Where should we donate for children to enjoy

tracie107

Where should we donate for children to enjoy

Post by tracie107 »

Hi,

I would like some advice/ideas on how we should donate my Son's toys. When we emigrated from the UK we brought with us boxes & boxes of Thomas the Tank Engine toys - 8 huge boxes in total worth $$$$. There are trains, tracks, stations, remote control trains you name it we've got it & everything is in excellent condition. I don't want to give it to the Charity shop as I always donate to them. I don't want to sell it as it's not about the money - it's about making children happy!

So I would like some advice/ideas as to where or whom we should donate it all too!

Thanks.
Thanks Tracie
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Where should we donate for children to enjoy

Post by prairieflower »

tracie107 wrote:Hi,

I would like some advice/ideas on how we should donate my Son's toys. When we emigrated from the UK we brought with us boxes & boxes of Thomas the Tank Engine toys - 8 huge boxes in total worth $$$$. There are trains, tracks, stations, remote control trains you name it we've got it & everything is in excellent condition. I don't want to give it to the Charity shop as I always donate to them. I don't want to sell it as it's not about the money - it's about making children happy!

So I would like some advice/ideas as to where or whom we should donate it all too!

Thanks.

Why not try to give it away via various means on the internet. Many Moms (and Dads) seems to be going this route these days.
Facebook has sites for Kelowna and area, there are Freecycle networks etc.

Good luck!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Check your PM.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I'm a big child,have you any old Matchbox or Corgi toys? ;-)
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

Check your PM's
tracie107

Post by tracie107 »

1nick wrote:I'm a big child,have you any old Matchbox or Corgi toys? ;-)

No sorry I don't.
Thanks Tracie
tracie107

Post by tracie107 »

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am now looking into them all & will make phone calls over the next few days.
Thanks Tracie
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

My son LOVES Thomas the train stuff.

Having said that - Thomas the Train merchandise is expensive. While we certainly arn't wealthy, we can afford to buy the odd piece when birthdays, Christmas, etc comes up. However, people on a tighter budget (IE: single Moms) cannot afford this kind of stuff. So I suggest you try to donate to some low income families. Local churches may be able to help as they are often assisting lower income families that are part of their membership.

Oh! And BTW: Kudos to you for donating these toys instead of selling and putting the effort into donating to those that need it most! Community spirit is alive and well in the Okanagan despite what some may say!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I'd like to add my kudos to you as well.

I don't know much about Thomas stuff and don't know if it comes in "sets" and can be broken down so that more than one place or group of kids can benefit from your generosity. If so, perhaps a woman's shelter would be a suggestion? The kids who arrive there are often traumatized from emergency situations and Thomas is such a friendly, happy fella that he might make those kids feel better. Women's shelters are revolving doors so more kids can be helped rather than just one family.

Thank you for thinking of the community's kids. People like you are too few and far between those days.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Post by member »

If it can be broken down maybe some can go to the Children's ward at KGH. I know that when my son was ill he really enjoyed being able to play with toys in the playroom.

Return to “Central Okanagan”