The New Golf Course at Peachland

tgm929
Board Meister

Re: The New Golf Course at Peachland

Post by tgm929 »

Maybe I'm missing something but was there not enough water and top soil for the golf course that was previously there? Also, I'm fairly certain that the people building the course probably paid some consideration to water and soil.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Last edited by Nebula on Mar 25th, 2013, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Last edited by Nebula on Mar 25th, 2013, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Last edited by Nebula on Mar 25th, 2013, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shankari2
Fledgling

Post by shankari2 »

tgm929 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but was there not enough water and top soil for the golf course that was previously there? Also, I'm fairly certain that the people building the course probably paid some consideration to water and soil.

Nothing is ever as simple as it looks, and this is certainly true for any development, especially in Peachland! Yes, I think maybe you are missing something. The previous golf course was a beautiful inexpensive community course, but I do not know what the arrangement was for water access. It was not a high end, expensive Greg Norman showpiece, and attached to a mega development:houses, hotel, townhouses, shops, recreational facilities etc. I suggest you look at their website and the huge development plans. This development is much more than a golf course, and the water requirements are vastly different. Also the location of the new course is not the same as the old course, hence the need for topsoil and extensive watering.

There certainly seems to be some problems with this development, yet when I last asked they were still talking about opening this summer, sometime! When the project was approved, 2008, it was clear that the economy was in trouble. I think this is yet another example of greed: a big project with high end houses and a deluxe golf course for the rich, expected to generate big profits. Lower scale projects generate less profits, but in a time of economic downturn this may have been a better choice. Development attracts high end gamblers, let us hope, that Treegroup can weather the storm, adjust theirs goals and complete something that will eventually benefit the community of Peachland.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Last edited by Nebula on Mar 25th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

shankari2 wrote:
Nothing is ever as simple as it looks, and this is certainly true for any development, especially in Peachland! Yes, I think maybe you are missing something. The previous golf course was a beautiful inexpensive community course, but I do not know what the arrangement was for water access. It was not a high end, expensive Greg Norman showpiece, and attached to a mega development:houses, hotel, townhouses, shops, recreational facilities etc. I suggest you look at their website and the huge development plans. This development is much more than a golf course, and the water requirements are vastly different. Also the location of the new course is not the same as the old course, hence the need for topsoil and extensive watering.

There certainly seems to be some problems with this development, yet when I last asked they were still talking about opening this summer, sometime! When the project was approved, 2008, it was clear that the economy was in trouble. I think this is yet another example of greed: a big project with high end houses and a deluxe golf course for the rich, expected to generate big profits. Lower scale projects generate less profits, but in a time of economic downturn this may have been a better choice. Development attracts high end gamblers, let us hope, that Treegroup can weather the storm, adjust theirs goals and complete something that will eventually benefit the community of Peachland.

I'm fully aware of what the entire plan is for the area. And it's not just for the rich as you seem to think. My point was, why would someone assume that people building a golf course wouldn't plan for dirt and water?

I also understand that the old Ponderosa course was low cost and no frills and that many are unhappy that the new course is going to cost more to play. Making unsubstantiated claims about the project because one doesn't like the project isn't going to make it go away. The benefits to Peachland are already substantial.

Maybe the course and development will work out and maybe it won't, but I'm fairly certain top soil won't be the deciding factor.
shankari2
Fledgling

Post by shankari2 »

tgm929 wrote: The benefits to Peachland are already substantial.
Maybe the course and development will work out and maybe it won't, but I'm fairly certain top soil won't be the deciding factor.

I think you misunderstood me, I was not talking about little benefits, I am talking about an overall benefit to the Community of Peachland. Yes, we have a nice Ponderosa intersection, much improved Princeton/Highway intersection, and yes, a skateboard park which suddenly appeared as top priority on Peachland's list of projects for the amenities voluntary tax contributions. It is great, the kids like it, I have talked with them, it's a hit. Cleverly our municipality got Treegroup to "cough up". But what will really benefit Peachland is significant progress on the actual development. Five years later, we have one show townhouse, and some walls for others, and two green areas. Whether I like the project or not, is immaterial. It was approved five years ago let's see something other than dirt and rocks and machinery sitting idle. I am hoping that this is not another development that is in trouble. Greg Norman's name is no longer on the Golf Ball sign, does this mean anything?

Another failed project will not benefit Peachland.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Last edited by Nebula on Mar 25th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shankari2
Fledgling

Post by shankari2 »

"An odd statement from someone against the development."

Nebula, Please read what I said, the project was approved by council, hence it should go ahead, and the sooner it is completed the better it will be for everyone. Originally I questioned the size and scope of the project and the actually possibility of completing a golf course by 2011, a date still on Greg Norman's website, in light of the economic downturn. I was never against the ASP as long as the conditions set by the council were met, but they have long since been amended! :skippingsheep:
Robin Hood

Post by Robin Hood »

Reading the posts by Nebula and Shankari2, it seems to me that you are both coming to the same point of view from different directions. Both your views are very knowledgeable and well informed; and I feel the same way. Whatever our opinions when the project was put forward originally, it is in the best interests of the Peachland, that this project succeeds. There may be some problems along the way; let us hope that they will be overcome. This project is not just about golf, it is about a vision of a larger community that is supported by the majority of the residents. In my mind, the time to question the project has passed; now is the time to hope the vision becomes a reality.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't; you're right.
Rjamer
Übergod

Post by Rjamer »

Robin Hood wrote:Reading the posts by Nebula and Shankari2, it seems to me that you are both coming to the same point of view from different directions. Both your views are very knowledgeable and well informed; and I feel the same way. Whatever our opinions when the project was put forward originally, it is in the best interests of the Peachland, that this project succeeds. There may be some problems along the way; let us hope that they will be overcome. This project is not just about golf, it is about a vision of a larger community that is supported by the majority of the residents. In my mind, the time to question the project has passed; now is the time to hope the vision becomes a reality.

Would liens be considered as a problem ??
Giants Head
Fledgling

Post by Giants Head »

I was speaking to a contractor last week who did alot of work on this golf course and has not been paid. He told me that himself and other contractors have lawyered up to try and get some of the money that they are owed. He told me that his chances of getting his money are slim because the owners are broke and they have huge outstanding debts. This is common knowledge amongst earth moving contractors in this area.
Rjamer
Übergod

Post by Rjamer »

Giants Head wrote:I was speaking to a contractor last week who did alot of work on this golf course and has not been paid. He told me that himself and other contractors have lawyered up to try and get some of the money that they are owed. He told me that his chances of getting his money are slim because the owners are broke and they have huge outstanding debts. This is common knowledge amongst earth moving contractors in this area.
More people than just the contractors have heard about the problems with this project.. If I were Greg Norman I would want my name removed from the sign as well..
artifact cat
Fledgling

Post by artifact cat »

the time to question the project has passed;

It is never too late to question the project as more time may make the whole situation much worse...

What happened to all the comments that are missing from previous posts?

Anyone.
Please email for picture and further information.

Return to “Central Okanagan”