Billboards in W.Kelowna

shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Billboards in W.Kelowna

Post by shoo »

I noticed that there are quite a few empty billboards along the highway. Is this a lease turnover or businesses that have opted out of advertising this way?
watchkat
Übergod

Re: Billboards in W.Kelowna

Post by watchkat »

Perhaps they have run their course........that is to say overkill has negated the value of using them.
They are not cheap for the clients and with the increase in traffic and new exits, etc who has time to read them.
I vaguely remember Kathy York, Kimmel and co., Eric Hass?, Tim Hortons and don't need billboards to use or remember them.
It doesn't make me any more likely to call them.
In this day of internet searches it is where most look for services, not while driving down the highway avoiding lane changers, etc.
Even if you see them, there is no time to write down address or phone number and so for the expense it just isn't worth it in my opinion. The flip side is that with all the visual pollution they cause to an otherwise nice area, how many people refuse to use theses advertisers because they are polluting the area.
fastfreddie
Fledgling

Post by fastfreddie »

I noticed they were putting up some more new ones the other day by bridge hill.
It's not the color of your skin that matters,it's the color of your blood.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

We personally try to avoid companies that "pollute" the area with billboards
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Yeah, I noticed that too the other day, half of them were empty. These billboards are just in the perfect place NOT to be seen. Right in the one curve LOL. Anyways, there's 3x too many all at the same spot anyways.

Well, you "see" them, but who really look at what's on them?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Below the main part of billboard is the company that owns the billboard, large amount of them are from Jim Pattison Group.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

The problem i see is that the empty billboards are a whole lot more ugly to look at than the ones with advertising on and unless the owners pull them down, which aint gonna happen, they remain an even bigger eyesore!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Leave the billboards up. It stops the tourists from taking their eyes off the road.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dodgerdodge wrote:The problem i see is that the empty billboards are a whole lot more ugly to look at than the ones with advertising on and unless the owners pull them down, which aint gonna happen, they remain an even bigger eyesore!

Would you spend money on one if you had a business? You can't keep up to them when driving, I think it's money thrown away!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It's expensive advertising and I don't believe that it's all that effective.

I keep meaning to call up one of the companies who are advertising and ask them how effective it is.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Billboards can be effective in advertising, they would fill more of a branding part of it though. If a business wants more of a call to action, call now type of thing, billboards are not the ticket.

When you drive by them, sometimes daily, their brand will become familiar to you and then when they run a call to action campaign you will have less resistance to it, as you're already familiar somewhat with the brand. I would consider this type of media if I had a $4000 a month budget or more, this way my call to action ads will be more effective on all those who see my branding(billboard).

If all you have to advertise is $3000 per month and less. DON'T DO BILLBOARDS SILLY. My opinion of course, but 30 years in the biz says, don't.

Anyway thats the theory. As far as costs goes I believe some go for around $1200-$1500 per month plus at least that much to create it and put it up.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

westbankkid wrote:We personally try to avoid companies that "pollute" the area with billboards

I'm with you, That digital display billboard is the worst. I make a point of not looking at the ad on it. Do one better and write the advertisers a letter telling them why you won't be visiting their businesses.
On a different forum
vancity604
Fledgling

Post by vancity604 »

Those billboards give such a hick town style feeling so greeaaaassssyyyy
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Reminds me of Tsawwassen or Victoria.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
nicouds

Post by nicouds »

Have you noticed that a number of billboards on the North side of the band office have recently been taken down, perhaps a sign that the private hospital scheduled for this area may be soon going ahead. Perhaps a condition of the financiers of the project was the removal of the billboards between the hospital and the lake! Its a nice thought, anyway.

Return to “Central Okanagan”