No suite deal

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: no suite deal

Post by TreeGuy »

Treeguy wrote:it is a Landlord issue and Landlords need to be held accountable when it comes to the maintenance of the properties they rent out, until then, not on my street, thank you very much!

Libel wrote:How do you know it is the renters responsibility to maintain the yard? I understand what you are saying but until Kelowna has some by laws the rental homes will fall into disrepair.

Try reading the last part again, I am putting the onus on the landlords for the yard and house.

Agreed Dirtybiker! I have a utility trailer, a boler travel trailer, crew cab work truck, personal vehicle and canoe in my yard, but I keep them there in a neat organized fashion. And sometimes when I am renovating, doing yard work or working on a project, my yard does get messy, but my neighbours know it will get cleaned up and not left in that state.
Snowbird Home Watch
Fledgling

Re: No suite deal

Post by Snowbird Home Watch »

Removing the requirement for "owner occupancy" for secondary suites in West Kelowna was a big mistake.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Snowbird Home Watch wrote:Removing the requirement for "owner occupancy" for secondary suites in West Kelowna was a big mistake.

I'm quite certain owner occupancy is a prerequesite for aquiring a permit for legal basement suites.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Boda wrote:I'm quite certain owner occupancy is a prerequesite for aquiring a permit for legal basement suites.

At its January 22, 2013 meeting Council adopted bylaw amendments, which resulted in the removal of the following requirements for the legalization of a secondary suite:
*Owner occupancy;
*Rezoning to obtain an “S” designation to be exempt from the owner occupation requirement;
*Approval by the Interior Health Authority for septic capacity; and,
*Annual registration of all suites ($125 fee).

At the same meeting, Council adopted bylaw amendments, which resulted in the addition of the following requirements for the legalization of a secondary suite:
*One time, initial suite registration ($125 fee for voluntary legalization and $250 for involuntary legalization resulting from bylaw enforcement);
*Business Licence ($60 annual fee); and,
*Approval by a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) for septic capacity.

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/index.aspx?page=676
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

oneh2obabe wrote:[At its January 22, 2013 meeting Council adopted bylaw amendments, which resulted in the removal of the following requirements for the legalization of a secondary suite:
*Owner occupancy;
*Rezoning to obtain an “S” designation to be exempt from the owner occupation requirement;
*Approval by the Interior Health Authority for septic capacity; and,
*Annual registration of all suites ($125 fee).

At the same meeting, Council adopted bylaw amendments, which resulted in the addition of the following requirements for the legalization of a secondary suite:
*One time, initial suite registration ($125 fee for voluntary legalization and $250 for involuntary legalization resulting from bylaw enforcement);
*Business Licence ($60 annual fee); and,
*Approval by a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) for septic capacity.

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/index.aspx?page=676

Thank you so much. A resent amendment I was not aware of. I stand corrected.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

No problem ... I didn't know they revised the bylaw until I check the web site this morning.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

doubt it will go thru, parking and vicinity to the school will likely be enough to deny the application. neglect to the yard etc are mere bylaw infractions.

It does make you wonder why this person bought this house in the first place?
:)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Why would parking be an issue? The house has a garage and driveway - room for 6 vehicles.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Why do the children have to walk down the middle of the street? Because there are no sidewalks? Can't they just walk on the edge of the street then? Jeez, walking down the middle seems awfully dangerous.... :127:
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

sorry I meant parking from the school parents park on that street. Allowing more suites would mean more cars on the street more traffic etc. I cant see DWK allowing more traffic on an already busy street with blind corners at the intersection.

look at the traffic cluster that happens at the other end of Shannon ridge ( near the corner by the apartments) driving thru there is still an issue especially when cars are parked on both sides its like using a one way bridge you have to pull over and let traffic pass. fortunately there are sidewalks and the kids take the pathway behind the apartments down to CNB. Shannon ridge and Shannon place have no sidewalks and the kids have to walk on the middle of the street or on lawns.

Zoning is in place for multy family by the apartments. I would say keep it at that end and avoid the problems.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Tradesman wrote:sorry I meant parking from the school parents park on that street. Allowing more suites would mean more cars on the street more traffic etc. I cant see DWK allowing more traffic on an already busy street with blind corners at the intersection.

look at the traffic cluster that happens at the other end of Shannon ridge ( near the corner by the apartments) driving thru there is still an issue especially when cars are parked on both sides its like using a one way bridge you have to pull over and let traffic pass. fortunately there are sidewalks and the kids take the pathway behind the apartments down to CNB. Shannon ridge and Shannon place have no sidewalks and the kids have to walk on the middle of the street or on lawns.

Zoning is in place for multy family by the apartments. I would say keep it at that end and avoid the problems.

The house in question has nothing to do with the school. Not on the same street so not an issue.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Re: no suite deal

Post by wolfen_one »

dirtybiker wrote:When we bought our home 12 years ago our first check was that all the homes were
owner occupied.
Since then 7 houses have sold and become rentals.
4 of those are owned by one person who lives locally.
Very little issue as he stays on top of the yards and such himself.
The others are owned by people that live elswhere and these
places are an emberassment and a constant source of issues for
the entire neighbourhood.
I agree with the complainent. If the owner can not be on hand
or
hire a property manager to be on hand to, paint,mow,weed,etc....NO SUITE!!

Similar situation in our neighbourhood. Several absentee owners of rentals. Most renters have been good but several have caused issues
-Two grow ops
- One meth lab which we found out about when it almost burned the house down and firefighters cut through the roof of the house to put it out before they were aware that it was full of chemicals that could have taken out the whole block.
-Dangerous/viscious dogs left unattended.
-One house vacant so often that it has caused a rodent problem in the area.
The issue is that if you want to inform the owners of issues, you can not find them.
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

Fancy wrote:
The house in question has nothing to do with the school. Not on the same street so not an issue.

FYI its in the mapped affected area
its not about what street its about the area.

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Mod ... ntid=10022
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I know exactly where it is. Being close to the school is irrelevant - parking is irrelevant.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Tero wrote:Why do the children have to walk down the middle of the street? Because there are no sidewalks? Can't they just walk on the edge of the street then? Jeez, walking down the middle seems awfully dangerous.... :127:

Probably the same reason kids these days hardly ever walk alongside a road the proper way facing traffic. Keep an eye out and see how many are walking back toward traffic, ears plugged into ipod, oblivious to surroundings.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”