Do you shop local?

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Do you shop local?

Post by XT225 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
If money doesn't matter to you, you're welcome to send me a check for the difference between local and non-local stuff. I promise to send you updates on the use of money. You'll help local farmers, and the difference to your monthly budget isn't that much.

Any takers?

I never said that money doesn't matter to me but what matters more is keeping jobs HERE for todays workforce and future generations. The difference in buying local or from Washington State is miniscule and its a satisfying feeling when you support local business. Since Washington Dairy products are a fair bit cheaper, its odd that they haven't made their way into our grocery stores yet; hopefully they won't, ever. Whats sad is that we are losing good Canadian manufacturing companies to third World countries. Its not just cheaper to buy but the quality is NOT there. In the long run, if a product lasts longer, it may initially cost more to purchase but its a better overall buy in the long run.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So other than some foods, what is made here that we would buy on a regular basis?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

XT225 wrote:The difference in buying local or from Washington State is miniscule and its a satisfying feeling when you support local business.

Yes, it is minuscule. So, why not send me a check for all the benefits you've described? It sounds like it's a good cause and everything, and the costs of buying everything locally isn't that much higher. I promise to buy everything locally, and give you a spreadsheet on the use of funds.

If you're happy to pay 10 cents more to buy local apples to benefit local producers, why not pay 10 cents for yourself and 10 cents for me to double all the benefits?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yes, it is minuscule. So, why not send me a check for all the benefits you've described? It sounds like it's a good cause and everything, and the costs of buying everything locally isn't that much higher. I promise to buy everything locally, and give you a spreadsheet on the use of funds.

If you're happy to pay 10 cents more to buy local apples to benefit local producers, why not pay 10 cents for yourself and 10 cents for me to double all the benefits?

I'm glad you agree that it IS miniscule. I can stomach paying 10 or 20 cents more, because I gain the satisfaction of knowing that it will help the local orchardist stay in business. If everyone buys out of Province goods, then the local growers are doomed. Imagine if everyone thought that way about B.C. Wines? They are REALLY catching on and thats a good thing! I buy what protects BC jobs for today and the future.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Actually if you buy direct from an Orchardist you will pay less than in the store and they will make more.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I buy from the packinghouse on Clement. I refuse to buy Washington apples. I never check the prices but it's generally under 5 bucks for a big bag of apples so I'm good with that. Plus they give the kids a free one.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Bsuds wrote:Actually if you buy direct from an Orchardist you will pay less than in the store and they will make more.

Not a bad idea....I like to support the local STORE, however if they are going to bring in out of country apples, they can go fishing...bypass the middleman and buy direct...the main thing is to support the local orchardist however we can.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Interesting.

With all the talk how people like to shop locally and spend all the extra money because it's so awesome for local farmers/widget makers/etc., nobody ever agrees to send me a check so I can join them in spreading all the goodness of local shopping. Not once somebody said - here's a check, this way you buy all the local stuff too, and we're helping.

To me that sounds like people just like to talk about their awesome world-changing consumer habits they have. Talk and feel morally superior to others. They're saving industries and local farmers with their spendings. But as soon as your offer them a chance to double up the great benefits by sending me a check so I can do the same - they clam up. Which indicates to me they're more interested in talking about it, than actually doing something.

Then again, that's all you see around here - people talking how much better they are than everyone else - in driving, in shopping locally, in raising kids, paying taxes, and saving the environment on Earth Day.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Why would anyone give you money especially when you have made it clear that the price is more important to you than supporting local business? If you are a local business than I will trade you money for your goods or services. Giving someone money isn't remotely related to supporting the local economy. Your comparison doesn't pan out.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

jennylives wrote:Giving someone money isn't remotely related to supporting the local economy. Your comparison doesn't pan out.

No, it's not about giving money.

Let's say you buy local apples and spend extra dollar (just an example) by doing so. Because you believe in helping farmers and you'd like to support the local economy.
I on the other hand buy whatever apples and spend $1 less than you - and thus not benefiting the local farmers.

So I say - send me $1 difference, and instead I'll buy the local apples - this way you'll double up your efforts of helping local farmers. The amount I'm spending doesn't change - because I'm still spending the same amount.

And it's not just apples, I'll upgrade all of my purchases from evil corporate stuff I get at Superstore and Costco to locally made items. And you pay the difference and help the farmers and local producers. I'll even provide the spreadsheets of the extra difference I have to pay to shop locally, you pay the difference, and everybody is happy - including local farmers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Buying local is great but time management is at a premium so convenience may outweigh good intentions of buying what should be available in the community.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

No, you won't buy the local products or you would already be doing that. It's not because you don't have the money. You aren't buying locally because you don't care as you have previously stated and that the only thing that matters is price. It isn't that much more expensive, that's just excuses.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

jennylives wrote:No, you won't buy the local products

Of course I will. If the only thing that stops me from buying local stuff is the price difference, and you're happy to provide this difference - heck, I'll buy everything locally. But I can start with just food. Receipts and spreadsheets with calculations will be enclosed to my invoice.

Here's your chance to truly benefit the local economy and help local farmers with minimum extra spending on your part.

What says you, Jenny? :) Or do you just like to talk about how you benefit local economy and feel morally superior to me? What a great consumer you are and how the likes of me are ruining mom-and-pop stores?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

If you care about creating a strong local economy you have to take action directly, not rely on others to. It is important to me and I will truly benefit the local economy with my cash in their pocket.

If you are really concerned about local and cheap then you should grow a garden. I save tons of money that way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm still trying to figure out how you won't starve buying only locally grown food?

Return to “Central Okanagan”