Westbank Community Hall On Fire!

BCfromBC

Re: Westbank Community Hall On Fire!

Post by BCfromBC »

If the hall has to be rebuilt, I would suggest a Community Hall on main level, and City Hall on subsequent levels as needed.
Possibly some retail on main level also.

From the pictures of the flames coming from the front door area, got my suspicions up.
The hall will be missed for sure !
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

dodgerdodge wrote:Passed by today and there were restoration company vehicles in there already! I have no idea what arrangements they had but thought that insurance assessors would have to check it all out first and then quotes would be put in for any remediation work followed by reconstruction or demolition.

watchkat wrote:That seems odd, if the RCMP are deeming it suspicious. I would think they would not allow anyone into the building until evidence and investigation is finished.
Who would have called in restoration company in there so quickly?

I think the restoration company would be involved in the assessment of the damage. You would have to remove burnt materials to assess what is underneath and if anything can be recovered. They would also remove anything which might present a danger to others on the worksite. They would be working along side the investigators and insurance people.
A restoration company is not a construction company. I think people are confusing one with the other.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

At the very least the restoration company would be securing the building (plywood over broken windows/doors) and possibly shoring up walls/ceilings where necessary so that the authorities can safely carry out their inspection.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

It is now declared arson. A gross form of wilful damage which is IMHO, the most nonsensical crime of all. The offender gains nothing through this crime and when it is public property that is destroyed.. they destroy their own property. If and when they catch the guilty creton, the courts should throw the book at them; and, if they are young offenders who's parents have done little or nothing to restrict/control their behavior, they should be held accountable as well. The District of West Kelowna may well have to divert funds that were earmarked for projects such as refurbishing of the Gelatly Bay ferry docks to the construction of a new community hall facility.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Treblehook wrote:It is now declared arson. A gross form of wilful damage which is IMHO, the most nonsensical crime of all. The offender gains nothing through this crime and when it is public property that is destroyed.. they destroy their own property. If and when they catch the guilty creton, the courts should throw the book at them; and, if they are young offenders who's parents have done little or nothing to restrict/control their behavior, they should be held accountable as well. The District of West Kelowna may well have to divert funds that were earmarked for projects such as refurbishing of the Gelatly Bay ferry docks to the construction of a new community hall facility.

I believe this property to be owned by the Westbank Lions, not the District Of West Kelowna. A rep from the Lions was standing beside me during the fire and he said they are well insured.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

That it was well insured is a very good thing. Regardless of who owned it, the premise served as a community hall for West Kelowna, did it not? With it being no longer useable, I assume that the responsibility now lies on the District of West Kelowna to provide some sort of structure for the community. It was very nice of the Lions Club to share their building up until the fire.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Taking a look at Community Halls in our local area, most are owned/operated by non-profit groups not the town or city that they are in. I am not sure that these types of facilities are the responsibility of the town, city or district. The Lion's will likely rebuild and continue to offer the same services to the community. What our District needs to do is build some infrastructure for the town hall and other municipal offices.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Response to Treblehook........
Why would you imply that the Lion's would no longer allow public use of the building when rebuilt or repaired? It would be an empty hulk if it were to be used just for Lions' functions. I would think the previous and future use is destined to be rented by the Lions and the income used by them for their wonderful causes.

I truly hope that the cause of the fire was not an ignorant attempt by someone or group to have the District of West Kelowna rebuild their city hall on this property which is owned by the Westbank Lions.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

The Lions Hall property is not big enough for a City Hall and the other amenties that are needed by West Kelowna.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Was not implyinganything in respect to the Lions and the use of their facility ... at least I didn't intend to imply anything. When the District finally gets around to building a City Hall, they ought to include within it one or two rooms of a suitable size for use of various groups and committees within the community involved in community oriented projects/causes.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

IMPO the size of the property needed for City Hall would have to be no smaller than 11,000 sq. metre's. Now some will say that's rather large, well I've included expansion as West Kelowna grows.
(this also includes parking)
So yes Westbank Community Hall would be to small.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Treblehook wrote:Was not implyinganything in respect to the Lions and the use of their facility ... at least I didn't intend to imply anything. When the District finally gets around to building a City Hall, they ought to include within it one or two rooms of a suitable size for use of various groups and committees within the community involved in community oriented projects/causes.

I don't understand your thinking at all. If a City Hall is built, I would expect that Boucherie Rec would be returned to its original purpose, as a public multi purpose facility.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Obviously I am not the person to debate where, what or who should provide a community hall/meeting place. Seems I know very little about it. The thrust of my post was originally about the fact the police have said the fire resulted from arson. I was mainly expressing the opinion that I hoped whoever was responsible gets caught and that they throw the book at them. Over and out!!!
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Thar blows the local news *medium again - messing up in fine style.

It's the Westbank Lions Community Hall. Many years ago, the Lions saved it from politicians. Give credit where it's due - not what the news medium wants it to be.

J

* Medium because it's very Rare that it is ever Well Done.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Does anyone know what is happening with the Lions Hall? I thought they would have done something with it by now. Maybe the insurance company is dragging its heals?

Return to “Central Okanagan”