Running Across the Highway

Rascie

Running Across the Highway

Post by Rascie »

Hmm... it should go without saying, but come on, don't run across the highway!

Today, on our way to Westbank, a woman with sandals and a skirt was almost killed right in front of us. At the intersection of Highway 97 and Ross Road in West Kelowna, the woman ran right in front of cars moving over 80 km/h, when her light was red. Once she made it to the center, after cars went skidding to avoid her, she CONTINUED to run in front of the other set of lanes, coming within MILLIMETERS of a trucks bumper, as it went skidding off to the side honking its horn. Once she reached the other side of the highway, looking at the light at the end of the tunnel along the way, she simply turned around and glared at the cars which honked at her as they went careening off the road to avoid her. WHAT?

I see too many people doing something similar to this, however I have NEVER seen anyone this close to being killed. I am not lying when I say within Millimeters. And just think about how the driver would have felt! The moral of the story is - don't go running across the highway, please.
Sweetjjp

Re: Running Across the Highway

Post by Sweetjjp »

I so agree with you! And to be in that area where there are lights to wait and go across safely. I am sure that if she paid attention she would have seen the flowers in the middle there for someone who had already died in a MVA.

But there are areas on this part of the highway that should have a overpass for people to walk across safely. IE being Grizzly Rd.. over where the new Tim Horton's is.. To have people walk all the way down to the lights is crazy. But it is ok to make people happy in cars so they don't have to sit more than a minute in traffic.

I am not one of these people who have to cross here, but it scares me when I drive by and wait to see them cross, either by themselves or with a stroller. Just so they can catch a bus or go to the store.

So lets hear the complaints with this. But I think that it is about time we have more safe ways for people to cross then run the risk of getting killed!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sweetjjp wrote:But I think that it is about time we have more safe ways for people to cross then run the risk of getting killed!

Considering this was in close proximity to an intersection and traffic lights (?), can't get safer than that. Tunnels can collapse as can overpasses.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
31416ness

Post by 31416ness »

There will always be people too lazy or too stupid to get across roads in a safe way. In my home city there were plenty of pedestrian overpasses and still people would cross the highway right next to them. It was so bad that the city had to approve a law where if somebody is hit by a car by inappropriately crossing the roads within 100 meters of an overpass or controlled intersection it would be considered attempted suicide and zero fault to the driver.
Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose. (Robin Williams)
masen
Fledgling

Post by masen »

People who do this should be fined for dangerous walking. She could easily have killed someone. I hope someone stopped and got her name and reported her to the police. It could prevent a future accident.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

i got me one of those big cow catcher type bumpers for this very same reason
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

masen wrote:People who do this should be fined for dangerous walking. She could easily have killed someone. I hope someone stopped and got her name and reported her to the police. It could prevent a future accident.

Yup, most likely would have killed herself.

Would you give your name to someone if you did something really stupid?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I honestly feel no sympathy for people who get killed doing things like this. The person who hits them is the only one getting any sympathy, I'm sure there'll be an awful mess on their bumper.

Bsuds wrote:Would you give your name to someone if you did something really stupid?

From the sounds of it, she seemed to think she was completely in the right.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Maybe she had a sudden urge to play frogger?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Sometimes human splat raises the level of the gene pool.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

underscore wrote:
From the sounds of it, she seemed to think she was completely in the right.

I suspect she was high on something or really, really stupid.
Rascie

Post by Rascie »

I suspect she was high on something or really, really stupid.

She didn't appear to be high. She actually looked like an intelligent professional woman until she began running in front of cars! Then my impression quickly changed... lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You might be surprised the number of "Intelligent Professionals" that use drugs.
Rascie

Post by Rascie »

Bsuds wrote:You might be surprised the number of "Intelligent Professionals" that use drugs.

You nailed it! How else can you afford them?
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

have you guys seen wolf of wall street? Its the blow that makes us successful

Return to “Central Okanagan”