The New Golf Course at Peachland

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: The New Golf Course at Peachland

Post by Nebula »

Last edited by Nebula on Mar 25th, 2013, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Nebula wrote:I don't know much about constructing golf courses but there was snow on the ground last week. Heck, it's snowing right now. I would think that's not exactly conducive to using heavy machinery.

With proper capital, to hire sufficient equipment and workers, the project should have been completed in two years with 6 months to a year for grow in. Ready to play in 3 years. After construction is all done, the course still requires time to grow in.

I have no knowledge of their financial plan. I am just saying it is taking a long time to build and they are no where near the end of construction.

I hope they have deep pockets as well, with the track record of new golf courses that opened in the last 5 years, things don't look good for them. Tower Ranch went into receivership, I believe they are now owned by a Calgary group. The Rise in Vernon was in receivership, not sure what the status is up there now. they will be open for play, but I think they are looking for a purchaser.

The golf course they are building in Peachland is going to be a very difficult course to maintain. It will easily cost one million dollars per year to just look after the place and keep it staffed.

I hope the they can afford this. I am not against this project, I want it to succeed, but I think that will be difficult for them.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

yaktak wrote:
With proper capital, to hire sufficient equipment and workers, the project should have been completed in two years with 6 months to a year for grow in. Ready to play in 3 years. After construction is all done, the course still requires time to grow in.

I have no knowledge of their financial plan. I am just saying it is taking a long time to build and they are no where near the end of construction.

I hope they have deep pockets as well, with the track record of new golf courses that opened in the last 5 years, things don't look good for them. Tower Ranch went into receivership, I believe they are now owned by a Calgary group. The Rise in Vernon was in receivership, not sure what the status is up there now. they will be open for play, but I think they are looking for a purchaser.

The golf course they are building in Peachland is going to be a very difficult course to maintain. It will easily cost one million dollars per year to just look after the place and keep it staffed.

I hope the they can afford this. I am not against this project, I want it to succeed, but I think that will be difficult for them.

I was up at Pincushion last week and it did look like there was still a long way to go. You have to wonder in this current economic climate how it will fare. How many of the proposed 2300 homes have been sold? There certainly didn't seem to be a huge amount up there looking finished just yet.
Still no worries at least we got a nice new intersection out of it.
artifact cat
Fledgling

Post by artifact cat »

There has been no work done on the Golf Course since the snow came last year. All the heavy construction machinery is parked beside Gladstone road off of Somerset Avenue.It hasn't moved this year. Some workers are living in large trailers parked on the property above Gladstone.
The glacial sand and massive amount of round glacial rock must present some construction problems not to mention there is no topsoil to cover it. Lots of sand for sand traps though.
Watering this sandy area will present some serious problems in particular as the only water available so far to the project is screened, chlorinated drinking water, not raw irrigation water.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Nebula wrote:There are two irrigation ponds between holes 1 and 2 to hold water for irrigation. There is a pump system there to distribute water from the ponds to all over the golf course.

Where do you think the water is going to come from to replenish the ponds? During the hot times in summer, that property will be putting out 300,000 to 450,000 gallons of water every day. It is fine and dandy to say that we will draw from irrigation ponds(but that is just a reserve), the water has to come from somewhere.

And those ponds are not big enough to catch spring runoff, that will last the operation all year.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Nebula wrote:There is a mountain of topsoil sitting in what will be the village center. When scraping the topsoil off the old course they discovered an area that was upwards of eight feet deep. They scooped it all up and piled it for later.

USGA specs for a putting green require 12 inches of top soil. Most of that will be sand. For the rest of the course, 12 inches of top soil would be ideal, but they will need a minimum of 6 inches to get really good growth of the turf. Even at 6 inchs covering the playable area is a lot of soil. Better be a very, very big pile.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Last edited by Nebula on Mar 25th, 2013, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Nebula wrote:I didn't say the ponds would supply all the water the course will need throughout the year. I was simply offering information to the previous poster who said all the irrigation water will be chlorinated drinking water.

Well, unless the town has an individual pump, to pump water from the lake to the golf course ponds, a lot of the water used to irrigate the turf, will be treated town water.
Rjamer
Übergod

Post by Rjamer »

A money pump might be pretty handy too... The "Greg Norman " pump only goes so far..
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Nebula wrote:I didn't say the ponds would supply all the water the course will need throughout the year. I was simply offering information to the previous poster who said all the irrigation water will be chlorinated drinking water.

Ok then, so where do you think the water will come from?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I suspect from one of these unless they have a well.

http://www.peachland.ca/cms.asp?wpID=162
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Nebula wrote:Again, I didn't say there was enough topsoil in the pile. The previous poster made a comment about the lack of topsoil up there and I offered accurate information about the pile, which does exist.

Well I guess then, the previous poster has some validity to their statement about not enough topsoil.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Bsuds wrote:I suspect from one of these unless they have a well.

http://www.peachland.ca/cms.asp?wpID=162

But all those sources of water run through the town system. I don't think the golf course has a pipeline to any of the water sources listed in your link.

Return to “Central Okanagan”