experience up there, both as a hiker and as a biker that both groups respect each other and we are working with that in mind. No one is trying to supersede anyone. It is a beautiful area and however you climb up to the top, your reward is a terrific view of the Valley.

Bang on Steve. The best part is that the reasonable folk are working together through CORD - oh yeah, they changed from a block of wood to RDCO.

I've only been around since '75 but don't remember there to be a lot of hikers, bikers, or any ATV's at all. Mostly, hikers. No matter, so long as they can get together and work it out. Only problem is, RDCO is a wiz at job creation and job security and usually put that first. It will take some time. Good luck to all. I'm sure it will eventually work out to everyone's satisfaction if the "public" can hold the "officials" feet to the fire.

j

Return to “Central Okanagan”