RDCO not permitting RCMP to enforce Dog Bylaw

Do you feel RDCO should permit the RCMP to enforce its dog bylaw overnight?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 22

western_star
Übergod

RDCO not permitting RCMP to enforce Dog Bylaw

Post by western_star »

Did you know that RDCO Dog Control does not work between 5pm - 8am and that RDCO will not permit the RCMP to enforce its dog bylaw but will allow the RCMP to enforce its Parks Bylaw which also includes dogs in parks. RDCO will also permit the RCMP to enforce all these other bylaws listed below. I am upset that RDCO will not permit the RCMP to enforce its dog bylaw against a dog barking overnight for instance. If you are upset about this like I am, can you please call and make your opinion known to RDCO Chief Admin Officer at (250) 763-4918

6. Regional District of Central Okanagan Regional Parks Regulation Bylaw No. 1105, 2005

7. Noise Control Bylaw No. 403, 1989

11. Regional District of Central Okanagan Business Licensing and Regulations Bylaw No. 689, 1996

13. Regional District of Central Okanagan Smoke Control Regulatory Bylaw No. 773, 1998

21. Regional District of Central Okanagan Community Parks Regulation Bylaw No. 1106, 2005

22. Regional District of Central Okanagan Fire Prevention and Regulation Bylaw No. 1066, 2004

25. Regional District of Central Okanagan Fireworks Prohibition & Regulation Bylaw No. 53, 1972

http://www.regionaldistrict.com/media/1 ... ndment.pdf

=======================

3. Dog Regulation and Impounding Bylaw No. 366, 1988
Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Dog Control Officer
Pound Keeper

5. Animal Control Bylaw No. 880, 2000

16. Regional District of Central Okanagan Prohibited Animal Bylaw No. 1028, 2003
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Re: RDCO not permitting RCMP to enforce Dog Bylaw

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

My opinion is that the RCMP have better things to do than answer call outs about dogs barking at night.
Their job is to protect the public from crime.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

My opinion is that the RCMP have better things to do than answer call outs about dogs barking at night.

Ditto.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:My opinion is that the RCMP have better things to do than answer call outs about dogs barking at night.

Agreed.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If it was allowed at the RCMP's discretion then I think it would be ok. They could drive by if in the area and make note of who's dog is creating a disturbance and then inform By-Law to do the rest. Or they could shoot the dog (with a tranquilizer)....you choose
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If shooting the dog - use food dye to identify the barker the next day.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I doubt very much RDCO does not 'permit' RCMP to enforce a bylaw. The regional district doesn't have the authority to tell the RCMP what to do.

The RCMP has far better things to do than deal with yappy dogs.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

will not permit the RCMP to enforce its dog bylaw but will allow the RCMP to enforce its Parks Bylaw which also includes dogs in parks
Read the bylaw (1106 I think) and you will note it also talks about destruction of property etc. -one reason RCMP will attend. RCMP don't have the resources to respond to complaints that can easily be referred to bylaw during normal working hours.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Whowuddathunkit.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Jay'sus Mary and Joseph ... the very last thing that the RCMP need is more duties piled onto them. They do not even have the resources needed to carry out all of the duties for which they are presently responsible. Move the by-law people to shifts to cover off hours.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Donald G wrote:Jay'sus Mary and Joseph ... the very last thing that the RCMP need is more duties piled onto them. They do not even have the resources needed to carry out all of the duties for which they are presently responsible. Move the by-law people to shifts to cover off hours.

The RCMP doesn't always have time to attend to dog calls but they can when they are not busy Sgt from Armstrong told me and he tried to talk to RDCO about enforcing their dog bylaw but RDCO won't let them. RDCO will let the RCMP enforce the Parks Bylaw in regards to dogs but since I live in a subdivision and the RCMP are on my side, RDCO will make sure that I don't get any help because they hate me for suggesting anything. Its all up to RDCO because they have the power and citizens don't count. I think RDCO should permit the RCMP to attend if they won't change their hours and work shift work. Shift work would help cut down on overtime hours for what is now called an emergency during off hours. They are earning over $50 for double time in an emergency.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To western_star ..

The words "do not have time to ... but can when they have time" have, in my opinion, caused the RCMP more grief over the years than any other combination of words ever used regarding duty expectations. Half of their additional work is the result of just such thinking. Do they have time or don't they have time? Are complainants regarding dogs willing to wait until the RCMP have time in their already overloaded work schedule to deal with their complaint? I doubt that very much. They simply get jumped on by the complainant through the media for dereliction of duty for "not having the time" to do more work. That way of thinking by an RCMP Management more interested in insuring that there are no untoward ripples in their own career, than looking after the mental and physical health of their overloaded officers, is what has caused the RCMP to be so overloaded ... because their unqualified Management is afraid to say no to anyone.

I note that "we have to do more with less" changed to "we have to think outside the box" and has now changed to "we have to work smarter". All great platitudes that sound good but are meaningless in terms of changing the RCMP work atmosphere.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Come on up to Vernon and see the performance out at Okanagan Landing at the beach there. Dogs are all over the beach and people complain to the RCMP who are out and riding around on their bicycles. The RCMP won't enforce the laws about dogs on the beach because "it's a city or regional district dog by-law and you'll have to contact the by-law officer about that". About the only thing they'll do is confiscate alcohol at the picnics in the park. Dogs in the water taking a dump? Sorry.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

bob vernon wrote:Come on up to Vernon and see the performance out at Okanagan Landing at the beach there. Dogs are all over the beach and people complain to the RCMP who are out and riding around on their bicycles. The RCMP won't enforce the laws about dogs on the beach because "it's a city or regional district dog by-law and you'll have to contact the by-law officer about that". About the only thing they'll do is confiscate alcohol at the picnics in the park. Dogs in the water taking a dump? Sorry.

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity, but do dogs actually poop IN the water at your beach? I've never seen this happen at the Kelowna dog beach and it's one of the reasons I prefer to swim there, rather than the crowded public beaches with discarded diapers in the water.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Nebula wrote:I doubt very much RDCO does not 'permit' RCMP to enforce a bylaw. The regional district doesn't have the authority to tell the RCMP what to do.

The RCMP has far better things to do than deal with yappy dogs.

The RCMP have told me they would be willing to enforce the barking dog bylaw but RDCO will not let them. RDCO will let the RCMP enforce its parks bylaw in regards to dogs. Why won't RDCO allow the RCMP to enforce its dog bylaw if the RCMP are not busy?

Return to “Central Okanagan”