Our Water

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Our Water

Post by Ken7 »

Whats' wrong with this picture? Three weeks ago this vessel was sunk on the shores on the Westside. It is still sunk, it is a 40 foot houseboat. What is it leaching into our water?

Very sad as there are people living 50 yards from it and appear to not care!

The white is the top of the houseboat, the remainder is under water.
Attachments
Google Earth photo of vessel.
Google Earth photo of vessel.
SUNK.JPG
Last edited by Ken7 on Jul 2nd, 2013, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Our Water

Post by kgcayenne »

In general, people have very little understanding of what can happen to our water distribution systems from situations like this. They turn their faucet on and water comes out; that's all they know. That, and how much their water bill is.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jo,

Will there be a story or do you need someone to write a letter to Editor before your team investigates this?

Just curious.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ken7 wrote:Jo,

Will there be a story or do you need someone to write a letter to Editor before your team investigates this?

Just curious.

Considering the News team does not read the forums then maybe you should e-mail them!

[email protected] I believe is the address.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Funny,

I was sent a message by Jo. They wish to do a story on this matter. I guess they do read these blogs, but they do not investigate unless they have someone who wishes to initiate the story.

Not sure where you have gotten your information.

As of Sunday July 7th, still sunk.....I think this is terrible!
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Thanks for sharing this (terrible) story Ken7. I'm going to send a note to our council/mayor as well to see what, if anything, they can or will do. I know the water is not their jurisdiction but all things considered I'm sure they would like to see the whole abandoned houseboat thing change as well.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I made a report to the Minister of Environment on June 12th, and I was assured they would look into this matter.

As of July 7, it is still contaminating our waterway, I have sent a email to the Ministers office asking what they are doing and if they are not responsible, please advise me who to send a email to.

I will post the reply, when I get one, if I do.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Here's the most recent photo. As you can see, they look at this wreck when they look outside..
Attachments
July 7,2013
July 7,2013
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Wow, this is actually pretty shocking that its just left there. What road would I see this from if I went out there
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Did Castanet ever cover this story
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Graphite wrote:Wow, this is actually pretty shocking that its just left there. What road would I see this from if I went out there

Click on Google earth photo... westside road. It should give you coordinates.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Just a quick update.

Still a sunken boat. I received a phone call about one week ago.

The Ministry of Environment who you report spills and other pollution too called me and left a phone message.

They do not have the money to remove the boat at their cost. They will therefore have to get a court order to have the boat removed.The member who called did not leave me a return number, and further did not provide me his name.

I think this Ministry needs help. Possibly financial help, maybe some real training, and some legal power.

My thoughts are is there should be no dragging of the heels. There should be powers in place to give 48 hour notice. Seizure powers to yank that boat out of the waters. Dry store it for 7 clear days and if the owners do not step forth to arrange removal payment costs, it then goes on public auction and the Ministry at least has a opportunity to recover costs.

Oh, and the fellow did tell me that "I HOPE SHE FLOATS" which is sitting near Rattlesnake Island is also on the list as they suspect it is letting black water flow into the lake. I can tell you, I Hope Sshe Floats has been sitting in that bay since last year and the deadbeats who put in into our water don't have the resources to drain their septic, if it has one!

I sent a email this am asking for a email indicating what has been done on my complaint and the members name and contact information.

This is just a joke.....Maybe if the MEDIA did a investigative report on these issues some action would be taken???

Thank you for taking the time to write. Due to the volume of incoming messages, this is an automated response to let you know that staff in the Conservation Officer Service, Ministry of Environment, have received your email. We will endeavour to reply to your email as soon as possible.

If this is an urgent matter regarding an environmental violation or a human-wildlife interaction where public safety is at risk, please contact the Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) 24 Hour Hotline at: 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) or #7277 on the TELUS Mobility Network.

Thank you,

Conservation Officer Service, Headquarters
Ministry of Environment
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

maybe you should call the local MLA? i am sure she would be more than happy to help out!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Logitack wrote:maybe you should call the local MLA? i am sure she would be more than happy to help out!

Excellent suggestion. If someone is having difficulty navigating the ministerial waters so to speak, the MLA's office would be a logical place to turn for help. It does sound like the MoE is being a little non-commital on just who is responsible for correcting this situation and what to do to keep it moving ahead, who better to light a fire under a bum or two than the local MLA ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

MOE is provincial, what about contacting Environment Canada's Dept of Fisheries and Oceans? They do have jurisdiction.

Reporting a Marine Pollution Incident

By law, all pollution or threats of pollution must be reported by vessels and OHF operators. Pursuant to the Pollutant Discharge Reporting Regulations, 1995, a report shall include the following information:
1.The identity of any ship and oil-handling facility;
2.The time and location of the discharge or estimated time and location of the probable discharge;
3.The nature of the discharge or probable discharge, including the type and quantity of pollutant involved;
4.In the case of a discharge, a description of the assistance and salvage measures employed; and,
5.Any other relevant information.

Below are regional contact numbers for reporting a marine pollution incident. In all regions, marine pollution incidents may also be reported by contacting a MCTS centre on VHF channel 16.
...snip...
Pacific

1-800-889-8852 (24 hours)
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Central Okanagan”