Traffic Lights.

What to do when faced by a flashing amber light at a intersection?

Poll ended at Aug 18th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Stop, then proceed with caution
8%
Slow and continue with caution
85%
Treat it like a four way stop
8%
Tell me, because I forgot!
No votes

Total votes: 13

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Traffic Lights.

Post by Ken7 »

Do you know for sure what each traffic light means?

I know I was on the Westside but today traffic was brought to a crawl why, a flashing amber light on the highway right by the Shell when proceeding towards Kelowna.

I slowed down and drove with caution though the interestion. A fellow yells at me from the right side and says
"Hey it's like a four way stop."

What is it to you, 95% of those I saw came to a complete stop and then proceeded. Yet, 99% of the drivers I see when faced with a solid amber accelerate and are on a red when half way through the interesection.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Traffic Lights.

Post by Nebula »

Flashing amber means proceed with caution.

I got stuck in the Elliott crawl today. Pretty much everyone (wrongly) was treating it as a four-way stop.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Well, the law says slow down and proceed with caution so that what I do. If it were a flashing red, then stop and proceed with caution, if all lights are flashing red, its a 4 way stop.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC MOTOR VEHICLE ACT Part 3 wrote:Flashing lights
131 (1) When rapid intermittent flashes of red light are exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal,

(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the flashes of red light must cause the vehicle to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk then before entering the intersection, and must not cause the vehicle to proceed until it is safe to do so, and
(b) a pedestrian facing the flashes of red light may proceed with caution across the roadway, in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
(2) When rapid intermittent flashes of red light are exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal
(i) must cause it to stop before entering the nearest marked crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, or if there is no marked crosswalk then before reaching the signal, and
(ii) may, after having caused the vehicle to stop, cause it to pass the signal and any crosswalk only if conditions of pedestrian traffic in the roadway or any crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal permit it to do so with safety, and
(b) a pedestrian may proceed across the roadway.
(3) When rapid intermittent flashes of yellow light are exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle facing the flashes of yellow light may cause it to enter the intersection and proceed only with caution, but must yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk, and
(b) a pedestrian facing the flashes of yellow light may proceed with caution across the roadway, in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
(4) When rapid intermittent flashes of yellow light are exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal may cause the vehicle to pass the signal only with caution, and must yield the right of way to pedestrians in the roadway or on any crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, and
(b) a pedestrian may proceed across the roadway with caution.
(5) When rapid intermittent flashes of green light are exhibited at an intersection or at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection or signal and facing the signal must cause it to approach the intersection or signal in such a manner that he or she is able to cause the vehicle to stop before reaching the signal or any crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal if a stop should become necessary, and must yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully in a crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal or in the intersection, and
(b) a pedestrian may proceed across the roadway with caution and at an intersection only in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

A 4 way stop is a flashing red.
A flashing amber is careful when crossing... busy intersection
Flashing green is just go.. it's a pedestrian crossing not activated.

Return to “Central Okanagan”