W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Spocky
Fledgling

Re: W. Kel. Future Shop Closing!

Post by Spocky »

fall wrote:And another big empty retail space that will never be filled! whats next!

+1. It might be mildly amusing to look at WK as the next BC ghost town, but it's not so slowly becoming a reality and it's not amusing to anyone who lives and shops in the area. I know of no other city in BC that demonstrates quite this amount of commercial devastation. I think you'd have to go to some of the gutted American Rust Belt cities to find this percentage of retail vacancy. Of course, the landlords hold onto their illusion of "everything's fine" and it's rare to see them drop below $16/ft NNN + $10! Good luck paying $26/ft. and staying alive in this market! :200:
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Pretty soon all of West Kelowna will look like this place.

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

There is a reason why they dont tell anyone that they are closing the store. Theft.

Most people would be like screw this...even our managers are being canned so there would be tons of theft.

This happened to me once when I was working In Vancouver for Gateway Country (Gateway had their own stores something like the apple stores)

Anyways it happened in April 2001 right after the Tech bubble bursted. we had about 10 stores in Canada with one store in Edmonton that was just about to open that weekend...then boom closed papered up and locks changed....One million dollars a store to open just to shut down....no warning....

The American people taking care of the shut down said that we were lucky to live in BC because they were forced to give us a severance package. The people in the states with the shut down stores came to a closed store with their final cheque and no severance.

But They built in Westbank during the boom and by the time they were finished it was a bust...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I haven't bought electronic or computer stuff in ages.
I got everything. I got two computers and a laptop.
I got a 19" Samsung tv. A dirt cheap digital camera.

I'm glad Future Shop closed up because I don't need anything there.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Symbonite wrote:But They built in Westbank during the boom and by the time they were finished it was a bust...

FutureShop opened in 2011 - hardly the booming times. In fact, I thought it was a gutsy move on their part to be expanding during a recession (well, technically we've been out of recession for a while but still).
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
DoubleFang
Fledgling

Post by DoubleFang »

Had to drive to the Kelowna Future Shop today to cash in a Christmas gift card.

When leaving I noticed the new renos for the Target Store.... :ohmygod: It then hit me that could it be possible that they closed the WK FS to herd customers to the Kelowna store, just to compete with the new Target?

With the drive(at least an hour), plus gas and wear and tear, I probably wont be shopping there in the near future.

We have: London Drugs
Staples
Andres
The Source
Walmart

I hope people still shop on the Westside, and support the business we have left.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Maybe this is the strategy. Sign up the big national box stores and then saturate the market with too many businesses. The box stores can't make it go and leave. But they've signed a long term lease and so the landlord still collects rent on empty space. Mmmm.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Captain Awesome wrote:
FutureShop opened in 2011 - hardly the booming times. In fact, I thought it was a gutsy move on their part to be expanding during a recession (well, technically we've been out of recession for a while but still).

Ya i guess your right....but didnt they have the sign there for like years before they started building...were they contracted that they have to go in as an anchor when the built the mall.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
sislonski

Post by sislonski »

When and if I shop, I only shop on the Westside. Rarely do I go into Kelowna anymore, to spend money.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't know of anyone that doesn't go into Kelowna to shop. The basics can get in West Kelowna but the selection just isn't there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Fancy wrote:I don't know of anyone that doesn't go into Kelowna to shop. The basics can get in West Kelowna but the selection just isn't there.

Completely agreed. Other than Walmart, Superstore, Starbucks and fuel, I rarely purchase anything on this side of the bridge.
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

That, and I live in West Kel, work in Kelowna, so I stop by many places after work that are otherwise closed by the time I get to West Kel!

I do admit, I bloody hate going into Kelowna on weekends :purefury:

But look at me, off to Kelowna to return bottles since there are no bottle depots on the west-side that give full refunds :purefury:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

GoStumpy wrote:That, and I live in West Kel, work in Kelowna, so I stop by many places after work that are otherwise closed by the time I get to West Kel!

I do admit, I bloody hate going into Kelowna on weekends :purefury:

But look at me, off to Kelowna to return bottles since there are no bottle depots on the west-side that give full refunds :purefury:

97 through town and downtown Kelowna are nightmares in the summer but fortunately I keep my own schedule so I end up going there mostly on weekdays. As for West Kelowna, I think that the discussion about the retail selection here is mostly academic as it's going to continue drying up. I would like to administer sanity tests for the developers who are still busy building additional space in a market that's in rigor mortis, however. Doesn't anyone actually look around a town they're investing millions of dollars to build commercial space in, or do they all figure (wrongly) that they're building the better mousetrap and they'll succeed where other landlords are crashing and burning?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

rich people don't know what to do with their money
and they build anywhere - and long term they always
get their money back - and more.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Thinktank wrote:rich people don't know what to do with their money
and they build anywhere - and long term they always
get their money back - and more.

I beg to differ. The business failures across North America and the world in the last five years have eaten up untold trillions of dollars of "rich people's cash." The only way to support that bizarre thesis is if you are a subscriber to The Daily Worker. :coffeecanuck:

Return to “Central Okanagan”