Computer scamming

beaker2009

Computer scamming

Post by beaker2009 »

Just got a call this morning from a number (250-448-2300) and the guy tried dazzling me with the whole "Sir, every time your computer comes on the internet it alerts us to the fact that you have malicious content on your computer...if you turn on your computer and hold on the line, I will transfer you to somebody who will help you remove it." I had to ask again because the guy had a substantial East Indian accent. I tried to play along for a bit, so I tried to act as dumb as I could. Of course being a computer geek, I asked too many questions (asking him if it was spyware or malware on my computer), so of course after answering malware, he hung up on me.

I tried calling the number back and it doesn't attempt to ring, it just goes to the d/c sound. I know my mom has gotten a few calls like this, and board rules prevent me from saying what she tells them LOL

I just wanted to let people know that if you get a call concerning anything like that, please do not be fooled. Unless it's your internet provider (Shaw/Telus/Bell...whoever) they can't tell every time you go online ect...and if you did have a virus that was doing something to someone else's computer, then those people would contact your internet provider because they can not just find your info and call you up that easily.

These people try to trick you into doing something to give them access to your computer. So don't think that just because someone is trying to "help" you that they are in fact trying to help you....oh wait LOL I'm trying to help you right now :P
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Computer scamming

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - I get those calls frequently. The last time they called I told them my computer was fine but that my toilet was backed up and maybe they could come fix that for me. They hung up.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

New 'Windows' scam hits Kelowna
by Wayne Moore - Kelowna - Story: 88161
Mar 1, 2013 / 1:47 pm

A new variation of the 'Computer Virus' scam has hit the Okanagan.

A caller to the Castanet newsroom Friday morning says she received a call from someone claiming to be from a 'Windows' call centre based out of British Columbia.

The phone number that popped up on her call display even showed a BC number, 250-448-2300.

When Castanet called the number the line was silent for several seconds before emitting a busy tone.

She said the person sounded legit.

"He had my IP address, they had the number my computer was pinging. I didn't give it to them, they spouted it back to me. That's why I wasn't concerned at the beginning but as soon as they wanted to access my computer remotely, that's when the red flag went up. As soon as I questioned him he got a little irate with me."

"I'm on line right now with an actual Windows support team member and he's access my computer and he's fixing everything that would allow them to get onto my computer. He's refreshing my IP and stuff."

She has been told that with the basic information, if I have an open computer, they can access it through my internet connection.

If you get a phone call from someone telling you they need to gain access to your computer to fix a problem, hang up, it's a scam.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

They gave up calling me, most likely because I blank with their heads/minds.

But it was so much fun....... lol.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

I got a couple calls telling me they were Telus and I needed to turn on my computer blah blah.

The fact "Texas" came up on my caller ID made me suspicious.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

GordonH wrote:They gave up calling me, most likely because I blank with their heads/minds.

But it was so much fun....... lol.

Same here, maybe I should change my number.. Right now I am getting some car scam calls. well was, I think that after the last call they will stop.

Shame it was fun.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

I had the same call as was posted in Urbanes' post. Windows tech etc. I told him he was a scammer and said a few expletives including the F word and he went 'sorry' to me and hung up. Don't think he was expecting a woman to lose it on him and he was probably new - didn't realize he could hang up on me. lol I have also had calls from Florida lots lately but those are polls for US parties. When you tell them you're in Canada they go 'oh didn't know that area code was up there.' They have a list and our code and numbers are on it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Nobody like this ever calls me :(
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Every time they call me I tell them "Sure, plesae hold while I turn my computer on" and then I lay the telephone down turn on the tv and watch it. Sometimes they wait for 10 minutes before hanging up and sometimes they hang up in 3 but what they say while they wait is beyond me because the phone is under a cushion and I hang up after the telephone starts hollering at me.

Return to “Central Okanagan”