Man loses control of vehicle in parking lot

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Man loses control of vehicle in parking lot

Post by GoStumpy »

A man lost control of his vehicle Sunday night, hitting two pedestrians, an SUV and a sign.

The elderly driver was heading into the parking lot of Dairy Queen, off of Hebert Rd., when his small four-door sedan struck a couple heading home with their groceries. Both were taken to hospital with undetermined, but non-life threatening injuries.

After the driver hit the couple he smashed into the back corner of a parked SUV, moving it a metre. There was a dog in the SUV at the time of the accident, but it seemed to be fine. The owner was in Dairy Queen when her vehicle was rammed.

The CARnage did not stop there. The man continued toward Dairy Queen where his vehicle took out the 'Do Not Enter' sign at the drive-thru. The sign, anchored two metres in the ground with cement, was pulled completely out of the earth.

The driver, who was walking around the crash scene with two canes, told Castanet his foot got stuck on the accelerator. He said he was not hurt.

The incident is under investigation.

You gotta be ____ing kidding me.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Man loses control of vehicle in parking lot

Post by Bsuds »

From watching this man in the video I had to wonder why he is still allowed to drive!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

May not be able to for much longer.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

What's to investigate?

Pull the old codgers licence and call it a day.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Alot of them out there....

everytime i see one that can barely walk or open a door get into a car i always think...sheesh a big accident waiting to happen.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Post by Jaide_d »

haha I can't believe he ran into a couple in a car, backed into an SUV, and then proceeded to hit the sign. Straight out of a Saturday cartoon haha.

Way too senile to be driving obviously. Reminds me of an old man I served at a restaurant I worked at. He needed me to help him put his pin in because he couldn't see the pad. Once he'd paid, he proceeded to take his keys out of his pocket and climb into his car... :O Slightly scary to think that these people are on the road still
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I am not opposed to periodic mandatory testing. I'd agree with randomly selected testing if it would help.

I have to comment though, on this part of Jaide's post:
Jaide_d wrote:...He needed me to help him put his pin in because he couldn't see the pad. Once he'd paid, he proceeded to take his keys out of his pocket and climb into his car... :O Slightly scary to think that these people are on the road still

Please do NOT assume the need for reading glasses means distance vision is also automatically impaired. There are millions of people who have great distance vision, but need 2.5x reading glasses. I'd be more concerned about the near sighted folks who don't get their eyes checked for driving even though they may really need to.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Post by Jaide_d »

kgcayenne wrote:I am not opposed to periodic mandatory testing. I'd agree with randomly selected testing if it would help.

I have to comment though, on this part of Jaide's post:

Please do NOT assume the need for reading glasses means distance vision is also automatically impaired. There are millions of people who have great distance vision, but need 2.5x reading glasses. I'd be more concerned about the near sighted folks who don't get their eyes checked for driving even though they may really need to.

Well he acted as though he was half blind just in his actions so somehow I don't think far sightedness was the only problem. He was old as hell and definitely should not have been driving
Last edited by Jaide_d on Oct 29th, 2013, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaide_d
Fledgling

Post by Jaide_d »

Also somehow I have the feeling that near sightedness is important in driving as well as far sightedness... there are things approaching close to you not just far away..
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Do you wear glasses?

Still, mandatory, random testing might do one or both of two things: 1. Suss out people who shouldn't be licencd; 2. Make each of us aware of our own habits lest we be called-upon for a test at random.

What mandatory, random testing WON'T DO, is take people off the road when they are determined to drive without a licence.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I'd like to see mandatory road tests with all license renewals (5yrs) - people of all ages. This would be a great way to proactively address blatantly bad drivers as well as those who's physical health may be declining. Much better than waiting for an accident to happen and then look at the driver.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Jaide_d wrote:Also somehow I have the feeling that near sightedness is important in driving as well as far sightedness... there are things approaching close to you not just far away..

Like what pedal is which :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

slootman wrote:I'd like to see mandatory road tests with all license renewals (5yrs) - people of all ages. This would be a great way to proactively address blatantly bad drivers as well as those who's physical health may be declining. Much better than waiting for an accident to happen and then look at the driver.

that is a terrible idea. I have been driving for 18 years and never been in an accident. Why exactly should I be punished by having to take a stupid test at an additional expense to myself when I already have a proven track record?

If you've been in an at fault accident then yes absolutely you should be tested but for drivers such as myself? no bloody way.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

mrj222 wrote:[that is a terrible idea. I have been driving for 18 years and never been in an accident. Why exactly should I be punished by having to take a stupid test at an additional expense to myself when I already have a proven track record?

If you've been in an at fault accident then yes absolutely you should be tested but for drivers such as myself? no bloody way.

You must be a good driver?
What's wrong with demonstrating that every renewal before being issued permit to continue?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

mrj222 wrote:that is a terrible idea. I have been driving for 18 years and never been in an accident. Why exactly should I be punished by having to take a stupid test at an additional expense to myself when I already have a proven track record?

It's a great idea - no one is infallible to bad habits. Did you get 100% on your course?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”