Hockeyville $$$ for a clock or sign

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Hockeyville $$$ for a clock or sign

Post by oneh2obabe »

Should be a no-brainer but. At least Goodwin has a head on his shoulders.

West Kelowna Council is expected to decide Tuesday what to do with $25,000 earned by the community during the 2012 Hockeyville competition.

It has come down to a choice between a new score clock and washroom upgrades for Jim Lind Arena or a new entrance sign to the Mount Boucherie Complex.

Earlier this year after concerns expressed by the community and Ministry of Transportation, council nixed a plan to spend the money on a new electronic highway sign at the corner of Bartley Road and Highway 97.

Further meetings with the Hockeyville Committee and comments from the public led to the latest options being brought forward.

In a report for council, Facilities Supervisor, Erin Goodwin, recommends the money go towards improvements inside Jim Lind Arena.

Goodwin says the new score clock would act as a prominent physical structure showcasing the success of West Kelowna's Hockeyville competition. It would feature a plaque or display recognizing that accomplishment.

With installation costs of just $15,000, Goodwin recommends the other $10,000 be used for washroom upgrades.

"Currently, neither project is included in the DWK 10 Year Capital Plan, however, both projects have been identified by staff as short term projects that would have required budget consideration by council," says Goodwin.

The projects could be completed over the summer and ready for unveiling when the arena is ready to re-open in August.

The second option is for an electronic sign at the entrance to the Mount Boucherie Complex.

"The sign would act as a welcoming landmark for the Mount Boucherie Complex and could provide an opportunity to generate additional revenue," says Goodwin.

"It is being proposed by the Hockeyville Committee and staff that revenue generated by the sign be used to help support local youth through the West Kelowna KidSport Chapter that currently is facilitated by the DWK Recreation Department."
Cost of the 14' X 11' sign is pegged at approximately $70,000 with the additional $45,000 to be funded through Future Expenditure Reserves.

Goodwin says one of the popular uses for the Hockeyville money through public feedback was to support local youth and youth programs, however, money from the Hockeyville competition is intended to be used towards improving facilities and not for programming.

"As a result, using the money as a bursary or purchasing sports equipment does not fall under this criteria," noted Goodwin.

"The first option includes improvements to Jim Lind Arena. However, option 2 is an idea that may help generate additional revenues for DWK that, in turn, could be distributed to assist local youth/programs."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#93340
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
showtime76

Re: Hockeyville $$$ for a clock or sign

Post by showtime76 »

With out a doubt it should go to clock/scoreboard and washrooms.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

"The first option includes improvements to Jim Lind Arena. However, option 2 is an idea that may help generate additional revenues for DWK that, in turn, could be distributed to assist local youth/programs."

Ya, why bother with something that could help generate additional revenue on an ongoing basis that could be actually be used to help fund programs that youth would actually benefit from.

If the bathrooms need upgrading they should be upgraded regardless.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dash5 wrote:
Ya, why bother with something that could help generate additional revenue on an ongoing basis that could be actually be used to help fund programs that youth would actually benefit from.

Highlighted the operative word. With the cost of the 14' X 11' sign pegged at approximately $70,000 with the additional $45,000 to be funded through Future Expenditure Reserves, how long before it pays for itself and start generating revenue?

Another point ... who is going to see the sign except for people living in the area and those attending the arena? Buses won't be running along Ross Road when the new exchange is built and traffic uses the highway so won't see the sign.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

If this goes towards the sign I will be really choked...come on people, have a brain.
I have spent countless hours at that rink, and in the time box.
FIX THE CLOCK.
I have spent even more time in the washroom...Good grief.
FIX THE BATHROOMS
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Catz wrote:If this goes towards the sign I will be really choked...come on people, have a brain.
FIX THE CLOCK.
FIX THE BATHROOMS

My point was that those are items that should be fixed regardless. I would prefer to see the Hockeyville money spent on something that might not otherwise have been done.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

And get the money from where? They have the money now.
To put a sign at at the complex is pointless...who is going to see it?????????

This is from Hockeyville.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

If the bathrooms need upgrading they should be upgraded regardless.[/quote]

Ya, why doing what the hockey people want...that sign will do do great when the clock won't work during
the hockey game, or the toilets are plugged again.

Hi...welcome to Jim Lind...home of the keep your own score, and bring your own porta pottie!
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

oneh2obabe wrote:With the cost of the 14' X 11' sign pegged at approximately $70,000 with the additional $45,000 to be funded through Future Expenditure Reserves, how long before it pays for itself and start generating revenue?

I have no idea but at least it has the potential to generate revenue, unlike simple building maintenance issues that should be done regardless.

oneh2obabe wrote:Another point ... who is going to see the sign except for people living in the area and those attending the arena? Buses won't be running along Ross Road when the new exchange is built and traffic uses the highway so won't see the sign.

Well it is true that a sign on the highway would certainly have been more effective (and preferable IMO), we all know where that idea ended up. A prominent sign at the facility however would be seen by anyone attending the Mt Boucherie complex as well as thousand or so students at MBSS on a daily basis in addition to people living inthe area and anyone just passing by.

I am not saying that this 'new' sign idea would be my first choice for how to spend the Hockeyville money, I just would prefer the money go to something other than what should already be covered by ongoing routine building maintenance projects. Putting it towards something that has a potential to generate revenue on an ongoing basis that could be used to help fund programs seems like something worth looking at rather than just dismissing offhand.

Personally I would have preferred a much more visible sign on the highway.
Last edited by Dash5 on Jun 11th, 2013, 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Catz wrote:And get the money from where? They have the money now.

Where would it have come from if there was no Hockeyville money? As for the washrooms, if the DWK is not providing adequate funding to carry out what is essentially routine building maintenance that seems to me like a bigger issue and should be taken up with them and not left to rely on winning TV contests.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Catz wrote:If this goes towards the sign I will be really choked...come on people, have a brain.
FIX THE CLOCK.
FIX THE BATHROOMS

Get the smelling salts - I agree with you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Turn it around. If the sign will make money, then why don't they build it using regular funds?

Hockeyville was for "arena improvements". Both the clock (which has failed mid-game once in while) and the bathroom improvements would fit that description.

Building a sign so you can shuffle money around that 'allowed use' list is poor taste.

In vernon, naming the arena "Kal Tire Place" is worth $40,000 per year. If sign rental is worth 1/4 of that (to which I don't know what its worth), it would take more than 7 years before it made any money.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

LordEd wrote:Turn it around. If the sign will make money, then why don't they build it using regular funds?

In my OPINION the DWK should be providing adequate funding for routine building maintenance, but something like a sign goes beyond what I would call routine maintenace. If revenue generated from building such a sign was intended to go back to DWK coffers then sure, by all means have them build it but I believe the idea was for youth programs to receive any potential revenue from a sign so I don't know that the DWK should be the sole source of funds to build it.

LordEd wrote:Hockeyville was for "arena improvements". Both the clock (which has failed mid-game once in while) and the bathroom improvements would fit that description.

The clock I could agree with as it would be a replacement of the old clock and thus would be an improvement but if the washrooms are as bad as claimed the DWK should be providing funding for that, Hockeyville or not.

To be honest I really couldn't care less what they spend it on so I'm not going to argue about it endlessly. I stated my opinion, I'm done now.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

In my opinion the funds from Hockeyville should be used to improve the facilities for both kids and other users of that rink.

Kraft Hockeyville wrote:The contest revolves around a central theme of community spirit, passion for hockey and Canada.
The winning community gets:
$100,000 dedicated to upgrading their local home arena
A Hockey Night in Canada broadcast in their community
An NHL pre-season game hosted in their community arena
The remaining communities in the Top 5 receive:
$25,000 dedicated to upgrading their local home arena
A Hockey Night in Canada broadcast in their community
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Clock gets my vote.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”