Black Canyon Park

OKPeach

Black Canyon Park

Post by OKPeach »

Yesterday - on the 15th of April we saw a Conservation vehicle follow an off road bike to the entrance of Black Canyon Park on Sandberg Rd. The biker had already gotten his bike on the other side of the chain. There is a District of West Kelowna sign posted that says no motorized vehicles allowed in the park and that there is a $2,000 fine. Ouch. The officer called the RCMP as their vehicle came along later and then a tow truck was called. I am thinking - $2000 fine, ticket for driving an unlicensed vehicle and a tow charge, etc. We see others coming up Sandberg so it is going to be pricey if the authorities come around on a regular basis to check the park. I felt sorry for the guy if he had to pay fines but the sign is clearly visible and it is routinely ignored. Just thought I would put a caution out!
OKPeach

Re: Black Canyon Park

Post by OKPeach »

Picture of bylaw sign Sandberg Rd Smith Creek Area
Picture of bylaw sign Sandberg Rd Smith Creek Area
OKPeach

Post by OKPeach »

! neighbor took this picture - they couldn't believe their eyes. A little bike on a tow truck.
Attachments
A neighbor took this picture.
A neighbor took this picture.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

OKPeach wrote:! neighbor took this picture - they couldn't believe their eyes. A little bike on a tow truck.

why couldn't they believe their eyes?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
OKPeach

Post by OKPeach »

They said they had never seen a bike on a large tow truck. I hadn't either but guess that is the process - no license so they can't remove it themselves even if they had the means to load it onto something else. Not cheap!
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Right on, hope people start to get the drift that when signs are posted they are posted for a reason. I think this is just great Enforcement. Keep up the good work.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Where is Black Cayon park? Is that up in the smith creek area?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/index.aspx?page=487

At the end of Elliot, turn right on Sandburg. Looks like it is below the large Smith Creek clearing.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

OKPeach wrote:They said they had never seen a bike on a large tow truck. I hadn't either but guess that is the process - no license so they can't remove it themselves even if they had the means to load it onto something else. Not cheap!

That's how they tow a bike, I think sometimes they're strapped to a flatbed but those are more expensive to call in.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

As a resident of Sandberg Rd as well, it was fantastic to see some enforcement. I have personally witnessed dirt bikers/atv'ers riding over the gate and tearing up the trail next to the poor gentlemans house that sits next to it. I have also witnessed him coming out to talk to the riders and was met with profanity and dirt being spun at him.

I am in no way against dirt biking/atv'ing...I to use the trails for Mountain Biking and hiking...however, when people's property is being destroyed along with the ability to enjoy the quiet setting, things have gone to far.

I am so happy to see that they have taken away the chain gate and replaced with cement barriers. This was a great step in allowing us to once again enjoy our park.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

youhavegottobekidding wrote:Right on, hope people start to get the drift that when signs are posted they are posted for a reason.

LOL LOL LOL, right about the same time as hippos grow wings and fly.

Too much of "that doesn't mean me" attitude in this valley, for that to ever happen.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

If people are tearing down fences and ignoring signs,look at your neighbours first. They are the ones that most likely have the toys but don't want to load them on a truck or trailer because they think they can just ride from the house. No one is loading up bikes and toys only to drop them where it is illegal to do so. At least the responsible/informed riders are not.
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Logman is exactly right....it is people in our own neighborhood and close surrounding area that are creating the damage etc...I think the problem lies wherein that this neighborhood covers such a large area that we dont recognize who these people are....either way, the problem seems to be solved, on Sandberg rd. anyway....
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I am licensed and insured. Plain visible license plate. I am not trespassing or destroying creek beds. I often use the Smith Creek area to access the upper Carrot mountain/Hidden creek/Bartly road . If I am on private property I am not sure. From the maps I have looked at I don't think so. Never would i ride over a broken down fence. It was there for a reason. The lower smith creek area seems to be for the garbage dumping,kids riding , fire pit party crowd. All of it happening on private property.

Return to “Central Okanagan”