Lights at Butt Road and Hwy 97

masen
Fledgling

Re: Lights at Butt Road and Hwy 97

Post by masen »

If Brown Rd. and Elliot start to be developed more, then the Butt Rd., intersection at the Highway will be extremely busy and backed up, we need to have a meeting with the Dept of Highways to get this whole highway system fixed. They say our population is increasing over 2% per year as well as the Districts population. If this is so, we had better have a good long term plan. And I hope it is not just the developers leading the charge.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

[quote="aandjsmama"] Try living at Sonoma Pines, first you can"t get across Carrington, then you can't get through the light at the Hwy. AHHHHHHH!!!!!![/quote]

I guess you should have considered that BEFORE YOU BOUGHT. BUTT Rd traffic and Sonoma Pines problems belong to the WIB. As a prior poster stated: SIX cars can get through each light if the drivers are paying attention..If you're sitting there behind TEXTERS or DAYDREAMERS.. thats too bad. Traffic on the MAIN Highway has priority as it should. The much longer lines of traffic on that road are a bigger priority. Maybe the WIB will put an overpass in there by 2024.

In a similar situation in Santa Barbara CA. there is a sign that states the Cross traffic "light" only changes every 5-7 MINUTES and suggests using different route.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

occasional thoughts wrote:Maybe, nikonfan, you could become a fan of the facts; Highway 97 is utterly a provincial responsibility, and anything to do with Butt Road in that vicinity is wholly within Westbank First Nation purview. West Kelowna and Mayor Findlater have nothing to do with the highway or the Indian reserve.

I am fully aware that Findlater has nothing to do with the 97c and if you would read my post I said "if he could have his way" he would impose his traffic ideas like he wanted to change the speed on the highway to 60km per hour 2 years ago. Thank God he can't impose his crazy ideas onto 97c.
fluid power

Post by fluid power »

This whole issue has been a major thorn in my side since the day they started construction on the Canadian Tire/Home Depot. I don't know how the WFN/MOT could be so short sighted given all of the traffic snarls in Kelowna. Before that area was built-up would have been the perfect time to put in an overpass, now its too late. I thought from day one that the Butt Rd intersection should've been a over(or under)pass.

On a side note....
also think that the Ross Rd intersection should be closed down and right turn only should be allowed there. Businesses in that area are easily accessed from either Right-hand turn, Bartley Rd or Westlake Rd.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

fluid power wrote:This whole issue has been a major thorn in my side since the day they started construction on the Canadian Tire/Home Depot. I don't know how the WFN/MOT could be so short sighted given all of the traffic snarls in Kelowna. Before that area was built-up would have been the perfect time to put in an overpass, now its too late. I thought from day one that the Butt Rd intersection should've been a over(or under)pass.

On a side note....
also think that the Ross Rd intersection should be closed down and right turn only should be allowed there. Businesses in that area are easily accessed from either Right-hand turn, Bartley Rd or Westlake Rd.

It has certainly been a very bad bit of planning on the part of someone. That intersection has been there for a long time and was ok when we had the 2 big box stores and some houses and trailer parks. Now we have massive commercial development on both sides of the highway and hundreds of homes in Sanoma Pines together with the other 2 developments behind the golf course on Native land and many many more homes scheduled to be built and no sign of any let up on commercial development even though the occupancy rates seem poor. I cannot see anything sensible happening in the next few years to make things any better, i wish i could.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Sounds like this is a City Council issue? Which can then be brought forward from City Council to the Provincial Government?

I hope our City Council and the Provincial Government are able to work together to solve this problem.

I have a sneaking suspicion if we all believe it will, it will.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

GoStumpy wrote:Sounds like this is a City Council issue? Which can then be brought forward from City Council to the Provincial Government?

I hope our City Council and the Provincial Government are able to work together to solve this problem.

As the area in question is on WFN land I don't believe there is much the City Council can do about it.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

GoStumpy wrote:Sounds like this is a City Council issue? Which can then be brought forward from City Council to the Provincial Government?

Dash5 wrote:

As the area in question is on WFN land I don't believe there is much the City Council can do about it.

Then you are misinformed, my friend.

Who better to approach the WFN Band with a proposal, than our Mayor and City Council?

The WFN Band is a far better governing body than the majority of our citizens realize, they are fair, honest, and justified, and operate with high levels of efficiency, and integrity.

I hope our local government is exactly the same as our Westbank First Nations Government.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Dash5 wrote:

GoStumpy wrote:Then you are misinformed, my friend.

No, not in the least actually. You stated quite clearly that it is a "City Council" issue that can be brought forward to the provincial government. It is WFN land. The DWK has absolutely no say on what happens on WFN land. Any changes to the Butt Road intersection would have to be sorted out between the WFN and the Provincial government, has nothing to do with DWK City Council.

GoStumpy wrote:Who better to approach the WFN Band with a proposal, than our Mayor and City Council?

Oh sure, anyone can approach the WFN government with suggestions but it's not like DWK Mayor and council would have any sort of special pull with them or anything.

GoStumpy wrote:The WFN Band is a far better governing body than the majority of our citizens realize, they are fair, honest, and justified, and operate with high levels of efficiency, and integrity.

I hope our local government is exactly the same as our Westbank First Nations Government.

Sounds like a topic for a new thread to me, not really pertinent to this discussion.
Tradesman
Fledgling

Post by Tradesman »

the timing of the light should have nothing to do with the roundabout. Simply do not cross the intersection if you are going to block traffic like you would any other intersection. Extending the time on the green light should be done.
:)
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Send the MoT an email with your concerns. In the time most have taking to voice their complaint on this forum they could of found an email address and actually communicated with someone that can do something about it. Here. I'll get you started:

http://www.gov.bc.ca/tran/

Return to “Central Okanagan”