Peachland population will double within 10-15 years

waterwings
Übergod

Re: Peachland population will double within 10-15 years

Post by waterwings »

Where else do you think 250,000 immigrants a year are going to go - the lower mainland - read todays newspaper - no more densification is the cry.

The infrastructure here in the Okanagan water lines, sewers, hospitals, ambulance, etc. etc. needs some decent updating before that happens or we will be in the same position as those on the coast. Wait and wait some more.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

matai wrote:Thanks, was trying to see on Summerland map, it wasn't very clear. So basically, the development is not in Peachland nor in Summerland but these houses will have to pay property tax somewhere and have a civic address. That's interesting. If you ask a homeowner: "Where do you live?" What would be his answer?

So would it be wise for Peachland to ask to extend the boundary and generate extra revenues while increasing business growth in town like they did for Ponderosa? If I'm correct, they incorporated crown land to the District for that project.

Taxes will go to RDOS. People will likely say they're from Peachland.

Peachland can't just extend the boundary. An extension would have to include Brent Road and those people would have to want it. Then there's the problem of changing the boundaries of the regional districts. Peachland is in RDCO. Greats is in RDOS, which likely wouldn't want to give up the tax revenue.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

For what reason would all these newcomers move to Peachland? What would they do for jobs?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

grammafreddy wrote:For what reason would all these newcomers move to Peachland? What would they do for jobs?

1) Away from either of major centre's of the Okanagan, not to far.

2) I suspect large part would retirees next either work oil & gas industry or Kelowna/Penticton.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

kgcayenne wrote:I would love to see *removed/Jo* redeveloped into something that would be a true asset to the community.

If what was removed was the old *removed*/ferri then I completely agree. The pub underneath has improved greatly in the past year already.

Edit:

The commute from Peachland to Kelowna is what, 20-30 minutes to the bridge (non-rush hour)? I imagine the average lower mainland commute would be comparable if not more.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Just because it was edited out, doesn't mean it is not true.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

I agree with Flamingfingers. I too moved here in 76, it won't expand that much. They would have to change zoning so that more apartment like complexes are built. There isn't much land left here to build on and they can't extend the boundaries unless they do a lot more infrastructure. Hell, we are still waiting to get out sewer line in as it went all around our street.

Think it's just a blurb to see if they can get more funding for Fielding...haha. But I would like to see the downtown Beach Ave saved and the museum.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

southernfrau wrote:I agree with Flamingfingers. I too moved here in 76, it won't expand that much. They would have to change zoning so that more apartment like complexes are built. There isn't much land left here to build on and they can't extend the boundaries unless they do a lot more infrastructure.

Ponderosa is already approved for 2,300 homes. New Monaco is already approved for 2,800 homes.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nebula wrote:Ponderosa is already approved for 2,300 homes. New Monaco is already approved for 2,800 homes.

Are those all SFD?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

grammafreddy wrote:Are those all SFD?

No. Most are condos, townhouses, apartments.
shankari2
Fledgling

Post by shankari2 »

Ponderosa was approved in 2008/9, how many houses built so far? And the super hyped golf course, looking pretty slow, unlikely to open this year or even next! Monaco, nothing so far, going slowly, a wise move. Then what happened to all the developments on Princeton? Nothing so far. The Victoria development where the top of the mountain was blown off is looking dead, there is nothing build there. Then Trepanier Manor, now Table Top Mountain development, still only one house so far! Also a number of projects along the Highway south of Peachland, again nothing has happened but there are lots of for sale signs. Turner Park, another no-go!There have been some small projects, 8 to 10 houses that have done well, but these mega schemes seem to be dead or struggling.

I would not be getting too excited by these projections, first the economy has to pickup, and things are not looking great right now, whatever our governments say!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Last edited by matai on Oct 22nd, 2013, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I would not be getting too excited by these projections, first the economy has to pickup, and things are not looking great right now, whatever our governments say!

Yup. They're all 'planned', but that's a long way from built.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

matai wrote:Beside Ponderosa & New Monaco, when you look up the hill along Ponderosa Ave from Beach Ave you can see a lot of row houses being constructed over there.

Those are the first phase of housing at Ponderosa.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

matai wrote:10 years ago I do believe Peachland pop's was around 3,500. 10 years later there it's 2,000 more.

Believing something doesn't make it true, however.

Peachland Population:
1996 = 4524
2001 = 4654 {5 year growth rate = 2.9%}
2006 = 4883 {5 year growth rate = 4.9%; 10 year growth rate = 7.9%}
2011 = 5200 {5 year growth rate = 6.5%; 10 year growth rate = 11.7%; 15 year growth rate = 14.9%}

According to article the 15 year growth rate is going to jump from 14.9% to 100%. Sorry, buddy, but I'm highly skeptical of a 6 fold increase in grow in such a short time period.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”