Do you shop local?

matai
Banned

Do you shop local?

Post by matai »

If so, why?
If so not, why not and where do you go instead?

(Please NO negative specific business review)
Last edited by matai on Aug 23rd, 2013, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logman
Übergod

Re: Do you shop local?

Post by logman »

Yes. Unless I need some crazy groceries from Wesbank.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Yes, I do shop locally as much as possible. Reason why to support local businesses.

Bank locally as well by using Interior Savings & Credit Union.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Mathieu, I truly believe we have to define "LOCAL". For some folks local means the community they live in, ie: Kelowna, Vernon, WK, Penticton. For others though "LOCAL" means the valley. I've talked to folks who shop from Penticton to Kelowna to Vernon and they honestly believe they are shopping local because they are not going to Vancouver, Seattle, Omak, Spokane or Calgary. Have friends in Naramata who will not shop their local general store but say they are shopping local because they shop Penticton. I also don't believe there is such a thing as local loyalty. Folks will shop where it is most convenient and where they will save the most money plain and simple.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I go to a local Superstore and Costco, does that count?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We usually don't shop and it shows. Because when we do, it's like tsunami of spending ie debit and credit cards really can smoke from over use. Case in point: the last two days have been especially prolific for shopping bags. Contrary to popular opinion that I live here.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bettyb
Fledgling

Post by Bettyb »

Supporting big box stores is not shopping local
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

We do in most cases stick to Kelowna.

When you consider fuel, and your time even Costco is a waste of my time. The only way it ,may pay is if you purchase $600.00 of goods.

Do the math some dya paying yourself $10.00 per hour. The average 5-10 bags of goods you save nothing after fighting through the linesups and your time spent driving there and shopping.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Truthfully, I guess I'm a mixed shopper. Price is a factor for me as with a lot of people, and although I will spend a little more at times to support local, small, independant businesses it doesn't escape my notice that it is more expensive to shop that way in most instances. It's a treat to find outlets for local products at competitive prices, and those businesses quickly become a regular stop on my route. It hurts to see the indies fall to the big box strategy, I was just reading an article about the closure a few years back of one of my regular stops in Vancouver, an out-of-the-way magazine store on lower Commercial Drive called the "Magpie Magazine Gallery" which fell prey to the likes of Chapters and Amazon. It is a harsh reality that it's tough for a small operation to compete with the economies of scale available to the big guys, and that is usually reflected in higher prices at the less efficient, smaller stores. I guess in the end it will be up to us as to whether or not these places survive.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

fluffy wrote:Truthfully, I guess I'm a mixed shopper. Price is a factor for me as with a lot of people, and although I will spend a little more at times to support local, small, independant businesses it doesn't escape my notice that it is more expensive to shop that way in most instances. It's a treat to find outlets for local products at competitive prices, and those businesses quickly become a regular stop on my route. It hurts to see the indies fall to the big box strategy, I was just reading an article about the closure a few years back of one of my regular stops in Vancouver, an out-of-the-way magazine store on lower Commercial Drive called the "Magpie Magazine Gallery" which fell prey to the likes of Chapters and Amazon. It is a harsh reality that it's tough for a small operation to compete with the economies of scale available to the big guys, and that is usually reflected in higher prices at the less efficient, smaller stores. I guess in the end it will be up to us as to whether or not these places survive.

That is the thing about it for local independent stores/businesses.
Big box stores or large multi-nationals can buy in large bulk orders and in doing so get huge discounts, so of course their price is going to be lower.
Yes, I may pay more for items because I chose to support the local independent stores. That is my chose to make.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We shopped at some speciality stores yesterday, know what the owner said while I'm buy two pairs of discounted items? "I could sell these on Ebay and make more money."

Yup. No kidding. But I could stay home too and not shop local and spend all day on the 'net shopping. But I couldn't try them on and couldn't get a feel for the fabric and etc. So who wins?

No way in blank could I afford things not on sale in her store, but hey! I'm glad to swoop in at a lower selection and buy up what I can when I can.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

No because the prices are a rip off and the customer service is awful!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

southy wrote:Mathieu, I truly believe we have to define "LOCAL". For some folks local means the community they live in, For others though "LOCAL" means the valley. I've talked to folks who shop from Penticton to Kelowna to Vernon and they honestly believe they are shopping local because they are not going to Vancouver, Seattle, Omak, Spokane or Calgary.

By shopping local I mean encouraging local businesses (from your very own local municipality). Big box store are excluded from "local", at the exception of grocery stores, if they do business where you live, of course.

Hum, some other words to be more concise...

Local = Where you live
Regional = The Okanagan
Provincial = BC
Interprovincial = Within Canada
International = USA
Online = Wherever your mouse finds cheese
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

mathieu wrote: excluded from "local", at the exception of grocery stores

No need to just shop here http://lakeview-market.com/index.html
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

mathieu wrote: excluded from "local", at the exception of grocery stores

GordonH wrote:No need to just shop here http://lakeview-market.com/index.html

That's where I shopped when I lived on Pandosy.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Central Okanagan”