WFN rights

zzontar
Guru

Re: WFN rights

Post by zzontar »

coffeeFreak wrote:There weren't any links to back up the original post, but that didn't seem to bother you in supporting the OP's claim...why are you asking now?

They're the only nation I've seen that has a beach that no other's can use, so I'd just think their school would fall along the same line of thinking.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

zzontar wrote:Do you have any links to back that up?

The OP posts an inflammatory statement without providing links and that's okay. I post facts and get called on it and asked to provide a link? ](*,)

There are numerous links that showcase Sensisyusten and what it offers but if you want verification, let your fingers do the walking and call the school at 250-768-2802. The very nice woman who answers the phone will be more than happy to educate you. You can even make arrangements for a tour of the school if you want.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

oneh2obabe wrote:You can even make arrangements for a tour of the school if you want.

Tour them all, B.C. is a beautiful province! Of course some of them are in remote areas, accessible only by walk on ferries, but hey, make it a day trip. The one in Penticton is an award winning architectural design!

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 581150.htm
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

As I mentioned earlier, their beach is exclusive, and on the WFN education page, it doesn't mention whether the school is for WFN's only or not, but here are some other things on the same page: http://www.wfn.ca/siya/education.htm
Head Start Preschool

We are an Aboriginal daycare that provides service to Aboriginal children and families only.

Education Assistance

Educational Assistance programs are also provided for WFN Members, from Kindergarten to Grade 12, registered at a public or private institution.

Tutoring

Tutoring support is available for students attending school full-time from September through June. The student must be resident of the reserve or WFN Member.

Aboriginal eMentoring

Thinking that their school would be only for WFN citizens seemed more likely than not.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'm curious - why do you care so much what they are doing on their own Land?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

thank u to norma i have been asking the same thing all along
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

normaM wrote:I'm curious - why do you care so much what they are doing on their own Land?

Many billions of dollars are paid to natives from non-native Canadians like myself who had absolutely nothing to do with their losing land, so it's not unreasonable for taxpayers to see where exactly these billions of dollars are going.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

you come across as sounding bitter that you are not First Nations.. the money they get doesn't come out of your pocket. I'm glad they have the school and that they have managed ( unlike some other tribes that got lousy land deals) to do what they have. A Treaty is a binding contract, sooner you learn that the easier it will be for you to let resentment go
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Educational Assistance programs are also provided for WFN Members, from Kindergarten to Grade 12, registered at a public or private institution.[/quote]
Tutoring

Tutoring support is available for students attending school full-time from September through June. The student must be resident of the reserve or WFN Member.

Aboriginal eMentoring

I think that the above is what bothers me. If First Nations wants to offer these segregated services to their children, I think that's great but that they have access to things like tutoring made available to them as a service BECAUSE they are residents or WFN members in public schools, I question that.

I also question the separate awards that are given in public schools to recognize natives. I was present at a Boucherie high award ceremony for sports and there was a separate award given to a native athlete who was indeed, very talented but even he said that he wished he hadn't been singled out because he was native.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

ya i agree god forbid they teach there kids ! .
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

what would u say if i told u anyone can get tutoring or help with school !

just ask there r a lot of programs to help with this . u can be native , white , mexican , or arab and they will be happy to help u learn whatever it is that your mind yearns for . me i never bothered to ask most dont . but i know its there . please stop hating on natives we have a good band over there . i have lived in towns where the native reserves r much rougher than this one we have across the lake . i tip my hat to this band . they have none of the oil money the alberta and sask bands have . yet they still do well for themselves. we dont have the ip or native posse here . i suggest u start showing this band a little respect or u may find things can change for the worse as they can for the better
wonderland

Post by wonderland »

zzontar wrote:
Many billions of dollars are paid to natives from non-native Canadians like myself who had absolutely nothing to do with their losing land, so it's not unreasonable for taxpayers to see where exactly these billions of dollars are going.

Let me ask you where you are living ,no let me guess on native land that was taken away from natives. Where are you and your ancestors from ,how come you dont live there anymore If you have a issues with the wite goverments disisions and treaty mayby you should consider geting down to your own roots and and go home to your own native land .It is realy nice to be able to see your own heritage and ancestors ,it is just a shame that the natives of this land have so much nagative history brought upon them.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

wonderland wrote:
Let me ask you where you are living ,no let me guess on native land that was taken away from natives. Where are you and your ancestors from ,how come you dont live there anymore If you have a issues with the wite goverments disisions and treaty mayby you should consider geting down to your own roots and and go home to your own native land .It is realy nice to be able to see your own heritage and ancestors ,it is just a shame that the natives of this land have so much nagative history brought upon them.

My ancestors, like many people people, lost a lot of land in wars in the past (check how the world map has changed considerably over the last handful of centuries.) This being said, natives here have the opportunity to move there or anywhere in Europe and become a full citizen. Once they are a citizen of that country, they will not be told they can't build a house here or there because it's Italian (e.g.) land, nor will they have to pay more taxes than the indigenous people, nor have people trying to make them feel guilty and responsible because the indigenous people lost land to wars in the past.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

wonderland wrote:Let me ask you where you are living ,
In Canada, a nation where supposedly all are treated EQUAL no matter the race or religion. Where do you live?
no let me guess on native land that was taken away from natives.
Nope because until the settlers came along the local indigenous population had no concept of actual land ownership
Where are you and your ancestors from
I'm from Canada, where are you and your ancestors from?
,how come you dont live there anymore
I'm a Canadian living in Canada so I don't understand the question. I live where I'm from.
If you have a issues with the wite goverments disisions and treaty mayby you should consider geting down to your own roots and and go home to your own native land
Canada is MY native land
It is realy nice to be able to see your own heritage and ancestors
I see it everyday because I'm a Canadian living in Canada
,it is just a shame that the natives of this land have so much nagative history brought upon them.
Seems like quite a bit of that negativity may be self inflicted
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

dirtguy wrote:

Hey, take your facts and post them somewhere else,this thread is for wild accusations and hate mongering only. :purefury:

As funny a quip as this is (I really did laugh), the funny thing is that many are calling questioning a "widget" only something as being wrong is racist or hate mongering. Especially if its something that we would otherwise think of as normally accessible by all. This is no laughing matter. There truly is a slippery slope to be weary of. The word exclusive indicates exclusion. We should question any group that does this regardless of heritage or creed, no matter what the popular political correctness of the day is. In this case (assuming it's true) this school is open to all denominations. As it should be. Questioning over. No hate mongering.

Return to “Central Okanagan”