Gellatley Boat Launch - August 7, 2013

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Gellatley Boat Launch - August 7, 2013

Post by Treblehook »

They're back!! Yesterday there were two boats tied up, occupying two of the three docking areas, all day long. Is this a problem? You bet, since anyone launching or loading their boat needs to have some place to tie their boat while they park or retrieve their trailer for launching or loading. Any village idiot could figure that out, so there seems to be no explanation for the inconsiderate behavior of these two boat operators who monopolized those two docks but pure ignorance. We left a note in each boat, expressing our sentiments about their actions, but people of that ilk are seldom influenced by such communications. One boater, inconvenienced by this event suggested the next time this happens, the offending boat should simply be towed out into the middle of the lake and set adrift. I don't think I would go that far but......
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Gellatley Boat Launch - August 7, 2013

Post by Fancy »

Did you get their serial numbers? Glad you left a note because someone else may not be that considerate and do something drastic.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Is there a By-law about doing that and could they be ticketed?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Fancy wrote:Did you get their serial numbers? Glad you left a note because someone else may not be that considerate and do something drastic.

Neither boat appeared to have registration numbers displayed on the hulls. Don't know about any bylaw dealing with how long one can leave a boat tied up at the floats. Seems pretty bad when there needs to be a bylaw to regulate that kind of behavior.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

If the boats do not have a registration number displayed, is that not the same as leaving a car on the side of the road with no plates? RCMP would have it towed.

Call the RCMP and let them know of an unregistered boat, tied to the dock and apparently abandoned. I don't think they will run down immediately, but I am sure they would send a car by and if it is still there they may deal with it.
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Well this is how it will go...... sooner or later DWK will charge to launch ? And that will cover the cost of a supervisor- attendant to take the money and monitor the area... IF idiots continue to abuse the system that is what will happen...

Also EVERY boat has to display the registration :( from Transport Canada)
Regulations require you display the Pleasure Craft License on both sides of the bow, above the waterline and as far forward as is practical. The numbers and letters must be in block and at least 7.5 cm (3”) high

So next time record those numbers and forward to ??? hmmmm the mayor of the village idiot boaters society I guess? ??????

It is very entertaining at the launch area every day.... I think part of the Boaters License should be a day of parking lot training on HOW to back up a trailer !!!!
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

That launch is a mess no matter how much lipstick they put on it.
No parking,$15.00 to pay park(if its not full)& pay to launch is coming for sure.
I've gone down as far as Gallatley Nut Farm to find a spot and nothing.

I sold my (b)ring(o)n(a)nother(t)housand.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

polelady wrote:Also EVERY boat has to display the registration :( from Transport Canada)
Regulations require you display Pleasure Craft Licenese on both sides of the bow, above the waterline and as far forward as is practical. The numbers and letters must be in block and at least 7.5 cm (3”) high

So next time record those numbers and forward to ??? hmmmm the mayor of the village idiot boaters society I guess? ??????

Poster said that both boats did not have registration numbers. I have seen many boats out on the lake with no registration numbers. Pretty tough to record something that is not there. That is why I suggested to call the RCMP, same as an unregistered car on the side of the road.

BTW its not a "Pleasure Craft License" (that is what you get to operate a boat), its the federal registration numbers, that stay with the boat, for its entire life.
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Perhaps someone should bring some chain and a few cheap locks... and if the boats are tied up for say longer than 1 hr which is even to much time to park and so on.. run the chain and pad lock to the dock and call the RCMP - Boat Squad.. as they do patrol and will attend to the NO REGISTRATION numbers thing... which should be a ticket BIG ONE and a tow the boat thing... I mean that is the law.... to have registration numbers on all water craft..
Oh well the boat launch will some day soon be a pay to launch and then we will see the crying towels come OUT...
All the fun of a long weekend.. !!!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I thought there were signs saying that moorage is temporary at those docks?

I kinda like the idea of towing them out to sea though. It would be kinda funny. For a minute anyhow.

Imagine the looks on the faces of the owners when they came back.

There is a small possibility though that maybe something happened to a person associated with them and they had to leave them to attend to an injury or whatever? A stretch maybe but a possibility. we don't always know what is happening in the lives of others.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Central Okanagan”