Grow ops in your neighbourhood

prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Grow ops in your neighbourhood

Post by prairieflower »

Looks like another grow-op was busted in Glenrosa this afternoon around McTaggert/McVicar Rd. Broad daylight, not far from Glenrosa Middle School and Glenrosa Elementary.....not far from end of school bell.

When are the residents of our communities going to start realizing that the house next door or across the street from them, who no one ever comes out of during normal hours like most normal folks......is not a "regular" house. The lawns do not get mowed regularly........traffic comes during weird hours. And yes, the smell of weed is in the air. Venting, even in the best of ventilated grows, still has an odor.

Too many people are NIMBY's and it's time to take back our neighborhoods.

If you see something that isn't right, not normal....report it to the non-emergency line of your local police dept. They won't get mad......honestly. Talk to your neighbors, get to know who they are, say hello.

We love our piece of heaven up here in Glenrosa and this neighborhood is literally going to pot...Pretty sad after 38 yrs of making your home one you are proud of and now we are worrying about what this wonderful area is turning in to.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Grow Ops in your neighborhood

Post by JLives »

As soon as the archaic laws are fixed and people can be legitimate gardeners and not hide in the basement. Your anger should be directed at the politicians.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

jennylives wrote:As soon as the archaic laws are fixed and people can be legitimate gardeners...

Who want to get stoned...
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

More Dope = More Dopes.
Black Dogs Matter
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What is your point? My Grandpa brewed legal beer in his basement. To get drunk. If it is adults and they are not harming others it's nobody else's business. It's legal in 2 states now, the tide is changing.

It's also used as medicine for many and the legitimate growers are being busted too. When it's no longer a crime it gets spread out and people can throw a few plants in their gardens and the large scale basement operations are far less of a concern.

I can't believe we are still having this discussion in 2013. Within the next 5 years it will be legal in BC, of that I am sure.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

In no way do I have a problem a legal grow Jenny..... I agree with you 100%.

It's the idiots who do it illegally in our neighborhoods and ruin homes, lives etc. that pi$$ us off.

I can guarantee you the one today was not "legal". I know of 2 in Glenrosa that are "legal" and have no problem with them.

We too are gardeners and agree that more of us should be able to throw a couple in our abundant garden and enjoy the rewards.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

There's a huge diff between the legal and illegal grow ops. Illegal grow ops affect their communities very negatively.

1) They leech off Hydro bypassing meters and forcing the rest of us to subsidize them
2) They destroy rental homes which often require tens of thousands of dollars to return them to livable conditions
3) They attract criminal elements to our neighborhoods as that becomes where the supply is

BC may legalize pot tomorrow, next year, or next century. The bottom line is that today it's illegal and anyone violating the law should have the book thrown at them.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Spocky wrote:There's a huge diff between the legal and illegal grow ops. Illegal grow ops affect their communities very negatively.

1) They leech off Hydro bypassing meters and forcing the rest of us to subsidize them
2) They destroy rental homes which often require tens of thousands of dollars to return them to livable conditions
3) They attract criminal elements to our neighborhoods as that becomes where the supply is

BC may legalize pot tomorrow, next year, or next century. The bottom line is that today it's illegal and anyone violating the law should have the book thrown at them.

Ouch, another one that doesn't understand the complicity of govt, police and organized crime. The military industrial complex isn't the only "organization" that profits from pedaling misery and death.

The fact of the matter is clear and well documented - biologically incongruent policy such as "the war on drugs" only makes things worse. It further marginalizes the already margined, siphons money from already over burdened essential resources (your health care, corrections, education etc.) and ensures that unscrupulous men get wealthy on both sides of the law. The wort part of all is we all pay the price while things get worse.
ride365

Post by ride365 »

Spocky wrote:BC may legalize pot tomorrow, next year, or next century. The bottom line is that today it's illegal and anyone violating the law should have the book thrown at them.

Finally someone with a bit of sense. You can argue until you're blue in the face but unlike what some people would want you to believe it still isn't a healthy choice with no adverse effects. I've been in a position that I needed strong pain and nausea medication and decided that even with all its "proven" benefits I didn't want another drug or substance (in addition to all the other prescribed medications) influencing my state of mind. There is one reason legalization has been considered in some areas and its not because its a great thing that everyone should be doing.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

ride365 wrote:
Finally someone with a bit of sense. You can argue until you're blue in the face but unlike what some people would want you to believe it still isn't a healthy choice with no adverse effects. I've been in a position that I needed strong pain and nausea medication and decided that even with all its "proven" benefits I didn't want another drug or substance (in addition to all the other prescribed medications) influencing my state of mind. There is one reason legalization has been considered in some areas and its not because its a great thing that everyone should be doing.

Not one Legitimate source has ever argued that MJ is harmless. And if you think that 40 years of failure to reduce demand , protect children and also exacerbate the issues by magnitudes through the correctional process makes sense to you then simply do not have the education and knowledge (that beyond which must be sought through your own means) to come to an informed opinion. I'm not trying to be a jerk but scientific and valid evidence and the best neurologists, psychologists, doctors, etc are essentially are all in agreement, current prohibition policies do not reflect biological, psychological, societal and environmental realities.
You are right about one thing, Washington and Colorado did not vote to legalize because its a great thing to do, they used the best available evidence to come to the conclusion that prohibition does more harm than good.

BTW, how did you feel on, and coming off those painkillers? Reflect on that for a moment.
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

Interesting thread as my husband and I were looking at buying a home in Glenrosa. There is a foreclosure on McBain that was a grow op and we considered buying it. That was until we realized what having a grow op does to a house. I'm all for the full legalization of marijuana and never stopped to consider the effect of an illegal grow op until we looked at houses. If a grow op gets busted the house is considered condemned. Nobody is allowed into it without proper masks and you have to sign a waiver to view it. In order to make an offer you have to go through private financing because the banks won't touch it. You have to go through the remediation process to get all the mold out. Sounds easy enough but its subject to a health inspector approval and costs in the thousands (sometimes tens, sometimes hundreds). In many cases these homes get torn down because the juice isn't worth the squeeze. The home sits vacant for months while bidders determine whether or not the house is worth saving. Real estate agents are obligated to disclose whether a home has been a grow op in the past. It really depreciates the value and possibly the homes next to it because the house sits vacant for a long time. It's shocking when you understand how much damage a grow op does to a home when it's not properly ventilated. I definately changed my own opinion on illegal grow ops after it became clear the house becomes a health hazard. It's not the same as brewing a little beer in the basement.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

jennylives wrote:What is your point? My Grandpa brewed legal beer in his basement. To get drunk. If it is adults and they are not harming others it's nobody else's business. It's legal in 2 states now, the tide is changing.

It's also used as medicine for many and the legitimate growers are being busted too. When it's no longer a crime it gets spread out and people can throw a few plants in their gardens and the large scale basement operations are far less of a concern.

I can't believe we are still having this discussion in 2013. Within the next 5 years it will be legal in BC, of that I am sure.

Oh good i cannot wait to smell all my neighbours legal grows and that stench from everyone around me.

Secondly if it becomes legal and people continue to grow in their basements we will have many homes destroyed and no legal requirement to let prospective buyers know it was used to grow as it wasn't an illegal activity.
I am sure brewing beer in your basement does not damage a homes structure.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What if your neighbour is growing tomatoes in their basement? Does that concern you too? It's the same process.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I try to keep away from tomatoes. It seems innocent enough when it's just a few chunks in a salad but pretty soon you're squirting ketchup on everything and before you know it, yep...pasta sauces. They're a gateway vegetable. Or fruit. The science isn't quite there yet.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Growing dope indoors generates a lot of heat.and weed does not like heat Homes are not the best place to grow dope .You have to vent the heat .It stinks if you do it outside ,so guys vent it in the attack with the moisture(mold :nutzoid: ) .Tomatoes don't stink and no one has the desire to fill every bedroom with them.They are not that profitable.
When they allowed medical legally grown people started abusing so the Gman is going stop that now and grow it again themselves. The mine shaft failed . Any who i can see it being driven further underground.These high heat generating crops should be in rural or commercial areas away from other homes.Look at Europe that's what I always say they are usually decades ahead.
I imagine That the really big ones are and these home grow ops are just people trying to make a buck.Now the price will rise,and make it more valuable and more desirable to grow.If you want to devalue a product flood the market.
http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/grow-inf ... -outdoors/
Sometimes it means stepping back.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... tions.html
and drugs are bad mkay
Peace be with you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”