Billboards in W.Kelowna

watchkat
Übergod

Re: Billboards in W.Kelowna

Post by watchkat »

I've noticed Penticton and south toward Oliver by Jackson Trigs winery there are many "unleased" billboards. Seems Pattison advertises SaveON when they are not leased out.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

There are no billboards in any legal entity known as West Kelowna, only in the entity known as Westbank First Nation. Nor are there any in Tsawwassen or esp. Victoria. Get it right, put the responsibility where it belongs.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Just pull them down as they are an eyesore in every aspect. What a welcome to travelers as they descend to the bridge and the views those poor people above get rid of them.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I think it's a mess. Just wonder who pockets the money from renting those signs?

Bet the cash doesn't get back to general revenue or is divided amongst the landowners.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

1. Take note of the business names appearing on the billboards.
2. Contact these businesses and tell them you don't like them using this advertising medium.
3.Ask them to cease and desist.
4. Give them due notice that you will boycott their businesses if they choose not to cease and desist advertising there.
5. Follow through with your boycott.
6. Sit back and note how(in) effective your action was.
7. Be patient.
8. The billboard owner, should the process be successful, will not spend his money on removing the unused billboards.
9. The blank billboards will sit there for an eon, slowly rotting, but in the meantime they will continue to block our views of
the lake.
10. Is this a win -win or a lose-lose scenario?
Seems to me we are all whistling against the wind on this topic?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Ken7 wrote:I think it's a mess. Just wonder who pockets the money from renting those signs?

Bet the cash doesn't get back to general revenue or is divided amongst the landowners.

Probably a good guess that it's Derricksen. Seems to have a finger in every slice of the pie sitting on the Westbank Indian Band plate, and if I'm not mistaken before Pattison became involved, the billboards had Derricksen on them.

Not sure how the band land thing works, do individual members even own their own plot of land, or does the band own it all?

My speculation is some dirt cheap arrangement to place the billboards was made eons ago, and more than likely not in the land owners favour.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

Perhaps if we boycotted everything Pattison owns it might have an effect, and not just here.
Bumblebuns
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I always wondered how come there's only one digital billboard in West Kelowna...and what one has to do to build another one.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

inquisitive wrote:6. Sit back and note how(in) effective your action was.

Probably as effective as gas boycotts.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Everything about the billboards is legitimate. What we are suffering through is a severe case of bad taste - that of blocking our views of the beautiful Lakeland scenery. The topic of a remedy never ends.
Another avenue open to we, the objectors, is perhaps a campaign against the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce, challenging them to bow to the court of public opinion and shame their advertising members into listening to the justifiable criticism we are all voicing (ineffective as it has thus far proven to be), to end their advertising rental contracts or letting them expire - JUST AS OUR WORTHY MP DID when he could no longer stand the criticism he was receiving by his huge billboard, really paid for by you and I as tax-payers if truth be known.
Let the Chamber be our voice of objection to its advertising members - a change from only being the voice of the business community. We, the objectors, are amongst the huge number of customers and clients of these businesses, who have turned a deaf ear when continuing to exploit this obviously low-cost method of advertising, and they are not listening to us
so far.
We customers and clients are contributing to their financial success by our custom. Perhaps, as we continue to use the goods and services of these advertisers we could, whilst making our purchases, convey our objections to the managers of these establishments?
It is possible that these two suggested methods of action might prove to be successful, and then we would have to appeal to the landlord to do the right thing by ridding us of the unsightly and by then unwanted structures to completely reveal the beauty of the lakeshore, to not only regular commuters but also to our valued visitors.
Oh! One more thought! Let us support with all our might the establishment of a second and competing lake crossing, ensuring by legislation that the approaches can never be utilised as a medium for objectionable and scene-blocking structures? Or did the First Nations already exert their influence successfully by having the approaches pass through their land?
HMMMMM?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Here's a list of what you will need Cap'n:
- extension cord
- a whack of light bulbs, lots avialable at Christmas time on your neighbors homes.
- probably some zip ties
- duct tape. every project includes duct tape, little unknown fact, NASA gives every astronaut a free roll of duct tape when they retire....and a watch.
- power bar
- Clif bar. power bar is to plug into, the Clif bar is a nice, energizing snack
- cordless drill
- and somebody smart to figure out how to time sequences and what not.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Probably a good guess that it's Derricksen. Seems to have a finger in every slice of the pie sitting on the Westbank Indian Band plate, and if I'm not mistaken before Pattison became involved, the billboards had Derricksen on them.

Not sure how the band land thing works, do individual members even own their own plot of land, or does the band own it all?

My speculation is some dirt cheap arrangement to place the billboards was made eons ago, and more than likely not in the land owners favour.

You are likely correct. I'll put a case of beer on it the BAND who owns this land does not see a penny of the lease money. That is sad, as each and every land owner ( Band Member ) owns that land, why would they not question this ??
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

It is possible that these two suggested methods of action might prove to be successful, and then we would have to appeal to the landlord to do the right thing by ridding us of the unsightly and by then unwanted structures to completely reveal the beauty of the lakeshore, to not only regular commuters but also to our valued visitors.

A chainsaw at 3am would solve the problem...

Return to “Central Okanagan”