Why don't they just move them?

mexi cali
Guru

Why don't they just move them?

Post by mexi cali »

Ok. I know that there are a million reasons why this doesn't happen but I can't think of any good ones so I am looking to you the crew to tell me why when there is a vehicular situation such as the burning car at the intersection of Boucherie and 97 do they not control the blaze and then get the car the heck outta the way?

Same as in MVAs. In my opinion, the first priority should be to move the vehicles by whatever means necessary so as not to impede traffic for hours and miles. Unless there is a death, that should be priority one.

OK. Now, please tell where I am delusional and just plain stupid.

Go!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Why don't they just move them?????

Post by occasional thoughts »

There's not a tow truck at every intersection, on standby on the public purse ticket, waiting for such eventualities?

They're waiting for the car to cool down before removing it?

But seriously, and generally, I think too little attention is paid to removing traffic impediments after accidents.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

Well they have to at least remain where they are until the police can document and photograph everything.
JTGTI

Post by JTGTI »

This car was removed within a couple minutes of the tow truck arriving. This car was also well off the road on the shoulder. The only real impeding that I witnessed here was the rubber neckers slowing to gawk and stare.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Yes, apparently it was in the turn lane to get onto Boucherie and yes, the rubberneckers can certainly add to the problem but as for the urgency to remove vehicles from the major roadway, that doesn't seem to be the priority that I think that it should be.

It takes a short period of time for traffic to start to backup and as far as there not being tow trucks at the ready, I say not true.

They live for this sort of thing and would respond very quickly cause the competition is steep in that industry and getting the contract for this kind of work is lucrative in the long run.

And just in case an operator for one of these tow companies wants to tell me how it isn't really lucrative, I would of course respond with why then would your company go after the contract?

I still am puzzled by how innocuous situations result in hours of delays when it simply shouldn't.
JTGTI

Post by JTGTI »

Don't blame the tow truck drivers. RCMP call out tow companies on a contract or rotational basis. Also RCMP recently changed all their radio channels to digital so tow drivers are not able to scan anymore and get the jump on the traffic. Today the delay was the tow truck was stuck in rush hour traffic slowing to rubber neck the scene.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

JTGI. Your comments make sense and thank you for adding them. I do, however, agree with Mexicali. It seems to take too long to get incidents like this cleaned up. I recall a post from several years ago on a similar topic where the poster mentioned in the US, the investigation does not take nearly as long and wreckage is cleared very quickly. Watching that tow company show on speed network and that is the sense I got from there as well, they mention on a number of episodes that the police pressure them to get the job done ASAP.

And nope, I don't blame the tow drivers. I think the police take too long on their investigations. Sometimes it has to be - dude pulled out and was hit, witnesses support this, put the tape measure away and write him and tow the junk away. Done.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Except as I said in the event of death, the focus has to be to keep the traffic moving.

And I don't blame the tow truck drivers. They go where they're told to go and they should be allowed on the police frequency so they can get a jump on MVAs and the ensuing traffic.

I once asked a cop out of sheer frustration to get him and the guy he pulled over off of the old bridge just as they were entering Kelowna. The car was involved in a minor fender bender and was drivable but the cop insisted on getting out of his car and sauntering up to the guy and started to write it up.

The traffic was quickly backing up to the west and after a couple of us pointed out how stupid what he was doing was, he waved the guy off the bridge to the shoulder, about 100 feet from where he was stopped.

I have seen similar scenarios since and it makes me wonder why.

And you are correct; in the US, I have observed police working diligently to get vehicles off the road and out of the way so everyone else who isn't stupid can carry on.
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Why don't they just move them?

Post by Jo »

Try again without the personal attacks, people, and leave out the inappropriate language while you're at it.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Why don't they just move them?

Post by mexi cali »

Mine was definitely not an attack but OK, for the sake of argument, apologies.

Return to “Central Okanagan”