Westbank Dog Owners

H+E O

Re: Westbank Dog Owners

Post by H+E O »

This post was not intended for me to go into detail of the unraveling of what occurred. I am not going to try to justify this mans actions- regardless if anything did happen (which was not the case) this is unacceptable behavior.
If you choose not be believe this post or take anything away from it that is fine.
I made this post as a word to the wise dog owners of Westbank to be well aware that there is a man in the area that is abusive to animals.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's been other threads complaining about attitudes at the dog park. I'm surprised anyone uses it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

It's a warning people. The OP has made it clear she will not divulge any other information. Lets leave it at that & stop asking. Thanks.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Even violent dogs need socialization?

I've been having issues with our old Belgiun Sheep Dog. She's always been a bit odd with dogs which we've always chalked up to hearding instinct, likes to creep up to them which has not always been well received by other dogs. Over the years though she's become more agressive, has never grabbed and shook anything but the shackles come up and there's enough snarl to scare the crap out of other owners.

It's a shame because she used to have alot of fun at the dog park and we have always been able to go off leash on trails but now she's concerned us enough to stop. Anyone have Cesar Millan's number, we're at a loss?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Poindexter wrote:Even violent dogs need socialization?

I've been having issues with our old Belgiun Sheep Dog. She's always been a bit odd with dogs which we've always chalked up to hearding instinct, likes to creep up to them which has not always been well received by other dogs. Over the years though she's become more agressive, has never grabbed and shook anything but the shackles come up and there's enough snarl to scare the crap out of other owners.

It's a shame because she used to have alot of fun at the dog park and we have always been able to go off leash on trails but now she's concerned us enough to stop. Anyone have Cesar Millan's number, we're at a loss?

Forget Cesar Millan - call one of the local dog trainers for real help.

(I get it, you said that "tongue-in-cheek", but really CM (and other TV celebrities) uses outdated and ineffective methods. Many of the local trainers are well educated and very skilled at using current theories in animal behavior. Call a few, ask questions, and choose one that you think best meets yours and your dog's needs.)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The problem here is a person - not a dog. Maybe there should be a test before utilizing a public park on what to do with someone else's animal (like - do not touch).
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

To the OP. You did not mention if this person that was hitting your dog, had a dog of his own. Was he by himself in the park or did he have his own dog with him.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

OP already stated no more information is coming. The point was to make people aware of this man's actions and be forewarned.
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Thanks Fancy. I USED TO go to that dog park, and am well aware of the problems there. However, sometimes people come in there that do not have dogs with them. Some of them are even dumb enough to bring burgers, ice cream, and little kids, into the dog park, and then wonder why they're being bothered.
Not asking what kind of dog, just if he had one or not.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've never taken my dogs there and won't. I don't trust other people that say their dog won't bite as that always makes me want to say "did you take all their teeth out?" Dogs aren't programmable robots and even those can have malfunctions. I'd like to see that guy's face plastered on every window doing the nasty deed but we'll never know the whole story nor understand the mentality behind the action. I'm sure I read on another thread to always carry a cell phone/camera to record events like this so that further steps can be taken.
1919Thompson

Post by 1919Thompson »

I've experienced the same situation only at a different location. Also my dog was only about 2 MONTHS OLD at the time. I was sitting outside at a park bench with my dog tied to the post next to me only a step away. A man came and sat between us (which was WIERD to start with) and instantly began smaking my dog in the face repeatedly (hard enough that he whimpered each time. The man got 3 hits in) I was right there and IMMEDIATLY told him I'd smack the teeth from his face and he stopped and left. Not only do I have a gentle dog but he was only a puppy no more then a couple pounds. This crap does happen....
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Captain Awesome wrote:Could your dog do anything to justify guy's reaction?

2medics wrote:I would like to state that there should be absolutely NO reason for this guys reaction, as well as NO reason to justify his actions. This is abuse, period. If this was your dog, what would be your dog's actions to justify this reaction?........

I do agree but only if your assumptions are correct. It seems many assume this guy simply grabbed the dog for no reason.

I believe there are 3 sides to every story - his, hers, and the truth. People should be held accountable for their actions, but a Forum is not the place to find anyone guilty of a crime. It's why we have courts.

In response to your question, if my dog attacked someone in a public place, the person attacked should have and exercise the right to use whatever means reasonable to fend off the attack. If someone comes on to my property and after being told to stay away from the dog and don't heed and are bitten and beat up on the dog - I'd jump in and defend the byteor, not the bytee.

Your heart is in the right place,

j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's a bit of a stretch to say this guy could be defending himself when he's got the dog off the ground and hitting it in the face. That's being on the offensive.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Something doesn't add up here.
First off...why bother 'warning' people about this guy and then refuse to give any sort of description of either he or the dog he owns? Who are we supposed to watch out for? Every middle aged man that comes into the park?
I've been to that park hundreds of times and have never witnessed anyone abusing or hitting a dog...their own or anyone else's.

The OP says they were a fair distance away and the man had his back to them....so how does the OP know what happened and that he was hitting the dog in the face?
While there is no justification for hitting a dog...there certainly is for grabbing a dog by the collar to get them away from certain situations. If the dog was being dominant or aggressive to another dog...the thing to do would be to grab it, get it's attention and away from the situation before a fight breaks out. I would do it if a dog went after my guy ....and would certainly not be offended if someone did it to him if I was a long ways away and couldn't get there in time.

I know...the OP's dog is gentle and perfect...but I/'ve seen plenty of sweet dogs start trouble in dog parks.

Some major voids in the story.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Fancy wrote:It's a bit of a stretch to say this guy could be defending himself when he's got the dog off the ground and hitting it in the face. That's being on the offensive.

Three sides - His, Hers, and the Truth. We read the dog owners impression of the events, and as admitted, from a distance. Did the dog bite him? Was the dog off leash and if so, while it doesn't justify abuse, was it in an off-leash area?

While the event is disturbing to many, there are many more interesting details that are not provided. As janalta pointed out on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:27:09 "... "Some major voids in the story."

I will wait for the Readers Digest condensed version before assuming guilt is there.

j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.

Return to “Central Okanagan”