Re: WFN rights

Post by W105 »

this is quite interesting...worth the watch

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/1741805410001
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

"Disneyland": If you want to start a forum called "Bashing Natives of Northern Ontario" fill your boots. Don't use your bashing session under guize of this forum "WFN rights" because what you have stated is totally incorrect. So please do not generalize.
As for your statement WFN Consititution makes provisions for seizure on Reserve, therefore, finiancial institutions can seize assets on WFN Reserves. WFN is its own Self Governing body.

The irony of this entire discussion is that it began with the OP making an incorrect statement, and once that was refuted, it turned into one more thread for certain individuals to spew their intolerant and ignorant generalizations about an entire race of people...unfortunately any logical discussion on this topic in this forum is not possible.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Disneyland wrote:
The term you are looking for is "Pre-emption" this country was based on it. White settlers were given large tracts of land for free. Native people were not allowed to pre-empt land.

Yes, but who gets the free land and who has to pay for land now? Is it whites or natives who get land today because they're ancestors were given tracts of land by the government in the past?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

westside105 wrote:this is quite interesting...worth the watch

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/1741805410001

now were talking people, thats were your money is going people, the chiefs are stealing it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

coffeeFreak wrote:
The irony of this entire discussion is that it began with the OP making an incorrect statement, and once that was refuted, it turned into one more thread for certain individuals to spew their intolerant and ignorant generalizations about an entire race of people...unfortunately any logical discussion on this topic in this forum is not possible.

Why is it when someone says something like"the white man stole their land" which generalizes every white person as being responsible for theft, that you never pipe up about generalization and stereotyping?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

because other ppl dont come off as sounding so crass .

sometimes its not what u say but how u say it

as for this thread being trashed i agree .
any reasonable discussion is swept aside by hateful jabs of ignorance .

i continue to feel strongly the wfn is doing a pretty good job .
im sure they have an issue or two but its none of my business .
in my mind they r doing great .

seeing how many northern and prairie reserves r so hard up ( 3rd world) like babbit man said .. that stuff is true its really shameful our country has such places . now as for who is a racist and who isnt .... does it even matter .. grow up a bit rise above hatred and bitterness work towards building not tearing down
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

"zzontar": Why is it when someone says something like"the white man stole their land" which generalizes every white person as being responsible for theft, that you never pipe up about generalization and stereotyping?

Fact: when the land was stolen, it was taken by "the white man", or to be more specific the French, the English etc, who were, at that time all "white men". No one can dispute that so it isn't a generalization. However, I don't accept blanket statements about any race or group of people.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

coffeeFreak wrote:
Fact: when the land was stolen, it was taken by "the white man", or to be more specific the French, the English etc, who were, at that time all "white men". No one can dispute that so it isn't a generalization. However, I don't accept blanket statements about any race or group of people.

Fact: when the land was stolen, it was taken by SOME white men, not THE white man. In the same sense, to say THE natives are abusing their status cards would be incorrect, but to say SOME are is correct. So it appears you have accepted blanket statements.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

:ohmygod:

Actually, you are right it wasn't "the white man", as that suggests only one...rather it was several white men.

zzontar wrote:
Fact: when the land was stolen, it was taken by SOME white men, not THE white man. In the same sense, to say THE natives are abusing their status cards would be incorrect, but to say SOME are is correct. So it appears you have accepted blanket statements.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Yes, so true if you actually think they meant one man stole their land, in which case you should seek help for that bump to the head. I've heard many times someone say we stole their land or that my ancestors stole their land. Both untrue yet very common.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the native people are not the only people in the world to get the shaft
some of you need to read up on world history, what great britain did to the irish and scottish people
is way worse imho that what the native people have gone through in this country .stop playing the race card its getting old and no one gives a crap, its time to start with cleaning up you own back yard
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Disneyland

Post by Disneyland »

zzontar wrote:Yes, so true if you actually think they meant one man stole their land, in which case you should seek help for that bump to the head. I've heard many times someone say we stole their land or that my ancestors stole their land. Both untrue yet very common.

So you acknowledge the land was stolen. Therefore, how can something be "given for free" when it wasn't owned by by the government giving.

On WFN 80% of the deveowned by developable lands are owned by individual members. WFN may from time to time "allot" land to individual band members for the purpose of housing. Either the member has to get thier own financing for a mortgage or has to enter an agreement with WFN to pay back a mortgage.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the land was not stolen, it was a war and the native people lost,just like any other war really, for some strange reason ottawa feels like its still has to pay out 200 years later :ohmygod: no other country in the world that has taken over other people during war time is paying out 200 years later,WAR SUCKS PEOPLE,if so can i go back to germany and get back the land that my family lost during ww2 NOT, IF I COULD I WOULD BE RICH
Disneyland

Post by Disneyland »

the truth wrote:the land was not stolen, it was a war and the native people lost,just like any other war really, for some strange reason ottawa feels like its still has to pay out 200 years later :ohmygod: no other country in the world that has taken over other people during war time is paying out 200 years later,WAR SUCKS PEOPLE,if so can i go back to germany and get back the land that my family lost during ww2 NOT, IF I COULD I WOULD BE RICH

WAR? What war are you talking about? There was no war get you "Truth" right. Or do a little research before you start throwing around unfactual information.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

call it what you want, but it was a war make no mistake about that

Return to “Central Okanagan”