Grow ops in your neighbourhood

Cumungala
Übergod

Re: Grow Ops in your neighborhood

Post by Cumungala »

The news story on the grow op in Glenrosa was hilarious! They interviewed one of the guys responsible for it and he went on about how there's nothing unnatural about growing 7000 marijuana plants in his house. He also thought it was OK to steal power because that comes from nature too. The guy acted very silly and was obviously high as a kite during the interview.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Cumungala wrote:The news story on the grow op in Glenrosa was hilarious! They interviewed one of the guys responsible for it and he went on about how there's nothing unnatural about growing 7000 marijuana plants in his house. He also thought it was OK to steal power because that comes from nature too. The guy acted very silly and was obviously high as a kite during the interview.

Oh my. Can you post a link?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

gardengirl wrote:Can you post a link?

Second page of this thread, near the top.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

jennylives wrote:
I tip my hat to you for having a reasonable opinion on the situation. Having neighbours who have no concern for the home they live in or their neighbours certainly makes life difficult. I agree there are idiots out there who have no respect for people's property and are causing issues. I don't feel there any laws that can get rid of them. I do feel legalizing marijuana for consenting adults will severely reduce their impact though as they will no longer be needed as suppliers as our current system allows for. They are supplying a demand that people can very easily supply themselves if it didn't make them criminals like under the current system.

Do you really think that it will be that simple and indeed make a difference? It is obviously difficult for any government to legalize what is termed as a drug without some backlash and if and when they do it would have to be regulated so they then have the unenviable task of regulating the way it is produced and whether it is then sold openly like alcohol and cigarettes, if it is it will be taxed and you can bet your butt that most peeps will still prefer to get theirs on the black market.
Yes you can allow sensible consenting adults to "grow a few plants" in their yard or basement for personal use but how many will actually do this? It is perfectly ok to brew your own beer at home and save a buck but how many actually do this? Judging by the line ups at the government run liquor stores not enough people do. So where does that leave us with regards to legalizing weed and will allowing people to grow their own stamp out these major grow ops and the crime that goes hand in hand with them?
I don't have the answers but i am not convinced allowing home grows will have any real affect on the big boys.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It is the moral responsibility of every Canadian citizen to do what they can to lessen crime in their community. The police can only help any given community deal with crime, criminals and criminal gangs in their area ... by collecting and compiling the information and evidence given them by individual citizens, arresting and processing the accused and insuring the whole package is forwarded to Crown Counsel. Those who have information of serious wrongdoing who fail or refuse to turn it over to the police are abdicating their personal responsibility to make their community a safe place in which to live. They are like the parasites who take all of the good offered by their host without contributing anything in return.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Graham Adder wrote:You can position yourself politically or in the judicial system and beat your head against the wall for your entire career, only to realize it's the "criminals" that affect the change...not the suits.

I have NO idea what you're trying to say. Whatever I can interpret from this statement makes no sense at all.

WhatThe wrote:Actually, if you look outside your ridged ideology, they are most commonly known as revolutionaries by those that now enjoy the liberties they suffered to give you.

Besides, the facts are known and quantifiable, the problem comes from people such as yourself who choose to ignore these facts and adhere to box thinking rather than question what is ethically responsible.

Sure, let's let everyone make their own determinations as to which laws they follow and which ones they ignore. They can make impassioned pleas for driving 200 kph in a school zone, appropriating their neighbour's jewelry, taking the stash of cash under their bed, or having sex with their underage daughter. Then we can acclaim them as revolutionaries leading the way to an age of greater liberty! :127:

Be active in changing the law as much as you want but until such time as it's on the statutes: Violate it and go to jail. Argue away all you want, and you're still wrong.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Spocky wrote:. Argue away all you want, and you're still wrong.

Well at least you're open to debate!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

goalie wrote:not very bright to talk to the media before going to court

I don't think this individual is too bright!!

Someone already stated it, who is he growing for was my first thought, he doesn't look like a very ambitious soul.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"dodgerdodge"

I don't have the answers but i am not convinced allowing home grows will have any real affect on the big boys.

I've said that from the get-go.

The problem there will always be is exportation. The largest export from BC is our bud. In saying that a very small amount is consumed locally when you consider the total amount grown.

What is returned to Canada by gangs ( call it what is its ) will never be legal on the streets. it further is the creator of many larger problems. Therefore making MJ legal in Canada will solve nothing at all.

I'd further ask, when is the last time you read a Press story, Mom and Dad busted for the three MJ plants grown amongst their tomatoes?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Two states have already legalized and more are expected to follow suit in the next few years. The US is more progressive than Canada currently on this issue. That is going to put a dent in our export market and reduce that problem significantly.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

What I don't understand is why tobacco companies haven't jumped on the band wagon.Watch season 8 of weeds it shows the future.
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/inte ... son_8.html
Last edited by kibbs on Feb 16th, 2013, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

dodgerdodge wrote:
IDo you really think that it will be that simple and indeed make a difference? It is obviously difficult for any government to legalize what is termed as a drug without some backlash and if and when they do it would have to be regulated so they then have the unenviable task of regulating the way it is produced and whether it is then sold openly like alcohol and cigarettes, if it is it will be taxed and you can bet your butt that most peeps will still prefer to get theirs on the black market.Yes you can allow sensible consenting adults to "grow a few plants" in their yard or basement for personal use but how many will actually do this? It is perfectly ok to brew your own beer at home and save a buck but how many actually do this? Judging by the line ups at the government run liquor stores not enough people do. So where does that leave us with regards to legalizing weed and will allowing people to grow their own stamp out these major grow ops and the crime that goes hand in hand with them?

Just want to point out that you've contradicted your own argument.
Of course its not simple and is an unenviable task, however, is that not what we pay them [Govt] for? They [Govt] seem to have no problem with making other unenviable decisions such as sending Canadian soldiers to die and be maimed in Afghanistan or risk ecological disaster to be an energy "superpower".
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

What my family (the pot smokers anyways) have told me is that they do not want pot legalized as $$$$ will go way up.
They just want the pot to be decriminalized so they can't be busted.
If the cost goes up then most peeps will still go to dealers as
dodgerdodge was suggesting.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Spocky wrote:Sure, let's let everyone make their own determinations as to which laws they follow and which ones they ignore. They can make impassioned pleas for driving 200 kph in a school zone, appropriating their neighbour's jewelry, taking the stash of cash under their bed, or having sex with their underage daughter

I just dont know where to start. It becomes clear when replies, such as above come into play, that you just don't have the knowledge to debate the issue, or the desire learn. You would prefer to not question but state.
BTW, When I said revolutionaries, it was more along the lines of the Magna Carta, or Da Vinci, Copernicus, Nelson Mandela or Rosa Parks.

Graham Adder wrote:The only way to make change is to buck up against the wall.
You can position yourself politically or in the judicial system and beat your head against the wall for your entire career, only to realize it's the "criminals" that affect the change...not the suits.

Spocky wrote: have NO idea what you're trying to say. Whatever I can interpret from this statement makes no sense at all.

Your response to Graham's post confirms my above conclusion, that you don't have a grasp of the facts; the history, biology, psychology or the role of societal and environmental factors.

I'll be the first to admit, i don't know everything on the subject nor do I have all the answers. One thing is clear though, our approach on the issue comes from not science or rationality, but ridgid ideology, religion and the pursuit of power/money.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Did the states that have legalized it also give a green light for small scale, personal-use production ? Like a few plants in the garden or greenhouse?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Central Okanagan”