New Nancee way underpass a waste of taxpayers money.

dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: New Nancee way underpass a waste of taxpayers money.

Post by dodgerdodge »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
I guess those memories don't account for the fact that back then much of the West Kelowna area was still farmland, there was no McDonalds, no Coquihalla Connector, no malls and seniors communities on every corner, and the population was half or less to what it is now.

I think that's called selective memory to support a weak argument.

I know for a fact I lost so much time driving from Westbank to downtown multiple times a day, that I moved across the Lake, and that was back in about 91, so don't be telling stories about how great and easy it was to get around back then.

I never mentioned how great it was or that i was referring to a bygone era before the connector was built. I was stating facts regarding 6 years ago when i used to commute daily into Kelowna. The number of commuting lanes into Kelowna during morning rush have not changed....Period!
Yes if you travelled back and forth during day it was a pain and if a tall boat came through it was a nightmare but i wasn't talking about that, just the morning rush commute.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Yes if you travelled back and forth during day it was a pain and if a tall boat came through it was a nightmare but i wasn't talking about that, just the morning rush commute.

Morning rush commute before was backed up bridge hill... Now there is absolutely never a backup, perhaps moving at the speed limit or under on the bridge, but no more waiting in stop & go traffic all the way up bridge hill. I call that an improvement.

As well, it got worse all day long and if they had to open the bridge right before a long weekend (Like today), it backed up all the way to Gellatly.

What was worse, was heading to the westside. Remember it backing up to Gordon Drive EVERY SINGLE DAY? I do. The best days are when you only got stopped at Richter. If the traffic was stopped at Gordon, you'd have to take the back-way, right?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the new bridge, and westside road interchange, are GREAT uses of taxpayers money, and the underpass is a part of a bigger picture most people don't understand.

/thread
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

GoStumpy wrote:Morning rush commute before was backed up bridge hill... Now there is absolutely never a backup, perhaps moving at the speed limit or under on the bridge, but no more waiting in stop & go traffic all the way up bridge hill.

Then you must be travelling at a totally different time to me. Wait till schools and uni are back and we will be backed up from Abbot to the new underpass as we were many times until schools were out then it eased off. I leave Westlake Hudson area at around 8am but not going into Kelowna EVERY day just most. Of course its not so much the bridge its the damn lights the other end.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

GoStumpy wrote:Thought of something driving home today through the underpass...

HEAVEN FORBID THEY ACTUALLY PLANNED FOR THE FUTURE!!!

The underpass isn't necessary NOW, but it sure will be when the rest of the land around there is developed! And why not build the underpass now instead of later?

Build it when it is needed makes a hell of a lot more sense. It's a useless/duplicated entity.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

GoStumpy wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the new bridge, and westside road interchange, are GREAT uses of taxpayers money, and the underpass is a part of a bigger picture most people don't understand.

Bridge - good. Westside interchange - good (I still maintain the developer for mall should of kicked some cash in for it). Underpass -what don't we understand?? MoT stated no plans to link Boucherie/Horizon.

As it stands right now, there is no apparent reason for the underpass so I view it as a waste of money.

If a fair deal/exchange could be negotiated, I would like to see the hwy widened all the way to horizon for west bound traffic.
jutt

Post by jutt »

The underpass is complete waste of taxpayers money. Good on WFN and the Developer to get free money out of the Liberal government, for being such idiots and doing all the side deals behind the general publics back. I guess that back fired in their face. And now the government is saying that it doesn't have any money to build new overpasses for 10 years because the Westside overpass cost to much money. So their are no plans for the boucherie and horizon rd overpass. Also I heard through the grapevine the business on boucherie and lakeview market will not support a overpass at the location. WFN had promised the business's in the new mall that it would have a certain number of traffic flow coming to the new mall, which never panned out. So WFN are trying to push horizon and boucherie rd straight in the mall, so they can utilize the mall to its potential. So their are more side deals being done with Chief Louie and the government. This will again be winning situation for WFN and the tax payers getting screwed again by the provincial government.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

jutt wrote: So WFN are trying to push horizon and boucherie rd straight in the mall, so they can utilize the mall to its potential.

Yes a plan that makes complete sense, not to mention negates the need for any improvement expenditures at Boucherie/Horizon and Hwy97.

Why spend money on improving an intersection when it can simply be removed at far less cost, and take a light away from Hwy97 in the process.

What you're calling "side deals" strikes me as more of an example of prudent planning for the future.

Then again regardless of what they do there will be some who continue to gripe.

The government is out of money because they've been spending money on improving traffic in the Okanagan left right and centre. Where have you been?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Then again regardless of what they do there will be some who continue to gripe.

The government is out of money because they've been spending money on improving traffic in the Okanagan left right and centre. Where have you been?

I'm glad you said "improving traffic" and not "improving traffic flow"
Yes they have spent huge sums of money but have they got it right? have they really and truly planned for a future time when traffic volumes significantly increase during an average week let alone tourist season?
Not changing the road at all in Peachland and adding more lights does only one thing, it impedes traffic flow. Every traffic light impedes traffic flow, every additional left turn signal adds further wait times for all highway traffic and there are more to come.
So far the only intersection to make any sense is the new overpass and this works just fine without the underpass too but i am all for it if it is genuinely planning for the future.
bobblehead

Post by bobblehead »

Even if there is a plan in place to link Boucherie an Horizon drive to the Nancee way it still doesn't make any sense. For Boucherie going into Kelowna you would not use Nancee Way you would simply drive a little further to the roundabout and use the existing access to the highway off of Westside road. As for Horizon drive without the underpass you would simply have used the existing Nancee way that tied into Westside Road. And if you think the land WFN is asking in return for the existing project was outrageous just think how much more they would be asking for to join Horizon and Boucherie to Westside road. Nancee way is only in place to encourage WFN commercial development.

Return to “Central Okanagan”