Man loses control of vehicle in parking lot

omisimaw
Guru

Re: Man loses control of vehicle in parking lot

Post by omisimaw »

kgcayenne wrote:Driving lessons cost 3x more than they did 23 years ago. That's a significant deterrent for a lot of folks.

Agree.... too bad the schools do not include it in their programs...
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

omisimaw wrote:LOL guess you would have to ask someone who took an exam 50 years ago!
bottom line is there are some real valuable incentives to take the driving lessons..

I guess I nearly qualify, I took my first driving test about 47 years ago. It was a motorcycle driving test, I got my class 6 before my 5. The "tester" stood on the back porch of the Motor Vehicle Branch office in East Vancouver and told me to ride around the block. I made it around the block and that was my test.

Compare that to the present format where one first has to complete a skills test (ride through cones, etc etc) then the ICBC Road Test is comprised of two people following the subject in an ICBC vehicle in radio contact telling the subject where to go and what to do.

For my class 5 I drove around with a MVB road test guy, I'm not sure how different it is from now. The one exception is that the parallel parking test is now just optional. That I don't get. All these "smart" kids that know everything and we don't require them to parallel park.

As far as :

omisimaw wrote:A dear friend lost her father to an accident that did not have to happen. He was employed full time, under 55 but oh well.... She had tried for 3 years to get the doctors to report him to Motor Vehicle Branch, who would not do anything without two Dr.'s reports....

This must have been outside of BC, because in BC it is mandatory for a health professional to report someone and it only takes one, not two

Report of health professional
    230 (1) This section applies to every legally qualified and registered psychologist, optometrist, medical practitioner and nurse practitioner who has a patient 16 years of age or older who

(a) in the opinion of the psychologist, optometrist, medical practitioner or nurse practitioner has a medical condition that makes it dangerous to the patient or to the public for the patient to drive a motor vehicle, and

(b) continues to drive a motor vehicle after being warned of the danger by the psychologist, optometrist, medical practitioner or nurse practitioner.

(2) Every psychologist, optometrist, medical practitioner and nurse practitioner referred to in subsection (1) must report to the superintendent the name, address and medical condition of a patient referred to in subsection (1).

(3) No action for damages lies or may be brought against a psychologist, an optometrist, a medical practitioner or a nurse practitioner for making a report under this section, unless the psychologist, optometrist, medical practitioner or nurse practitioner made the report falsely and maliciously.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Not only was it in BC, it was less than 10 years ago right here in Kelowna.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

omisimaw wrote:Not only was it in BC, it was less than 10 years ago right here in Kelowna.

The law is pretty clear. There is no requirement for two doctors to report. The OSMV will also accept information from family but I don't think it gets the same weight a doctors report does.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

If one Dr. does not agree with the family another Dr. was deemed necessary...
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

omisimaw wrote:If one Dr. does not agree with the family another Dr. was deemed necessary...

Not quite what you said ".... Motor Vehicle Branch, who would not do anything without two Dr.'s reports"
If one doctor didn't think the person required reporting then that isn't "one doctor report" that's zero and since you couldn't get a "second" that's still no doctor reports.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

kgcayenne wrote:Driving lessons cost 3x more than they did 23 years ago. That's a significant deterrent for a lot of folks.

omisimaw wrote:Agree.... too bad the schools do not include it in their programs...

School budgets being what they are would mean that it is too expensive a course to offer. Vehicles, insurance, qualified instructors and other costs would make such a course unlikely to be instituted. As well it can not be offered in a learning block with up to 30 students at a time. How many kids a day could take driver training? And wouldn't they need to be skipping other classes to get their road hours in, etc?
And even if the education system offered it, parents would still need to pay for it as an elective course. (Which they do now by paying the driving schools, so no benefit for them!)
If it worked well to have Driver Education offered in schools, it would still be there.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They could do the theory and just not the hands on. Then at least some of them would know what a School zone was as they can't learn that from watching their parents.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Bsuds wrote:They could do the theory and just not the hands on. Then at least some of them would know what a School zone was as they can't learn that from watching their parents.

Extremely good thought!
We personally used all 3 methods with our brood. They got the school ed, the prof. driver school, and ma and pa with them until WE felt they were ready to leave the nest on their own wings.......
Yes it cost a bundle... back in the day I think it was about $250 for the professional training and then the school had a charge too but we got it back in credits on insurance to some degree.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Bsuds wrote:They could do the theory and just not the hands on. Then at least some of them would know what a School zone was as they can't learn that from watching their parents.

This is a good idea, they'd be able to cover a much wider variety of scenarios and such too.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Less than a month, and another Elderly driver crashes into a storefront.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#103012

An elderly couple was not seriously hurt when their car crashed into the front of Red Wing Shoes at Orchard Place Plaza.
Photo: Carmen Weld - Central Okanagan
Bill Horton blamed the incident on a possible vehicle defect.

BIll Horton says he was backing up the car with his wife in the passenger seat when the car lurched forward.

"I didn't have enough room to make the turn so I started to move forward to get a little bit more room and all of a sudden it just went into real high speed, just totally out of control until it stopped and hit the wall."

No one was injured in the accident and the front wall of the store stopped the car from entering the building.

Kelowna RCMP say no charges are expected to be filed and believe the incident may have been caused by a vehicle defect.

-- With files from Carmen Weld

Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GoStumpy wrote:Less than a month, and another Elderly driver crashes into a storefront.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#103012

"Kelowna RCMP say no charges are expected to be filed and believe the incident may have been caused by a vehicle defect."

Yes, it's a known defect in the area, it's the nut holding the steering wheel
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

this is being discussed in Kelowna where it belongs.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Central Okanagan”