RDCO not permitting RCMP to enforce Dog Bylaw

Do you feel RDCO should permit the RCMP to enforce its dog bylaw overnight?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 22

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: RDCO not permitting RCMP to enforce Dog Bylaw

Post by Bsuds »

western_star wrote: if the RCMP are not busy?

Good luck with that! But they should be able to.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Bsuds wrote:
Good luck with that! But they should be able to.

Your right, the RCMP can come out because they did come catch a dog barking for 10 minutes and then RDCO would not ticket the offender after 20 complaints were made about the same two dogs that howl for 5 1/2 hours at a time. It was after the RCMP caught the dog barking that RDCO advised the RCMP that RDCO will not let the RCMP enforce the dog bylaw.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It seems job protection comes well before actually carrying out the job you are paid to do. The police do not have the time to deal with dogs, especially when non RCMP staff are actually being paid to do the job that the RCMP are being called on to do by default. Just like they are now expected to also be our front line Mental Health Act workers because Mental Health only works 9 to 5 monday to friday.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Donald G wrote:The police do not have the time to deal with dogs, especially when non RCMP staff are actually being paid to do the job that the RCMP are being called on to do by default.

I just finished saying that the RCMP may not have time each time someone calls, but if they are not busy they do have time to attend and have attended for me until RDCO shut them down.

Also I would like to point out that in some jurisdictions there are no RCMP on duty between 4am - 7am. I think that if there is a call to one of those jurisdictions RCMP from another location is called. For instance Armstrong, Falkland, Enderby are not on duty but Vernon will attend.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Fancy wrote: Read the bylaw (1106 I think) and you will note it also talks about destruction of property etc. -one reason RCMP will attend. RCMP don't have the resources to respond to complaints that can easily be referred to bylaw during normal working hours.

RCMP attended a rural residence to catch a barking dog which was not in a park, up until RDCO shut them down.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Donald G wrote:Move the by-law people to shifts to cover off hours.

I agree bylaw could work shift work.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

western_star wrote:RCMP attended a rural residence to catch a barking dog which was not in a park, up until RDCO shut them down.

Waste of police resources when bylaw officers are available.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

As far as the RDCO "permitting" the RCMP to respond to dog complaints they have NO say in the matter whatsoever. Every RCMP Officer holds Peace Officer status for all of Canada. They CAN enforce ANY law passed by a Federal, Provincial or Municipal Government ANYWHERE in Canada.

Whether they have time to do it, or choose to do it, is another thing entirely. Personally I would be hesitant to enforce laws or by-laws that others are hired to enforce. There is an old adage that if you do it once or twice people will then expect you to do it and criticize you for not doing it ... even though it is not your job.

That is what has happened with the entire Mental Health Field ... that now takes about 30% of police resources to carry out. While Mental Health restricts their hours to 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. And the police get criticized in the press if anything goes wrong. What a farce.
Last edited by Donald G on Nov 18th, 2013, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

IMPOUNDING dogs or other domestic animals is actually exempted in almost all Municipal/RCMP Contracts.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Donald G wrote:As far as the RDCO "permitting" the RCMP to respond to dog complaints they have not say in the matter whatsoever. Every RCMP Officer holds Peace Officer status for all of Canada. They CAN enforce ANY law passed by a Federal, Provincial or Municipal Government ANYWHERE in Canada.

The RCMP head told me that RDCO shut them down and won't let the RCMP enforce their dog bylaw.

The very first post in this thread shows you the bylaws that the RDCO will allow the RCMP to attend ... like the noise bylaw for instance. The noise bylaw is not the dog bylaw though... two separate bylaws. Dog problems are dealt with by the dog bylaw.

RDCO is drafting a new dog bylaw that was suppose to be brought forward at their Nov 14, 2013 meeting but it was not brought forward at that meeting. Maybe it will be at their next meeting Nov 25, 2013??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

western_star wrote:RDCO is drafting a new dog bylaw that was suppose to be brought forward at their Nov 14, 2013 meeting but it was not brought forward at that meeting. Maybe it will be at their next meeting Nov 25, 2013??

Any idea what the new bylaw would say?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Fancy wrote:Any idea what the new bylaw would say?

All I know is that a dog control consultant was hired for just over $30,000 back in 2012 and that the consultant has a dog resource committee working with him comprised of only a few people. I am not allowed to be involved. I am not permitted to email RDCO and letters I send are returned to me with refused written on them all except Freedom of Information requests.

Tamie Williams is the lady who's son was bitten by a pitbull that had a history with RDCO.
Attachments
rdco_dog_resource_group.jpg
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

I am not allowed to be involved. I am not allowed to email the RDCO.

I think the term they use to describe this issue is "frequent flyer". You probably drive them nuts.
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

Can't imagine why Tamie Williams would be involved, wasn't her story of events the night her son got bite full of holes and lies.

Return to “Central Okanagan”