Do you shop local?

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Do you shop local?

Post by JLives »

Not only, just as much as possible. There's not a lot of pineapples grown around here.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'll take it as a "no", Jenny :)

I don't need your money, got my own. I just like to show how hypocritical these discussions are and how people are more focused on talking about making a difference and feeling superior than actually benefiting anybody. They like to feel like they're making a difference by spending extra money and talk about it in lengths, but as soon as you offer them a chance to double up the goodness, they're all about money as in "well, you should be spending your own money, not mine".

Carry on!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's not hypocritical to support a local economy but not want to pay someone else to do it and you are not showing anything but that it is not something that is important to you.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

I buy everything I need at the local thrift stores, and grow my own food. Life is good.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Here's one: we made something from scratch and felt quite good about it. No box for it to have come in, no shipping... wait, the ingredients had to come from somewhere. Oh crap, that's three damn trucks... Hmmm let's see here, if I get ten times the quantity of finished product, then it's not that bad, is it? Then again of you...

It can go on and on and on... Don't over-think it, do something; it might feel good.

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, ”Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

adapted from The Star Thrower, by Loren Eiseley (1907 – 1977)
Last edited by kgcayenne on Feb 11th, 2014, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

All the Apples we buy are grown in BC, in fact we stop at a great little place in Summerland whenever we are passing through:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Apple-Barn/266424363308

Selve-serve, honour system and open 24 hours. Best Apples ever!

(I have no affiliation to linked business)
On a different forum
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I do shop local, but the one thing some don't understand is that although you are buying from the local store....it doesn't hurt to ask them where they are buying their supplies, are THEY buying local?!.
One local sandwich shop was all about shopping local, until I found out they never did themselves. They never supported the local stores in buying ingredients but sure whined when they weren't being supported.

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Needed a couple items for the home on the w/e and decided to give my business to Home Hardware as both locations are locally owned. May of cost me a touch more than going to the american owned hardware store but whatever.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Steve-O wrote:Needed a couple items for the home on the w/e and decided to give my business to Home Hardware as both locations are locally owned. May of cost me a touch more than going to the american owned hardware store but whatever.

Both locations are not owned locally. The Springfield location is owned by a Pentictonite as is the West Kelowna location, the Hwy 33 location is local to Kelowna.
Home Hardware isn't the only Canadian Hardware store.

Rona Inc. is a Canadian distributor and retailer of hardware, home improvement and gardening products. Rona was founded in 1939.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Rona's Head Office is in Quebec, not exactly local.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Bsuds wrote:Rona's Head Office is in Quebec, not exactly local.

Home Hardware is headquartered in Ontario, not exactly local.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Curious, I wonder how many local supporters leave their cars at home and take transit every once in awhile, you know, to support "local"?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Is our transit company local?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jennylives wrote:Is our transit company local?

The operating contractors vary from community to community and can change every few years. For example, currently Penticton's operating contractor is local and Kelowna's is not, but that can change when the RFP gets put out to tender again, but that's just the operating contractor ... the real "bosses" are BC Transit (Victoria) and the local Government's as they're the one's who decide how to spend the money and create/axe jobs ... so yes, its "local".

I just find it interesting how far some people take this "local" thing. Yeah, I can understand buying apples from a local orchard or beef from a local rancher but when people start squabbling about businesses head offices despite the local location being locally owned and operated, it just reminds me of going out to a steakhouse with a vegan.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Anonymous123 wrote:Both locations are not owned locally.

Sure they are. They are locally owned and operated. I know the fella that owns one of the ones on the westside, he lives only a few minutes away from his store. You mention the one on Springfield is owned by someone out of Penticton. Penticton is local in my books. Like Canadian Tires, Home Hardwares are independently owned through some sort of franchise agreement. Ronas are corporate stores, although I don't know that for certain. Anyways, I'd still rather spend my money at a HH or CT than Home Depot.

Return to “Central Okanagan”